Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much snow do you need?

Poster: A snowHead
How much snow do you need for a pieste to be skiable?

Just wondering as i'm due to be going to Les Menuires in the 3V on Boxing day, but so far according to the web cam they've only got about 2 cms of snow cover Sad not the end of the world i know as there is a little more higher up in Val Thorens.

I was just wondering how much snow to ask God for in my next prayer? snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's all down to the difference between grass and rock. The summer pastures are the desired ski terrain, because 15cm of snow can happily open them. The higher rockier slopes need much more snow.

Dedicated resorts put work into clearing (or pulverising) larger stones and rocks from their pistes in summer to minimise the amount of snow cover needed.

Ask God for a 13ft dump.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Rosiere is green and brown on the webcam, looks like a few feet is needed there as well. I think that we may need to pack walking boots, and about 3 sets of trousers for the kids, as they will bum board on grass / mud if there's no snow.

Les Menuires connected to Val T last year on Christmas day I think, there was loads of snow for 3 days before that.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jane, have a look at the la thuile webcam
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't worry, i guess i'm just having a last minute panik. Still a couple of weeks to snow before i arrive snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jane L, La Thuille is looking great, wish I was there now not five weeks time. How is La Rosiere that bad if it shares the same mountain? Which webcam are you viewing?
Try this one http://www.lathuile.it/winter/meteo/index.asp

David Goldsmith, A 13 foot dump sounds painful to me!!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cymru am Byth , But 13 feet is nothing if you are god Wink Look out below snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cymru am Byth, I guess http://www.larosiere.net/fr/webcam.html this weather stuff is a funny business Confused One side of mountain looking great the other side not so rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks pretty dire!! I have five weeks though so should be ok. Regardless, I'm on the other side so the snow looks better in Italy. Kept the site for future viewing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
five weeks........pah.........i only have 5 days........ Crying or Very sad Just hope there's enough to go "over the top" Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Speaking for the Grand Massif area, the Xmas snow last year really all arrived in a 36hr. dump starting the afternoon they should have opened. Quite incredible but almost a one off occurrence I'll bet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm looking at the same webcam as Dan. It looked much better last week.

Thanks for all the encouragement. The La Thuile site says 4 runs are open, they're not on the La Rosiere side though. It was much like this last year though, until that 36 hour fall. The day after that was fun. We're still hoping, and packing the ski stuff.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I go to wengen on the 21st dec. - and there is a blocking high pressure which is pretty static, which could mean no precipitation for another week!!! Crying or Very sad

I'm not desperately worried YET, but God and me just might have afew words in the near future if things don't pick up wink

Mrs BrianT has threatened divorce as she accuses me of having a snow obsession. My WIFE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND ME!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As above in DG's comment, 15cm is just about enough on grassland....our local area(in Northern Honshu) opened one lift yesterday(Tues) but with no snow forecast for the next week those 15cm could well be scraped away! Hokkaido has several areas open with between 40 and 70cms and they are getting snow even on the plains....grrrrrrrr Evil or Very Mad If the temps drop and they can make snow you might be OK Mac Daddy. Remember the Snow God is extremely thirsty this year and needs more than prayers snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brian T, there there, it's all right. Have a hug ((((( ))))))
Many people fail to grasp the severity of our natural and normal addiction to snow - it's a common failing.
You might find it helpful to accept the divorce and get on with finding a more suitable woman.
(am running fast now in case Mrs BrianT is reading this over your shoulder Shocked Embarassed wink )
snow conditions
Going back to the original question, how much snow do you need?

I would suggest that the answer is the same as the reply the oil tycoon Rockefeller gave to the question "how much money is enough?" - "Just a little bit more."
latest report
The simple answer to "how much snow do you need?" is - MORE! Always.
latest report
I knew if I looked that I would find better news. There's a low in the med. and a low over Russia - surely one of those can make it's way to the Alps?
latest report
Ray Zorro, great minds think alike!
latest report
Kramer, the same thought struck me. Quite bizarre that we should both think that way at exactly the same time. Smile
ski holidays
Indeed. What am I thinking about now? Very Happy
snow conditions
Kramer, I couldn't possibly put that into print!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy