Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I don't get shell jackets....

Poster: A snowHead
alex_heney, cotton is very bad in terms of retaining moisture. Really shouldn't be used in the layering of ski gear.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PJSki, It is still a natural fibre though.

I ski just fine with a couple of layers of cotton under a softshell.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, yeah sure it's natural, but it is also a sweat trap. If you've been sweating and it suddenly turns very cold, you could be in trouble.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agreed, I wouldn't use cotton either. Cotton T-shirts are great for casual use, but not for sports. I learnt that lesson years ago from mountain biking. As soon as you start sweating they turn into a soggy mess. Merino wool is my preferred base and mid layer choice. I much prefer it to the synthetics.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

Merino wool is my preferred base and mid layer choice. I much prefer it to the synthetics

And so, I'm sure, do your friends and relations. Put simply: wool and silk layers do not smell, synthetics do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, indeed. Merino may cost more than synthetics, but you won't need to wash it as much, so it will last longer. Also, you won't have to buy as much of it to get you through a week or two's skiing, so it works out very cost effective.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

Merino wool is my preferred base and mid layer choice. I much prefer it to the synthetics

And so, I'm sure, do your friends and relations. Put simply: wool and silk layers do not smell, synthetics do.

I find the exact opposite. My polyester and polyprop (with integral anti-bacterials) survive about twice as long as my merino, wick better and absorb far less.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, I've never heard of 'polyprop with integral anti-bacterials'. All I know is that my merino base layer (with a silk layer below if it's unusually cold) wicks very efficiently into my Berghaus thin fleece (which describes itself as being made of polyester), which in turns wicks into and (and presumably) through my Goretex jacket. At the end of the day, I'm warm and dry and the only smelly thing is the fleece. Where do I find this magic, non-smelly, man-made fibre?

I can't comment on comparative survival rates, all these things seem to go on for years.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, You'll find them under the 'X-Static' label. Man-made fibre with fine Silver thread interwoven. Silver kills Bacteria, so no smell. It also reflects body heat really well too, so clothing can be thinner, with the same insulation value. Spyder have had it for years, but they're not the only brand to use it now.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 25-04-08 10:12; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, interesting. Is this stuff cheaper than merino?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
having tried both, if think i am going to get really sweaty i'd rather have manmade - dries out quicker. for moderate sweatiness and below, i prefer merino
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PJSki,
It is a lot cheaper than merino and most companies now do a line in silver-impregnated base layers. I rate Odlo stuff myself, but I must admit I do think Smartwool has the edge as I don't feel as sweaty in it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, isn't one of the main points about merino that it's much better at wicking than synthetic?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think I'll take my chances with natural wool rather than silver impregnated man-made fibre Shocked
I've been using Icebreaker layers and Smartwool socks for the last 3 seasons and it still looks new, so I'm not worried about its longevity.
Other synthetics I've used previously pong too much for my liking.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PJSki, just from personal experience i find that wool stays wet longer if i really sweat into it - not necessarily a huge problem because it still regulates heat well. however, if i was running on a cool day, i'd rather have an old helly polyprop base on than a wool top

also, here's one mfr's recommendations:

http://www.patagonia.com/web/eu/product/shop/pbl_shop_landing.jsp?OPTION=PBL_LANDING
ski holidays
Arno,

Quote:
When should I choose Wool over Capilene Polyester?

* If you prefer the feel of a natural fiber on your skin
* For a fabric that's warmer for its weight than Capilene polyester
* For natural odour control that will not diminish even with repeated washings

When should I choose Capilene Polyester over Wool?

* For more fast-forward, aerobic activities
* For hot-weather activities (Capilene 1)
* For a quicker drying fabric
* If you have an allergy to wool

Some interesting facts there.
ski holidays
I prefer the Microfleece for drying out and Merino as a very thin warmth layer.
I'd say the Merino smells less but I'd wash them daily anyway
ski holidays
I can wear merino for well over a week until even I start to wince, even for spring riding Twisted Evil It always feels warm and comfy but when I take it off I realise it's still wet so agree with GrahamN and Arno. I use synthetics for summer MTBing and they wick better but stink after a ride. Only the Helly merino/synthetic mix (with antibacterial) remains as un-smelly as the pure merino. JT, I think Icebreaker pride themselves on the fact that some climber wore his for 56 consecutive days before washing... Shocked
latest report
OK, I've just finished my last week of the season and I've tried a few variations along the way but my "standard" clothing setup has become:- short sleeve Icebreaker merino with long sleeve Icebreaker over the top + TNF soft shell.
That setup has seen me through glacier skiing at the PSB where the mountain was melting away underneath us through cool whiteouts at the VT bash and a couple of cold days in between in an Austrian January.

On cold days the biggest change I've made is adding a buff, it seems to "plug" the gap round the neck and keep more body warmth in as well as keeping a layer on the neck/face. I always carry an extra, thicker, long sleeve layer in my backpack but only skied once in it this year - it tends to come out more for sitting around outside as the sun goes down.

On a hot day I'll loosen the shell hem-cord and lower the main zip a little to get some more airflow through, that way I can nip them back up on a slow, draughty chairlift ride without needing to lose a layer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy