Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Never thought I'd say this, but..............

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After really getting into off-piste skiing last week with a pal of mine who snowboards. I couldn't help feeling that he was having more fun on his board than I was on my skis!

The board seemed to float more.I was using Atomic Metron B5's and not full off piste skis.

Would a change to those give me a much better feeling?

I'm thinking of switching to the board for off piste!!!

Sacreligous to some I know but then again, why not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thin carvey stuff is always going to be way more hooky/unstable than fatter/less sidecut imo, and obviously float less than a snowboard with a massive surface area - probably a technique issue too though...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I never liked or wanted to do off piste untill I had better skiis for the the job
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jumping Jack Flash, you need bigger skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A snowboard is always going to have more float than skis. Whether that gives you a better 'feeling' than skis is up to you. Fatter (skis) will make off piste easier. Easier makes it less tiring. Less tiring makes it more fun....

On the other hand the most fun I've had off-piste has been on skinny, straight skis...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is no substitute for technique...

And how much fun do boarders have on a 45 minutes, 2km traverse out of all the powder? (Only 45mins cos we had boarders with us...)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch wrote:

And how much fun do boarders have on a 45 minutes, 2km traverse out of all the powder? (Only 45mins cos we had boarders with us...)

Should have been about 5 minutes on skis wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch wrote:

And how much fun do skiers have on their 2 hour dig for their lost ski?

(Powder ribbons are however cheaper than a splitboard)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm going to try fat skis next time but may spend a bit of time on a board. I've done it a bit in the past but have been put off recently by all the buckling/unbuckling etc at lifts. In other words, I'm too fat and lazy!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I may be being a grumpy skiier but i have allway thought that the point of off piste is to be IN IT hopefully up to your waist. Not on it as you may as well be back on the piste.

I have only had the pleasure of beeing in snow that deep once about 15 years ago but will never forget it. That was when i skied on omesoft (spelling i know).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jumping Jack Flash, use Flow bindings, and get out into the powder on a board. My son, an exceptional skier, and OK boarder, says the board is far more fun off piste, and also easier. He doesn't bother with boarding on piste. If there's no decent off piste, he skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
And how much fun do skiers have on their 2 hour dig for their lost ski?

Race bindings avoid that problem.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I've heard that from a few people which is why I'm coming round to the idea.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jumping Jack Flash,

I do both and even have started diverting my teles into the softer stuff (although 30 secs later I have usually done a nose plant as a result).
Boarding is IMO much easier and more "natural" than skiing in deep snow (until you come to a flat bit or fall when its a nightmare) and heaps of fun (In your own mind you can be Kelly Slater or Laird Hamilton). But as a consequence its also less challenging - you can point it down a relatively shallow pitch and think "well that wasn't much fun" while on skis you could still be having the time of your life with "gay" little bouncing turns.

Think seriously about whether you wouldn't be better buying some proper fat skis because the joy of carrying multiple sets of kit on holiday is pretty low IME.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy