Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February Half Term 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After many years of gently skiing the pistes of Europe my wife and I were surprised to learn that my sister's family (all novices) and other members of the family were very keen to join us. The trip would have to be in the February school half tern next year. I have an option on a chalet at Le Bettex (St Grevais-les-Bains) for the week 14 to 21 February 2009 which I have to confirm (or not) very shortly. So my questions are;

(1) Is the skiing at St Gervais/Megeve suitable for complete beginers and rather faint hearted intermediates?

(2) If flying to Geneva is it best to hire a car for the week or take a return taxi? Both seem to be about the same price.

(3) As St Gervais is 'only' 9 hours from the Tunnel is driving down a realistic alternative for a family? I have to drive as my wife won't fly but I'm sure the rest of my family would need to be persuaded as to the merits of self drive.

(4) Having never skiied a half term week surely it cannot be as bad i.e. busy as every body says it is...can it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rushcliffe, Hi and welcome to snowHead I haven't skied the area you mention, so can't usefully comment on 1). However, on your other points:-

2) If no difference in cost, and the chalet is within easy reach of the skiing and the village, not sure I'd bother with hire cars which may just sit outside the chalet for a week. If NOT close to lifts etc and chalet doesn't provide transport, then why not, as long as you're confident driving in snow or icy conditions
3) We've driven to Les Gets (roughly same distance, much of the same route) with kids and it's an easy drive, mostly on motorways which bear no resemblance to motorways here! Remember the tolls though
4) It WILL be busy but again, I haven't been to this resort which may be quieter than the bigger 3 Valleys or PDS resorts

Good luck Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rushcliffe, BTW we are going to St Gervais in the summer, so if you DO go, make sure you let us know what it was like!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have been to St Gervais several times and always at February half-term. It's a huge area when you include Megeve and its very suitable for beginners etc. There are lots of green and easy blue runs - many of the red runs are easy too. Its failing is that there is not a lot of very challenging skiing for higher abilities.
Most people stay at either Le Bettex or down the mountain in St Gervais instead (which we do as its a nice town with lots of shops bars etc) and travel up on the cable car each morning. If you stay in St Gervais I would travel by taxi as everything you need is in the town - if you are based in Bettex itself there is a lot less there so you might want your car. The other advantage of having a car is that you could go to Les Contamines for the day which is worth doing especially if the snow is dodgy as it always better there.
We have always flown to Geneva so I don't know about driving from Calais. The drive from Geneva is all motorway and takes about 1 hour although you can sometimes get caught in queues at the tolls on a Saturday.
It is busy at half term but not as bad as some other resorts - there is normally a bit of a scrum for the telecabine in morning but it dies down after about 10.30. Megeve attracts a lot of families from Paris - if your visit coincides with their holidays it will be busier. The last two times we have been Paris holidays have been a week later than UK half-terms and as a result it was quieter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rushcliffe, welcome to Snowheads. St Gervais is normally an easy drive from Calais, but nothing's easy at half term. To miss the worst of the traffic you'd have to time the journey carefully - and think about arriving in resort very early in the morning (or maybe very late at night!). If it's possible to travel Sunday/Sunday it would be a great deal easier. I guess you'd need to find out exactly where the chalet is located vis a vis the lift (and ski school meeting place for the novices) to decide whether you need a car in resort or not. Is it a self catered chalet? If so, shopping for a big group for a week without a car is a bit of a mission.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

My sister's now very keen to drive and has suggested that we hire a Ford Galaxy and go together. I think that'll work and at least we'll all arrive in the resort at the same time!!

I've found the piste map on www.megeve.com and there appears to be any number of greens and blue runs around Le Bettex and if many of the reds are really pinks (so I'm told) I'm sure every one will have a great time.

So the bullet's not just been bitten but really chewed up and spat out...the chalet deposit's been sent off and here's to next year!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy