Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Been skiing at the highest town of the country?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was a bit surprised by this site reporting

The highest town in France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Spain are

Val Thoren in Savoie at 2300m

Sestriere in Vialattea (Milky Way) at 2035m

Obergurgl in Tirol at 1930m

Juf in Graubunden at 2126m

Oberwiesenthal in Saxony at 914m

Valdelinares in Teruel at 1693m

Did ski in Val Thoren and Sestriere, visited Obergurgl in Jan 08 to check it out and will come back as it is next to Solden,

Planning to go to Davos next season but not sure if Juf has any skiing facilities.

I think skiing in German's Oberwiesenthal is the cross country type.

Valdelinares is apparently one of the smallest skiing resort in Spain, with 10 lifts, 9 runs and 8 km piste.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, must try and get to Valdelinares - it's about 90 mins drive from our house out there (though we don't tend to visit in the winter cos there's no heating).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Odd how many seem to claim that accolade, here's another

Briancon in France at about 1200m
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen Briancon clain the highest town Davos claim the highest City and St Veran claim the highest traditional village. Is it like mountains though? and there is actually something higher lurking in the Caucasus that Western Europeans don't talk about.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oberwiesenthal actually has a fairly large downhill area (by Northern German standards), and there has been talk of linking it up with a Czech ski area as it lies right on the border. With the Czechs in the Schengen now, I guess it could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'd like to check it out sometime, but from Berlin it is actually easier and cheaper just to fly to the Alps (because German bureaucrats have decided my driver’s license is no good here). I think there are better places to xc in the area.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ami in berlin where was your licence issued?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Washington State, USA.

After living in Germany for six months, a non-EU license is no longer valid.

Every American state has to sign a seperate agreement with German gov't to exchange licenses. From some states, all you have to do is head down the office and have it exchanged. From others, you still have to take a test. From Washington, there is no agreement, so I would have to go through hours of expensive driver's training and pass the exam. Never mind that I have driven accident free for 15 years.

In a city like Berlin, I usually don't mind not having a car. And I certainly don't mind not having the expense. But there are times when it would make life a lot easier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saikee, you modestly don't mention your own exploits in skiing from the highest village in England, so I'll do it for you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What a PITA. But if you hired a car, how would the hire company know you hadn't just stepped off a plane? Or does your passport have a resident visa? You could maybe consider applying for an International Driving Permit, or have you thought of that and it won't work for you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
vetski, insurance!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
vetski wrote:
What a PITA. But if you hired a car, how would the hire company know you hadn't just stepped off a plane? Or does your passport have a resident visa? You could maybe consider applying for an International Driving Permit, or have you thought of that and it won't work for you?
My passport does have a resident visa, but they wouldn't check that. The police officer who pulled me over would, though.

It's silly. I can and have driven in Switzerland and France, but I can't do it legally in Germany.

An International Driving Permit is only an adendum to your original license. It would have the same validity, or invalidity, as my regular license. Yes, I've explored that option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In January I skied Lowther Hill in Dumfries and Galloway from Wanlockhead - Scotland's Highest Village Little Angel
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought the highest in spain is Pradollano sierra nevada at 2100m?? Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee wrote:
I was a bit surprised by this site reporting

The highest town in France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Spain are

The page actually says settlement, not town. In which case in Austria the correct answer is Kuhtai, which (according to wikipedia) is 2017m. Compared with Obergurgl which is a mere 1930m (according to wikipedia).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW,

Are we splitting hair again. The title of the link is "List of highest towns by country"

what...snow,

If the highest English town or village is Alston and you are linking it to Yad Moss then the two are miles apart.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy