Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder crushed by piste basher in Valais, Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
In a tragic accident, a snowboarder died after being crushed by a piste basher late on Saturday afternoon in Les Collons in the canton of Valais. The 23-year-old was knocked over by the vehicle. The driver, who failed to realise that he had hit anyone, crushed the young woman with his next manoeuvre....Source: http://www.lenouvelliste.ch/fr/news/valais/ecrasee-par-une-dameuse_9-76067
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How awful Sad

A couple of weeks ago I was skiing in a white out and could hear the piste bashers moving around. It wasn't until I was nearly on top of them that I could see them. I have to confess to being a bit concerned at the time. A good reason to wear dayglo orange?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The accident happened at 7.35pm and the piste closed at 4.30...

Dreadful.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Absolute awful. Tragic.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A week ago, I was skiing in a clear day. I was too busy looking up the hill at a trail merge. I failed to pay attention to this giant machine coming from BELOW me!!!

Yes, they do make sounds. But with certain snow condition, the ski made so much noise I couldn't hear them coming!!!

30 seconds difference between live and die.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A very tragic accident and an awful way to go, but you do wonder what on earth she was doing on a piste 3 hours after it had shut Puzzled Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
as I noted when there was a previous death (during piste opening hours) the piste bashers are not allowed on the slopes during the day round here. If it gets churned up, you just get some practice at skiing less than perfect conditions. That seems a good policy to me. We sometimes have to wait for a piste to open after heavy snow, while they piste it; never, ever, are the machines and the skiers allowed on the slopes together. I feel very sorry for the driver of this machine too; the snowboarder had presumably got lost and just managed to stumble back onto the piste. I wonder if it was dark?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have heard of a few piste users flying around with a MP3/iPod and loud music in the ears claim they have no problem of avoiding running into other piste users.

Just wonder if that applies to a piste basher.

If I am not mistaken the machine emits a loud warning beep continuously if on the move. Accidents do occur though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
an awful accident and I agree with Pam W you have to feel so sorry for the piste basher driver he couldn't have been expecting anyone on the piste at that time of the evening.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They're not the easiest things to see out of either. I think you have to be responsible for your own safety around these machines i.e assume the driver cannot see you and keep out of its way! A bit like crossing the road. Some people rely on cars avoiding them, rather than the other way around.

Very sad in this case that someone got killed.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saikee wrote:

If I am not mistaken the machine emits a loud warning beep continuously if on the move. Accidents do occur though.

Optionally, like when on an open slope during the day. Not 3 hours after the resort shut.

The real question is, why was the guy, who was 50 years old, up the mountain at all.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ronald wrote:
saikee wrote:

Optionally, like when on an open slope during the day. Not 3 hours after the resort shut.

The real question is, why was the guy, who was 50 years old, up the mountain at all.

He was driving the basher....

the snowboarder was 23 who was run over. I think perhaps you need to re-read TFA
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ronald wrote:

Is there an age limit for going up mountains then?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tragic accident but you are back to personal responsibility if you ever look at the bottom of a lift station there are plenty of signs warning about the dangers of after hours skiing in resorts! Other than piste bashers you have tow cables and pipes from the snow cannons!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ronald wrote:
saikee wrote:

Even with the warning beeping off, at 7.30pm I would have thought it would have been dark? The bashers I've seen crawling over the mountains have all had incredibly bright lights.
ski holidays
Is it really likely to be dark at 7.30pm at this time of year? It's not going dark until after 8.30pm over here.
latest report
Perhaps. In that case even the lights (had they been on) could have been missed I suppose.
ski holidays
Maybe she was injured and stranded. I guess suicide could also be a possibility. All too horrible.
snow report
laundryman, she wasn't alone.
snow report
Hurtle, ah ... I should've taken the trouble to wade through the French.
snow report
I was at Les Collons earlier this year. I would guess that the lass in question was at Thyon (eating and/or drinking) then went back to Les Collons via the slopes. I almost did the same, having a drink at the Thyon, and noticed the the slopes were almost empty, quickly boarded down just as the slopes were closing (4:30). Dreadfull Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
She was a local and so, presumably, was her companion (whose story had not been heard at the time the article was written) so they should have known exactly what they were doing, and the risks they were running.

Incidentally, although Ronald had misunderstood the story, in thinking that the victim was 50, I'm intrigued to know why he thinks a 50 year old has any less business to be up the mountain than someone of any other age.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Incidentally, although Ronald had misunderstood the story, in thinking that the victim was 50, I'm intrigued to know why he thinks a 50 year old has any less business to be up the mountain than someone of any other age.

Playing Devil's Advocate, maybe he was simply implying that a man of that age ought to have sufficient sense to assess the risks (ie they were not a 13 year old separated from their parents)
snow report
pam w wrote:
although Ronald had misunderstood the story, in thinking that the victim was 50, I'm intrigued to know why he thinks a 50 year old has any less business to be up the mountain than someone of any other age.

Damned right!! I still ski at 60, just taught my partner and she's nearly 58 and many resorts give free passes to anyone 70+.

Irrelevant agist comment! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads Tatra Man, nice gentle entry... wink Laughing
ski holidays
I read Ronald's comment as asking why someone was up the mountain at that time of night. Oh, and by the way, the guy was 50.
snow conditions
Mark Hunter wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads Tatra Man, nice gentle entry... wink Laughing

Hi Mark and thanks for the welcome! Do forgive me, I've been around fora for quite a while and admin a couple myself so I'm sorry if I waded in as though I've been here for years!! wink

As said earlier, it was the piste-basher driver who was 50 and male, the snowboarder was 23 and female and was on the piste nearly 3 hours after closing when it would still have been light. I believe she also had a male companion with her.
latest report
Tatra Man, absolutely no apology necessary or required. Quite a justified comment if the perceived sleight was genuine IMO.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tatra Man, welcome to Snowheads, youngster. wink By the time you're 60 the age for free passes will be 80. Mark my words.
latest report
One thing the report says which no-one has commented on is that the boarder and her companion moved from the right where it is reported that the driver had spotted them to the left behind the machine where he didn't see her and reversed over her.

The problem with boards, of course, is that it's so much more difficult to move about in an emergency.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 15-04-08 17:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
pam w wrote:
Tatra Man, welcome to Snowheads, youngster. wink By the time you're 60 the age for free passes will be 80. Mark my words.

Yeah - I guess you mean by the time I'm 70, Pam, but I expect you'll be right!! Anyway - 9 more seasons to pay for! wink snowHead
snow report
bertie bassett....

Wow the friendlyness....

So i misunderstand the french... If it were greek to me i'd have more chance to get it right... Geez...

Why the sneer, simply correct me like others did... I'd only expect such a sneer from someone native French to be honest...

Elizabeth B, thats right, thanks.
snow conditions
Ronald, see it as a compliment to your written English! It is so good that, unless he had met you, he would never know that you are Dutch! (Well, I didn't Cool .)
ski holidays
Ronald, Hartelijk welkom... Smile (and anyone who has heard me speak Dutch will def know I'm English Embarassed )
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
I read Ronald's comment as asking why someone was up the mountain at that time of night. Oh, and by the way, the guy was 50.

Exactly how I read it. Ronald, your English is terrif.
snow report
Frosty, Hurtle, maggi, Reminds me of the time I asked in "Franglais" for salad in the French alps "sans preservatif" hoping to get a salad without dressing, the waiter giggled his head off as I'd just asked for salad without a condom. Mrs F'y still LOVES to tell people this story...
snow report
Frosty, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty, you can can get an STI (Salad Transmitted Infection) that way!
snow conditions
Frosty, was it a female or male waiter?
ski holidays
Christopher, Female, which I think made it funnier for everyone around me Embarassed Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy