Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone fancy a trip to Jackson Hole next season? Looking at going in March - ideally for 10 days - but 14 could be on.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, tempted! You going to hook up with Bob Peters?

We're off to Utah for the first week of March if you wanted to come down that way, you'd be welcome to hook up.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat, I've never skied in the USA - so I really don't have a feel for what gives yet. I understand the what we consider off-piste in Europe is largely 'in-bounds' in the States. OTOH, if I don't know the best of the runs and what they may entail, I guess it's best best to hire a guide? Judging by this TGR thread it seems to be a good idea - and Bob Peters is a top man. Also like the idea of Utah - thanks for the friendly invitation. Just a week?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, just a week in March. 7 of us going to a small resort which only had 10 metres of snow this season, and is closing with a base of 3.4 metres at the summit, and 2.3 metres at mid station.

Bob is a great guy - go on to Epic and PM him. If you let him know you're a friend of mine, he'll probably help, or maybe just present you with my bar bill from the last time! Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, this is beginning to look promising. One week is too short a time for me in the States - I jet lag up to the eyeballs when I come back from a States trip - so like a reasonable time out ther to compensate for the grief. But I could add on to the skiing a visit to family.

I'll keep my options open for the moment - another possibility might be a visit to JH and then Resort X wink in Utah - but I am not sure whether that would make sense with flights.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah I would be up for somthing like this guys Keep me posted
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, you could drive to Resort C in about 5 hours from Jackson, or take a flight (about an hour) in to SLC, then a 40 minute transfer to the resort.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, Ordhan, beginning to look good. I'll keep in touch.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would resort C formerly be known as Wolf something or other & Park City East?

I'd be interested in a split fortnight J Hole & SLC but would favour the ad hoc storm chasing model rather than booking up a long time in advance. there's plenty of motels both places that mean there is no need to commit a long time out (bar flights).

You really don't need a guide inbounds in the US - if you can see it you can ski it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, it might be. Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll keep an eye on this.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
You really don't need a guide inbounds in the US - if you can see it you can ski it.

But with a guide, you can ski lines nobody can see! Smile

You're quite right one doesn't "NEED" a guide for avi safety, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe....just maybe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
fatbob wrote:

But with a guide, you can ski lines nobody can see! Smile

You're quite right one doesn't "NEED" a guide for avi safety, though.

Guides are good for finding the secret stashes although they won't be giving up their own private faves that easily. Its more fun finding them yourself though.

However most places don't even have guides but more "freeride group sessions" which amount to the same thing plus a bit of tuition thrown in.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You might also want to keep an eye here...

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=66729
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, interesting. Should we try to make this a combined epic/snowheads thing? Or just let the tow drift together side by side?
ski holidays
achilles, Epic have their "Gathering" (a bit like a bash, but more free-form) every year, and normally change locations. I've been to a couple, and they are a good laugh - normally there will be someone from the resort to show you around, groups will go at whatever pace they want to, you all meet up at the end of the day, perhaps have a tailgate BBQ... http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=54489
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks, I'll have a good look at the epic thread this evening.
snow report
For inbounds, I don't think you'll need a guide at all, and as fatbob says, you'll ski what you see..and if you keep your eyes peeled and ask about, you'll get to most things, I'd have thought. If this isn't the case, then look for a guide whilst out there.

I might like the idea of this but will need to see what sort of dates are being considered. March for 10 days sounds like a good starter.

I don't know how formal you will want this to be... so I will see what ideas develop.
snow conditions
There is a cracking pocket sized book which tells you all the inbounds runs (inc many, many, not marked on the piste map), has details on difficulty of run, and also consquence of a slip rating!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Hole-Ski-Guide-Viola/dp/1575401126/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208264023&sr=8-2&tag=amz07b-21

Note the review Wink
ski holidays
I will definitely be heading back to JH next year as I have a free steep and deep camp to use up in 2009 Smile
not sure what the dates are for next year yet though .......

but it would be kinda cool to meet some snowheads
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, OK read the epic thread. Will they think we are raining on their parade if we let them know we are watching them - and thinking of flying over?
ski holidays
achilles, no raining on a parade, Epic are a friendly bunch who'll let anyone in (unless you spend your time telling them that they are all idiots)
Best thing to do is to sign up, say hello, tell them that you got pointed to the thread/forum by me, and then join in.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Done Very Happy
ski holidays
achilles, i'm always looking for people to ski with, my husband tolerates one trip a year but i need more! So i'd be certainly interested in a trip! Please let me know as plans are formed . . .
latest report
snobunni, will do. Want to do a little cross-checking with a mate who may want to come with me, a family member I plan to visit in the States, and (ahem) Mrs a, before I start suggesting dates to pencil in.
snow conditions
achilles, I take it this is steep/deep/gnarly etc etc?
ski holidays
Hurtle, I'm guessing that achilles & co will want to go fairly steep & deep, but the Epic Gatherings are just a bunch of people skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, I have survived an Epic event, without going too steep, deep or gnarly!
ski holidays
achilles, awesome, keep me posted . . .
snow report
Achilles, I would be interested. Committed 1st week March in Europe. 3rd and 4th best.

What level of performance are you after ? I would like to do SCGB week ,if they repeat mid Feb, but might be refused as I could be over age barrier. I am purple plus on their scale.
BTW, excellent article on JH in the Winter 08 edition of The BMW magazine with good photos. Don't have the car, just a friend who does.
snow report
Time to revive this one, Achilles, Sir. Any progress ?
snow report
Resort C sounds like the Canyons Very Happy
snow conditions
ill have to keep an eye on this Very Happy
ski holidays
Bump- inspired by the bargain NWA flights available booked for a fortnight beginning March rtn flight to SLC , don't propose booking anything else just yet
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy