Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best family resorts for snow in April?

Poster: A snowHead
We have just returned from a great week ski-ing with friends in Arc 1950, it is a lovely resort, nice and high for good snow, car free, pretty and ideal for kids running and messing about.

However it is expensive there, not helped by the current strength of the Euro of course. We may return next year, but I would like to bring the costs down a little!

Can anyone recommend any similar, high resorts that would are great for the ski-ing and great for families

PS Kids will be around 11-13, don't want any organised facilities etc. ...... kids + snow + safe-environment is all you need)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonx, in April, it's so variable. This year the snow is pretty good all over - we've been skiing this morning between 1500 - 2000m with superb conditions. But this time last year it was pretty dismal. Most high places where you can be most sure of snow in April (e.g. Val Thorens, Tignes) can be a bit bleak. It's a quiet time - you could afford to book some flights well in advance then wait till the last moment to find accommodation when you know what the snow cover is like. There are masses of empty apartments all over the Alps at the moment. Some good deals in catered chalets, too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
simonx, I would strongly consider Obertauern if I were you. A good mix of blues and reds to develop confidence on, and austria is cheaper than France. No problem with snow in April there, we had a great week there last year.

I have just returned from Alpe d'Huez and that may fit your bill, a great sports centre for apres activities and high altitude skiing. You can do a helicopter trip to Les 2 Alpes for the day as well. The downside from our point of view was that the higher runs were all reds or blacks and beyond the capability of all our group, whereas lower down where the easier runs were, it tended to get a bit soft as the day went on.

Tignes may well suit you, but it will be every bit as expensive as Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from Colorado - where they've had the best snow on record for April.
It's usually very good in April - this is at Arapahoe Basin.

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simonx, Les Deux Alpes is well worth considering. It's high (up to 3600m) and I've had good conditions there the last 2 April's. It's also very reasonably priced. I visited there and Alpe D'Huez for a recent 2 week trip at Easter and it was by far the cheaper of the two.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaprun, skiing on the glacier
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all.
What is the cost like going to N. America?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
simonx, not as much as you'd think! Probably-depending on where you go and what time-comparative to the cost for the same amount of time in a fairly sweet European resort.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm .... snowHead

Can anyone suggest somewhere in N. America for 1st week (or so) April next year - needs good snow record of course, and very easy piste access. Good ski-ing and good accomodation are the priorities, we have little need for apres ski - just somewhere to have a bite to eat and a drink. Minimising jet lag would be good - so east-ish???

Cheers!

PS This will be Easter - proper Easter and Easter school holidays.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are just going for one week you will not likely save any money by going to NA simonx. If going for 10 days or longer NA can work out cheaper than europe comparing like-with-like.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
very easy piste access

I think it's usually bus or drive to the pistes in many NA resorts, isn't it? The one time I came within an ace of booking a last minute (and apparently pretty good value) package to Colorado for 10 days I made the mistake of checking the lift pass price before paying my deposit. AAARGGH. It was about the same as the package deal cost (January). Did a last minute package with Le Ski to Couchevel instead - would also have been super value, with excellent tuition from New Gen, if we hadn't bought an apartment on the way home!! But with favourable dollar exchange rate, that should have made a big difference to the affordability of NA trips. Not worth all that flying and driving for a week, though. snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can I just add a second recommendation for Obertauern. Just got back from a very nice week there.
There's a lot of easily accessible skiing and for most of the hotels you're only a short walk from a lift.
Ski schools pick up by minibus from the hotels if your hotel isn't next to the slope already (which most of them are) so you don't have to rush breakfast too much to get 9.00 am lift for ski-school at 9:30.
And it's only an hour from Salzburg!
Hamish
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My son went to Lake Tahoe at the end of March this year. In previous years he has been to Davos, Mayrhofen, Tignes and Ischgl in April. He rated Tahoe as easily the worst snow conditions he has ever seen in April, even worse than Mayrhofen in mid April.

I would have thought that with kids of 11 and 13 (same age as mine) that most resorts are reasonable. We've been to many, the only one we didn't think suitable for the kids was La Rosiere. It's difficult though to cut costs much below the high French resorts in April. We have been using Swiss youth hostels, in Davos and Zermatt for skiing, these are good value with excellent half board and you can get a cheap flight then add on a swiss transfer ticket for the train which is about £56 per adult, kids free.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
simonx,

Sunshine Village, Banff, Lake Louise.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
simonx, The other side of the Vanoise. We did a week in Belle Plagne in April. Stayed with Crystal in The Tourquise Hotel. Amazing location for ski in, ski out and great runs all round the place for the kids. Cheaper alternative than 1950 for sure.
snow report
johnboy wrote:
simonx,

Sunshine Village, Banff, Lake Louise.

And of course Sunshine does actually have a ski in/ski out hotel up the mountain!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy