Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bumper season for French ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
According to a recent study by Protourism 2007-2008 is shaping up to smash records for French ski resorts. Ski lift turnover for the season should reach 1.2 billion euros, smashing the previous record of 1.04 billion set in 2005-2006 and wiping out memories of the nightmare 2007 season....

See: http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/128/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, the prices have gone up then wink .Lies, damned lies and statistics...... what is the like for like figure?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx. On the contrary, when we bought our season passes we were given an 8% discount on last year's prices because of the poor conditions and many closures last season. That was a nice gesture to regular customers. Though maybe fortunes were mixed last season. Our part of the Espace Diamant (Les Saisies) actually had a bumper year last year because snow was so much better than in many neighbouring areas. It would be good if this was a better season all round; so many livelihoods depend on it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, I always think your ski areas sounds like a gem Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx, it is, though the more challenging skiing over in Notre Dame de Bellecombe closed on Friday. Been out this morning - snow excellent, whole empty pistes. There's been an explosion of English speakers this season - and the people we have spoken to have all been ecstatic about the place. So I think I'll shut up now; don't want to get overrun!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w,

Been to Crest Voland in 1992 and 2001. The area is a real treat. Would love to go back
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, ah, but there are lots of new lifts now - you can ski to Praz sur Arly and back without taking your skis off!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, is it true that a link is being built to Megève (Rochebrune) from Praz?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, I've neen told that - I've got a little place in Combloux, nr Megeve, and last time I skied round there with an estate agent friend, he said it was being talked about...but also that it had been talked about for quite a few years!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
vetski, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
vetski, Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

sorry
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, Thanks for that, it goes some way to explain why twice this season I have been asked to fill in a survey that was asking about beds and occupancy in my appartment Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hyperbole-tastic!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vetski, indeed. There's been talk of a Megève - Les Contamines link for years too. First it was a funicular from Côte 2000, then a low-level link via St Nicholas, now a chair up to the summit of Mt Joly. I've been told that the Praz link is really, really happening this summer though. I wonder how the passes will work (Megève being Evasion and Praz being Espace Diamant)?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It sounds like visitors, revenues and average liftpass prices all went up in France this season.
snow conditions
Whitegold, revenues follows from the other two. wink
snow report
laundryman, I had also heard that the pass issue was a sticking point - one of them uses SkiData technology and the other doesn't, so I was told, and there was no compromising. I guess if the link really is happening, some for of agreement must have been reached (hopefully not the kind that involves one having to pick up a day pass somewhere en route!). Is it true that Espace Diamant was created specifically to try and see off the Evasion Mont Blanc threat?
latest report
vetski, I hadn't heard that. I'd assumed it was part of the general trend to create linked areas.
latest report
Quote:
I've been told that the Praz link is really, really happening this summer though.

laundryman, who told you that? I'd be very surprised; there are a number of legal hoops to jump through and strong ecological opposition. The following link, on the French forum for Les Saisies, gives a list of the works proposed throughout the Espace Diamant in summer 2008. The guys who run that forum are pretty well informed; I don't think they'd miss such a crucial piece of news.

http://lessaisies.aceboard.fr/87812-58-4341-0-Suivi-travaux-Espace-Diamant-2008.htm
snow report
pam w, some Megève locals. They've been over-optimistic (depending on your PoV) before though, so I wouldn't be completely surprised if it doesn't happen.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
It sounds like visitors, revenues and average liftpass prices all went up in France this season.

I wonder how accurate the survey is? The SNTF publish figures at the end of the season although I doubt there will be a huge change now. However skier days seems stable so why the big jump in turnover? The survey says rich Brits etc. The only idea I could come up with is they tend to buy an area rather than a section pass.

Still good news for ski resorts esp. given that the snow wasn't great until March.
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
vetski, I hadn't heard that. I'd assumed it was part of the general trend to create linked areas.

Yep, apparently Les Arcs and La Plagne are going to be linked at the end of this year again Toofy Grin
snow conditions
boredsurfin, maybe.
ski holidays
Figures on the Pyrénées published by the Pyrenean Tourism Office.
http://www.20minutes.fr/article/225447/Toulouse-Bilan-provisoire-mitige-pour-les-stations-de-ski-des-Pyrenees.php

As of March 7, it is 8.38% more skier days than previous season, but 13% less compared to the average of the past four seasons.
ski holidays
I've added the results for some of the Pyrenean resorts

http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/128/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy