Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Carriage Fees? Love 'em or Loathe 'em?

What's your attitude to Ski Carriage fees?
Quite reasonable. Happy to book them in advance.
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Unfair, but book in advance anyway.
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
Fair, but leave it until the airport before I pay.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Most unfair. I do everything possible to avoid the rep.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I refuse to pay on principle. If my skis are left in the UK I buy new ones.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I avoid operators that charge carriage.
21%
 21%  [ 8 ]
I have no strong opinion.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
I don't fly, but still think it's unfair.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
I don't fly, but it sounds quite reasonable to me.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Blighters! I lie and say I've already paid.
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 0
Total Votes : 37

Poster: A snowHead
I wouldnt have much objection to paying the excess except....

I dont take a suitcase or any extra baggage, just a boot and ski bag, so that kind of defeats the argument regarding number of bags, or weight...

I still feel its yet one more 'hidden' charge that tour ops sneak on to make their inital price look good..

And this year, they even seem to have started adding an 'extra' regardless of which airport you fly from, even the default 'gatwick' one, and an extra £10 for airport tax !!! Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its called and airport security charge- its been levied by the airport authorities for additional security requirements post 9/11, should be £9 per pax and is a standard operator charge im afraid.

Basically tour operators only rip you off if you just sit there and take it, shop around, book when the preview editions come out if you can, they all beat each others prices so ask for quotes, my big tip is book on their websites if its under £400 per person if not call in.

And pre book your ski carriage! Its not for my benefit im saying this but I get people calling in all the time whove spent loads on the trip and their equipment only for them to get to the airport and the plane wont take their skis- theres only a certain number of skis per flight etc So basically cover yourself, you wouldnt go on holiday without insurance and hope you got away with not getting injured would you!?!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How can they justify an extra £9 per person for 'increased security requirements'? Surely this implies the security was pretty rubbish before 9/11 or they're just using 'the war on terrorism' as an excuse to improve their operating margins.

If the airport in Brussels that Ryanair uses can make money (which it does) on a couple of euros per passenger in total, then why does BAA need £9 per person extra just for 'increased' security?

Sounds like we're being scammed to me!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Simple Matthew. Its just tax.

Unfortunately in UK we dont have a proper income tax set up, so the govt (whichever colour) can say its lowering taxes. But its all added onto everything else they can think of. Like speed cameras. Evil or Very Mad

Which does two things.

1. makes the cost of living in UK incredibly high compared to elsewhere, with all the knock on bad effects to the economy, cos people buy less, thus less shops etc etc. Skullie

2. Is a self perpetuating thing, as more and more cash is spent collecting and regulating and so on. And of course all those tax collectors will vote for the government which gave them their jobs. NehNeh

I'll stop here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmm, if the £9 per person charge has been post 9/11, how come this is the first time they've charged me in the past 2 years, in 7 package tours,.... ?
Or the first time this year, and only on my last booking ?

Its not the paying it that I object to so much, if the price is to high I go elsewhere.. its the sneaky way the likes of iglu, 'forget' to include that and other charges in their advertised deals.... sharp practice essentially...

And yes, I always book my ski carriage ahead, I'm not about to chance my skis not getting on the flight, even tho its not a guarentee...

Had enough hassle with Ryanair to risk that again !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
theyve probably just stuck it on the base price before but now they have to break down the charges- dont shoot the messenger!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just spoke to a large ski travel agency and they are most surprised to hear that around 25 people so far this season have been forced to leave their skis in the UK, or pay high excess-baggage fees.

They are sure they'd have heard about it if this happened in a significant number of cases. As far as they are aware, things have not got 'stricter' in enforcing payment or penalising non-prepayment.

Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was just telling you how my experience of the system.

People call up all the time, usually the day theyre flying to ask to add on ski carriage because they didnt take it at time of booking and they dont want to pay excess.

we cant do that at that stage, - its down to the discretion of the airline- and they , through the baggage handlers can charge what they want. Its all covered in the terms and conditions in the brochure- they have ways of getting out of everything- thats why you have to listen to 5mins worth of terms and conditions every time you ring up to book

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 26-02-04 13:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Maybe you'd like to call my boss too?

Don't worry, I'm convinced as to your viewpoint. I have little doubt I'd hear the same thing from your boss.

However, I am interested in broadening the range of sources for this kind of information.

Perhaps it's a regional issue? Maybe flights from north England and Scotland have more fuel to carry and thus less space for luggage, compared to London?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well i think in theory that as there are fewer flights from say Glasgow compared to Gatwick you'd think that theyd be kind and let everyone take their equipment?

but at the same time as theres fewer flights, the planes tend to be completly full, thus more luggage, so maybe a greater oportunity to charge?

In an ideal world someone would develop an all in price in a brochure and thats what the final price would be- dont think it'll ever happen though.

And also- at least your not on a late deal and getting stung for £10 ticket on departure fee for the luxury of picking your tickets up at the airport !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Let's see...

This is the list of charges I have to look forward to:

Ski carriage (15 quid per snowboard or pair of skis)
Airport tax (10 quid?)
Airport security charge (9 quid)
Tickets collected at departure (10 quid)
Luggage storage fee (2 quid per person, until accom becomes available)
Local Tax de sejour (7 quid per person?)

Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dont forget your £10 for your inflight meal and £10 for you pre booked seat!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And whats the luggage storage fee?- never come accross that before

I think they'll prob start charging for oxygen on the plane soon
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
theyve probably just stuck it on the base price before but now they have to break down the charges- dont shoot the messenger!

Ahh, sorry mate, didnt mean it to come across like that at all, no offence intended.. Madeye-Smiley

yeah, I realise they might have done that, its just annoying when you get a quoted price, then when you come to pay, they then mention the other extras... it makes a big difference if you are booking for 10 !!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Excel checked at Manchester at Christmas, we needed to show the invoice to get the two ski bags on. I don't mind paying if I'm getting something for it, but I think that ski carriage should be free if you are within the luggage allowance with everything weighed. The attitude last year was that we had 20kg per person and that included the skis, boots and blades, even with the supplement pre-paid for skis. Luckily we weighed in at 81kg for 4 of us and we offered to unpack and put 1kg as hand luggage and we were OK (that was Excel again by the way, otherwise an excellent airline)
snow conditions
Funny, because as i mentioned in another thread, Excel at Gatwick this year didn't weigh skis or charge for them, even tho' their conditions said otherwise. V strange.
latest report
Thats ok Toby im being miserable because
a) im hungover
b) its over a week before I go skiing
c) I cant find my lucky ski pass holder- ohhh the humanity!
d) Im going to get stung for 150 euro deposit on the apartment in cash because Ive lost my credit card and the new one wont get here before I go! grrrrrr
e) im plagued by dreams of there being no snow and having to ski on grass
f) My friends have founf out about the duty free booze and are placing orders so im going to get stung for excess baggage on the way home!

but on the plus side I have new gloves and its not sooo long before i get to do snow angels
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
And whats the luggage storage fee?- never come accross that before

Neilson charged that last year for punters arriving on their transfer coach midday-ish at Avoriaz, until their accom was available a few hours later that afternoon. Of course, you didn't have to pay it, but then who wants to hang around their luggage for several hours?

They also charged a deposit on the hands-free/smart-card ski pass. Neglecting to mention that by keeping the lift pass you could build up points for a discount.
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Thats ok Toby im being miserable because
b) its over a week before I go skiing

yeah me too Shocked

roll on the 20th march... Val D'Isere here I come Smile
snow report
Have a fab time Toby- never been to Val D before but im sure my time will come! Little Angel
ski holidays
Matthew Clarkson wrote:
How can they justify an extra £9 per person for 'increased security requirements'? Surely this implies the security was pretty rubbish before 9/11 or they're just using 'the war on terrorism' as an excuse to improve their operating margins.

If the airport in Brussels that Ryanair uses can make money (which it does) on a couple of euros per passenger in total, then why does BAA need £9 per person extra just for 'increased' security?

Sounds like we're being scammed to me!!

I think it's a bit unfair to suggest that because the airports need to charge an additional fee now, security used to be rubbish. Security used to be generally very good, now it's even better.

The problem is though, that security is human - mistakes will and can happen, no matter how much money you throw at it. Also, the more security you put in place, the more inconvenient it will be for passengers. Just after 9/11, passengers were complaining because there were five+ hour delays while additional (over-the-top, perhaps) security checks were effected.

Sure, airports could increase security without any additional costs, but it would mean that if your luggage or you seemed suspicious, you wouldn't be allowed airside, so you'd miss your flight. This is clearly ridiculous, but the only other alternative is to increase staffing and invest in newer technology. This doesn't mean that older technology and previous, lower staffing levels were inadequate, but they are now, for the demands being put on them.

Incidentally, BAA are being hit hard by low-cost airlines. In order to keep them using city-centre airports, they are having to charge lower landing fees (but on the flip side, offering them grotty bits of the terminal etc.) while seeing the numbers of passengers travelling on low-cost (low-revenue) airlines increasing. Also, low-cost travellers typically arrive at the airport later than charter travellers and therefore spend less in airport shops (which generates additional revenue).

Small airports generally survive by attracting local governmental subsidies, as well as having lower-cost locations. BAA, don't forget, used to be a nationalised industry (albeit some time ago), but still suffers somewhat from "excess fat", shall we say. Generally, small airports can get away with having poxy facilities, whereas if Glasgow or Heathrow decided to do away with anything that wasn't revenue-generating (tourist info, airport info desks, etc.) there would be outcry from the scheduled airlines. Ryanair and the like don't care about this, so are willing to pay less to fly to small airports.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy