Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Travel insurance - cancelled flight

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know the regulations and cover for cancelled flights?
Easyjet canceled flights on Sunday due to the weather here.
I doubt Easyjet will pay as it's not their fault but we still had to have 2 extra nights of hotel accommodation, etc.

The insurance said they only cover delays at £20 per 12 hours, which is quite bad considering how much hotel costs are...
Shouldn't Missed Departure cover it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, but wasn't it a cancellation and not a delay?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My policy (Direct Travel) is £100 for 12 hours, then a further £20.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, was a cancellation.
I fail to see why they don't cover you for hotels and stuff yet if you miss the departure then they will ?
I think the Delay cover covers all types even if cancelled.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, pehaps some insurers do, but none of my policies have.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe I should just claim we missed our departure?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, easy for them to check and see the flight was cancelled.

I assume easyjet put you on the next available flight which was 2 days later?

Is it £20 per person per 12 hours? So for 2 people you'd have £80 per night in a hotel?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not sure that there is necessarily such a clear distinction between delay and cancellation as is suggested. If a flight is cancelled, your travel is delayed, and I would expect (all other things being equal) that the 'delay' benefits of travel insurance would kick in.

There was I think a thread a couple of days ago on the topic of airlines' obigations if flights are delayed/cancelled because of bad weather.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go travel insurance will use every possible technicality or ambiguity in their policy to avoid paying out IME.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:
Go travel insurance will use every possible technicality or ambiguity in their policy to avoid paying out IME.

I have my yearly insurance with Go Travel - might have a re-think of who to insure with at renewal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970 wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

I have my yearly insurance with Go Travel - might have a re-think of who to insure with at renewal.

yes, I don't have annual, because I usually only get one ski and one summer trip per year.

But I insured with Go last year, and they wriggled out of paying any compensation for piste closure - because we were able to get to open pistes in another resort that was 50 minutes (and €20) away by coach. Even though on their claim form, they had asked for details of costs incurred in getting to other pistes - it appears they only asked for that as evidence to disallow the claim.

They also refused to pay out on my broken digital camera without an extimate that would have cost £35, even though it was very obviously bust - cracks all over the LCD screen. Since there was also an excess of £50, and the camera cost £80 to replace, that made the insurance rather pointless Sad

I will not be using them again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of our group toshed his iPhone while in Livigno, only got back March 15th - his insurance policy with the Post Office has already paid out, no quibbles!!

Apparently not the cheapest policy but sounds like money well spent
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
check my post exactly on this gordon:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=913865

Easyjet should pay food & accomodation.

Helen - £100 direct travel? I got told £20 per person for the first 12 hour cancellation, then an extra £10 per person after another 12 hours.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, it says £100 on my policy, I will read it again, perhaps £100 is the maximum.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ah, that probably explains it, their website says:

Delayed Departure

£100

£20 after 12hrs
£200

£20 after 12hrs
£350

£35 after 12hrs
If the aircraft, sea vessel, train or coach on which you are booked to travel is delayed at its departure point by more than 12 hours
http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/products/compare.htm
snow conditions
so Easyjet pay even if it's not their fault, i.e. caused by weather?
That didn't happen last time a few years ago.
?
ski holidays
yes - new EU laws came into force.

I've just filled in a form and claimed off them, will be interesting to see what/when I get from them.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
It will indeed be interesting to see whether easyJet pay out. It's odd how much we expect airlines to do. After all, if a train company cancels a train, or a bus company cancel a long distance bus, you'd not expect to get a night's hotel paid, would you? I suppose that if this new law makes the airlines pay, the costs will be passed on to customers. One of the perils of travelling independently - if with a tour operator, they'd have to sort something out.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
It will indeed be interesting to see whether easyJet pay out. It's odd how much we expect airlines to do. After all, if a train company cancels a train, or a bus company cancel a long distance bus, you'd not expect to get a night's hotel paid, would you?

I would if I had a pre-booked ticket for that conveyance, and it was the last one of the day, yes.

And since contract law allows damages for breach of contract to include foreseeable additional costs caused by that breach, I would expect the courts to agree with me if it went tat far.
snow report
Swiss Rail paid for a taxi when I missed the last train of the night due to a fire on the track in Germany (earlier on in my journey). If a taxi hadn't been a possibility then I'm sure that they would have refunded any hotel costs.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
pam w wrote:
It will indeed be interesting to see whether easyJet pay out. It's odd how much we expect airlines to do. After all, if a train company cancels a train, or a bus company cancel a long distance bus, you'd not expect to get a night's hotel paid, would you?

I would if I had a pre-booked ticket for that conveyance, and it was the last one of the day, yes.

In the case of a UK train, you wouldn't get one.
snow report
richmond wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
pam w wrote:

In the case of a UK train, you wouldn't get one.

Why would I not win in court if I sued them for it?

I am only talking about when I had a reservation on that train, not where you just turn up hoping for a space on it.
ski holidays
alex_heney, there's a heap of small print in the "contract" when you buy a train ticket. I doubt if many passengers ever read it...
snow report
richmond, not sure about the hotel bill but several years ago the railway company paid for a taxi to take me from Westbury station to Southampton station, but this was in the days of connecting trains, I had a through journey booked and it was a timetabled link, I think these days that they've avoided timetabeling connections in the UK just so they can avoid this
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
alex_heney, there's a heap of small print in the "contract" when you buy a train ticket. I doubt if many passengers ever read it...

Exactly, and they would plead that in the case of bad weather, it was outside their control (which it is).
snow report
D G Orf, that was then.
snow report
Elizabeth B, SwissRail are pretty good IME - when delayed from Frankfurt to Geneva (due in around 21h00, managed to get as far as Berne by 23h30) they just found a hotel (well hostel, nothing else available, at all), cash for meal (nothing open though).

Swiss Air also v. good when bumped us off at Easter a few years back: CHF 350 each compensation + dinner + hotel Mercure at airport + change of destination from Heathrow to City (better for us in the early AM) + upgraded into business (which didn't really help at 6h30 as minimal food and no champagne opportunity but still...
snow conditions
Not to side on easyjet but if weather cancels a flight, why should they pay?
I think it's only if they cancel it due to staff, engineering, etc. Doesn't EU law only cover the latter?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 years back I missed a connection with GNER in Doncaster travelling to Bristol. As it was the last train for the night they got me a taxi for the whopping £467.70. The ticket cost me only £40 return .
About the airlines -yes they must organise you hotel + food if flight cancelled/delayed only if you are away from home( other country). ALITALIA is the best in free hotels(all their flights are delayed). For the past 6 journeys with them I’ve stayed 2 times in Hilton in Rome. 2 times in Novotel in Milan, and 2 times in Crown Plaza with free diners and few bottles of wine every time. Also I had my insurance to pay out £100 for 24 hour delay (with PJ HEYMAN ) Sometimes it up to you what kind of service you going to get. If you are more persistent they will let you go with everything just to leave them alone.
Write to easyjet only if you live far from the airport and there wasn’t a way to get home and come back for the next flight. Because they are budget airline your case in court action will have a little to stand on. and with a ticket for a £10 you can make them pay £150 for accommodation and food. And to make a claim in the court will cost you £85.Best bet is to claim through the GO INSURANCE.
snow report
pam w wrote:

In that case, you would claim any terms which exclude their liability were unfair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

And would win, unless there is specific legislation excluding railways from that.
snow conditions
Quote:
ALITALIA is the best in free hotels(all their flights are delayed). For the past 6 journeys with them I’ve stayed 2 times in Hilton in Rome. 2 times in Novotel in Milan, and 2 times in Crown Plaza with free diners and few bottles of wine every time.

so that's why they're bankrupt and nobody wants to buy them! wink
ski holidays
alex_heney, small print isn't necessarily unfair, and who in their right mind is going to take a train co. to court for being late?

I am far from convinced that the holder of a normal train ticket, with or without a reservation, should be entitled ('morally' rather than legally) should be entitled to compensation for delays caused by bad weather or other events genuinely outside the control of the train co. Airlines appear to be obliged to offer limited compensation under statute, which is fine; in the absence of such a law, it seems perfectly reasonable for a court to say 'Sorry, mate, it's one of those things.'.
snow report
So, am going to Avoriaz tomorrow, who is the best value for money insurer?
snow report
richmond, I'd go along with that. I remember once being holed up at Brides Les Bain with a car, because I couldn't get through to Val D because of huge snowfalls. My insurance covered delays by scheduled public transport - but not through road closure. Tough. My own viw is that travel insurance is primarily useful for medical matters and third party liability - stuff that one could not easily cover oneself.
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
alex_heney, small print isn't necessarily unfair, and who in their right mind is going to take a train co. to court for being late?

Of course small print is not necessarily unfair.

But it will usually be if it seeks to inappropriately exclude liability for breach of contract.

Nobody is likley to take a train company to court for being late - that is not the situation being talked of.

There is a difference between being late, and cancelling the last one of the day, and there is a huge difference in the consequential effect on somebody who booked a place on that train, relying on it to get home.

Quote:

I am far from convinced that the holder of a normal train ticket, with or without a reservation, should be entitled ('morally' rather than legally) should be entitled to compensation for delays caused by bad weather or other events genuinely outside the control of the train co. Airlines appear to be obliged to offer limited compensation under statute, which is fine; in the absence of such a law, it seems perfectly reasonable for a court to say 'Sorry, mate, it's one of those things.'.

When you buy a ticket, you then have a contract with the train company for them to get you to your destination. If that ticket includes a reservation on a specific train, then the contract is to get you there at about the time that train is due to arrive.

It is a normal part of contract law that if one party breaches the contract, then they are liable to the other party for costs incurred as a direct and foreseeable result of that breach.

While I would not expect foreseeable costs to be enough to sue over if they are just an hour or two late, if the train is cancelled, and there is no later train to use instead, then they would be likely to be found liable for the costs of either alternative transport or an overnight stay.

The only reason there is specific legislation for airlines is that they are international operations, and the rules for minimum levels of compensation etc. were set at an international convention, with all signatories to that convention implementing those rules in their domestic legislation. This mainly prevents complications arising from variations in contract law between departure and arrival nations.
latest report
alex_heney, as one barrack room lawyer to another, I respectfully disgree with much of what you say.
ski holidays
GordonFreeman, if you have your insurance policy (schedule, wording and endoresements) in electronic format email it to me and i'll find the cover if i can, its amazing how many claims get turned down that are actually covered! Without seeing the specific policy its hard to say but if the flight is cancelled that should fall under the cancellation cover not delayed departure, therefore the £20 per 12hrs is irrelevant . . . but it will depend upon the actual definitions and sections in the workding itself. I'd be interested to have a look for you, i'm a compliance officer for a large broker and love getting one over the insurers whenever i can lol
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy