Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who skis off piste without the 'holy trinity' of safety equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Another point of view on this is that if you did see a slide from a Chair, in most cases Patrol would probably be happier if you contacted them asap and alerted them to what happened and where, than potentially have a swarm of poorly or untrained public descend into harms way risking further burials and potentially disrupting the search and/or endangering the patrolers even further.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN wrote:
rayscoops...or a repost of http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=89856&highlight=avalanche#89856 - a case where a snowHead , skiing on piste for the day, was unable to help someone who subsequently died. If you have the gear, then carry it - it will rarely do any harm and may just save someone's life. If we followed uktrailmonster's argument to itsd logical conclusion then why on earth ever carry a shovel and probe - they're never of use to our own survival (except possibly using the shovel to dig a snowhole) and only ever of benefit if we're acting as "an emergency piste patroller"

It's all about calculated risk. I'm happy to ski on piste without carrying avvy gear and I wouldn't expect fellow recreational skiers to carry it either. One of the nice things about cruising around on piste is the lack of gear you need to lug around. But that certainly does NOT lead to the conclusion that I should never carry a shovel and probe. If I was going backcountry skiing with a small group, they might come in really handy if one of the group got into trouble. It's common sense, so don't try to make me feel like I'm doing something immoral here.

If jbob is "truly appalled" by my attitude I would suggest that pretty much everything else in this cruel world appalls him too rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
uktrailmonster, So essentially what you are saying is that you have bought all the gear as a wonderful fashion accesory, to be utilised as and when you want to look gnarly and impress the ladies with your back country heroics, as opposed to a practical safety device? Do you only buckle your seat belt if you are driving somewhere unfamiliar? My guess is that you wear a helmet whilst skiing....am I right?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Guvnor, With no due respect, you're talking a load of bollox in your post.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor, i doubt anyone takes their avvy gear when solely having a day on the piste (especially if the do not carry a back pack), for example if they were taking out an inexperienced skier and there was no chance of off piste skiing ...... I am sure if uktrailmonster is talking about this scenario. If there is the chance of a couple of hours off piste then I am sure he would pop the clobber in his bag just in case.

But I am sure he can speak for himself Laughing

If I had the avvy gear and was having a day on the piste I would not take it with me either as I do not carry a back pack when piste boarding
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ah i see he can speak for himself Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, That was the whole point, someone else was suggesting that people should carry their gear absolutely everywhere they went skiing, which seemed unreasonable to me. That's all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guvnor wrote:
uktrailmonster, So essentially what you are saying is that you have bought all the gear as a wonderful fashion accesory, to be utilised as and when you want to look gnarly and impress the ladies with your back country heroics, as opposed to a practical safety device? Do you only buckle your seat belt if you are driving somewhere unfamiliar? My guess is that you wear a helmet whilst skiing....am I right?
What a ridiculous and insulting inference, drawn presumably from the position of the unrealistic, moral high ground (somewhere around Mount Everest) of your previous post. Common sense dictates that it is unnecessary to carry gear on patrolled, avalanche-controlled pistes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guvnor wrote:

Ooh baby, do you wanna dance Twisted Evil Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
uktrailmonster, it was not your calculated decision that I was appalled by, its one I make myself quite often. It was your attitude, you sounded like some whining school kid complaining about the amount of home work.

Your reason for for not taking your stuff seemed based on "I don't see why I should" help rather than you would not need to help.
Please don't feel qualified just yet to make suggestions as to what else might appall me, but you would be safe ground with immature selfish heroes in the Mountains for the moment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
uktrailmonster, And someone who only wears safety gear purely for his own means isn't? Do you actually know how to switch from Tx to Rx on your transciever and then conduct a search, or is it there solely to allow others to find you? If you were to see a slide between or just to the side of the piste, what would you do? Carry on with your leisurely cruise down the piste and maybe inform the Pisteur, as it is not really any of your business and you wouldn't want it to ruin your days skiing, or would you take part in an organised search as directed, actually utilising the equipment you own and potentially saving lives.....how about if it was one of your party caught in the slide? Still feel happy in the fact that your equipment is safely stored back in your room, and nobody else can be bothered to lend a hand in the search because they are too busy cruising the piste?

Everybody has a responsibility whilst skiing - to both themselves and to others - and those who may be more experienced should be prepared to offer assistance in the event of an emergency. The very fact that you own equipment and ski off piste would suggest that you fall in to this category.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, Guvnor, Is it national self righteous day today? Just listen to yourselves FFS!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 11-04-08 12:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster, No that was yesterday, its Devil Take the Hindmost Day today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, The two do seem to have charged up the moral high ground on their high horses don't they?

As a non Avvy gear owner (who still seems to have a backpack full of cr@p whereever I go ) I read your post as 'If I'm not planning to go off piste, I won't carry all the gear just to act as amateur piste patrol for everyone else'. Nothing wrong with that - 98% (or more) of piste skiers won't have avvy gear with them anyway.

None of which is to say that you or I would ski away from an incident at which we could help. I'd treat the comments from Dastardly and Muttley as wind-ups if I were you Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
uktrailmonster, If you are only ever interested in looking after #1, that is your prerogative - and all the best to you in that selfish attitude. I suspect it is not actually the case, and that your SO and family may figure somewhere on the scale, and this may even extend to other family and possibly even friends. In my case, my compassion allows me to extend this a little further to include anyone who may be in need of assistance in the event of an emergency. I think it may be called charity. Just because you choose not to utilise your skills and equiment doesn't make you a bad person. The fact that I have to carry around a couple of extra kilos equipment is just the cross I have to bear.
latest report
Axsman, Thanks for the support. Obviously I'm an evil monster, but just to iterate the main reason I don't carry my backpack (smallish Camelbak) all the time is because the lift operators won't let me wear it on the chairlifts. As I don't feel the need to use a Camelbak on-piste anyway, either for my own or anyone else's benefit, I rarely bother. Off-piste of course is another matter, I wouldn't go without it then.

That any better for you jbob?
snow report
Guvnor, Ok I'm a selfish lady's front bottom and you are a wonderful person. Can we leave it at that please?
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, You missed out self righteous wink
snow report
uktrailmonster, Yes thats fine, PAX
PS i suppose a SHs discount on the apartment is out of the question.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 11-04-08 12:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Oh my, how could I have been so selfish!? I better start carrying my 2nd pair of skis around so I can help out anyone who loses a ski in a nasty place!

rolling eyes
Seriously though, expecting someone to carry around tranceiver shovel and probe to help out in the highly unlikely event of an on-piste avalanche is ridiculous. As pointed out, many people don't like skiing around with a backpack, so what are they supposed to do, carry them in hand? Nevermind the poles, they're not important. But heaven forbid you ski around without a shovel!

If you want to do so that's fine, but don't foce your opinions on other people, especially when they're so utterly absurd.
snow report
mark_s, Hush now - all toys are back in respective prams
snow conditions
(I was busy typing that out as jbob replied, but whatever)
ski holidays
Ok it is two penneth time from me. I am with uktrailmonster, why carry all the gear if you are skiing on piste. Jow many of us piste skiers have come accross a situation where the gear would have been of use?

It would be of more use for people to learn first aid/basic medical life saving techniques than to gcary avvy gear. You will come accross more injured / poorly skiers than you will trapped avalanche victims.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I agree wholeheartedly - and the only point I am making (in between some blatant trolling) is that as an owner of the equipment in question, I carry it. And am prepared to use it in the unlikely event of an avalanche. Others are not. Each to their own.
snow conditions
I carry it 95% of the time as I want to have the freedom to go offpiste when I want to.

But I'm with uktrailmonster - may not carry it if I knew for sure I'd be staying onpiste, although that means emptying the backpack and remembering to fill it up again, so in practice I do carry at least the shovel and probe!

A long time ago I used to ski offpiste without the equipment, but I love skiing interesting pitches too much, and not all the people I ski them with are excellent readers of snow conditions (neither am I), so I think it's best to have it.
snow conditions
Fortunately I've never been in a situation on or directly around a piste where a shovel or probe would have been any use in the last 25 years. In fact come to think of it, I've never had to use them off-piste either, but I know the risk there is far higher and I would genuinely feel selfish if I just relied on others to carry the gear.
latest report
jbob wrote:
uktrailmonster, Yes thats fine, PAX
PS i suppose a SHs discount on the apartment is out of the question.

That depends if you could bear to deal with such an evil monster!
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, I was thinking of doing a month in Canada and BW was on the list but I suspect I will be looking for more modest accommodation..
On the shovel front, apart from the obvious essential use, building kickers, I like to think it gives me a fair amount of back protection.
I did use mine in anger this season, not to dig out an avalanche victim, but to dig a platform for an injured skier on a very steep pitch to stop her falling, when the real piste patrol arrived they dug an even bigger platform to secure their sled, interestingly they left without filling it in again.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, You thinking of spending a month in BW or as part of a tour around Canada? Depending on the dates, we might be able to offer you a rate comparable with the hotels.
snow report
After 4 seasons on the trot my GF finally put her foot down, but I figured I could cope with just a month if they were all powder days. Any thoughts on the best month.
ski holidays
January for BW. The base should be respectable by then (i.e 250+) and you're pretty much guaranteed plenty of regular powder, with zero chance of rain or even wet snow. Feb is great too and so was March this year, but it is prone to the odd warm spell from early March onward. Dec is ok and you can often get superb powder, but the base can be a bit dodgy early-mid Dec. It needs well over 200 cm to cover the rocks. Also gets busy (by BW standards at least) over New Year, so try to avoid that.
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
uktrailmonster, And someone who only wears safety gear purely for his own means isn't?.

If you can find anything, anywhere in his posts that suiggest that might be the case, then you are an idiot.
latest report
if you own crampons, ropes and ice axes do you carry those on piste as well rolling eyes

seems to me personal choice is the correct answer to carrying the trinity just like helmet wearing or body armour on piste rec skiing..
snow conditions
Quote:

and the only point I am making (in between some blatant trolling)

I have to remember to use that one next time i make idiotic comments, great get out jail free card when you look stupid...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

I have to remember to use that one next time i make idiotic comments, great get out jail free card when you look stupid...

Ouch. A palpable hit, I think. (You fully recovered from yours, btw?)
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
Another point of view on this is that if you did see a slide from a Chair, in most cases Patrol would probably be happier if you contacted them asap and alerted them to what happened and where, than potentially have a swarm of poorly or untrained public descend into harms way risking further burials and potentially disrupting the search and/or endangering the patrolers even further.

And they definitely preferred it if all chairlift riders turned off their beeps
snow report
Hurtle, glad you approve wink unfortunately i had some post event problems and had to scrap skiing today... but dont want to hijack another thread snowHead
snow conditions
skimottaret, Sad
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

In a roundabout way, that entire post was an admittance of some fairly idiotic posting. And I am happy enough to admit to it. So there.
ski holidays
Guvnor, let he who is without sin cast the first stone .................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy