Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xmas skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Beginning to contemplate a sneaky week in the kids' Xmas hols; it would have to be over Xmas (or NY, but I'd prefer to be away at Xmas than NY). LDA is a possiblility.

Does anyone know if late (and therefore cheaper) booking is a reasonable possibility for Xmas, or is it too popular?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christmas isn't that popular from my own experience and others seem to agree. Lots of Brits are kept at home by their families.

I have been at christmas for last 2 years, the worst part of the experience is the busy airports on the saturday/sunday before christmas. They are heaving. Its not very nice.

I've booked early in July and September. You pretty much have complete availability. I have a feeling you dont have very many last minute deals at christmas. But I may be wrong.

The slopes are liable to get busy on boxing day and the weekend, but other than that they arent particularly busy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Christopher, thanks. I think we shall probably leave it until fairly late, mainly to check that the snow gives at least a vague promise of being worth the effort, if we get a deal, so much the better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, we spent the week befor Xmas in Lech this year. Fantastic is all I can say. The place was practically empty. Our hotel in Oberlech had seventeen guests, and cost about 1/4 what it would in high season. We were lucky with the snow, having serious dumps before and during our stay. That can go the other way of course, The year before they were looking at green fields and the ski instructors had to take up hill walking rolling eyes So I would only do it on last minute basis.

Usually the resorts are fairly empty until the 26th, at which time things change radically. But the week before Xmas is always empty empty empty Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's right, never really gets busy till boxing day and then gets busier by the day until after new year, and before that it's pretty empty and the best (it is where I usually go in the Dolomites in any case). This year Christmas Day is on Thursday, which means it probably won't get busy until Friday which, if you're going for a week Sat to Sat, means that you only have one day of the crowds.

New Year is generally busy everywhere!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
After the great snow last Christmas it could be a bit busier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
After the great snow last Christmas it could be a bit busier.

Very likely, but if we want a week in addition to half term it has to be Xmas or NY. Easter is almost certainly a no no due to the kids' other comittements. God, they're a nuisance.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You need to find a relatively high resort. If your resort is above 1800m or somewhere with a good snow record lower down I personally would book christmas months in advanced.

richmond, Have you any idea of where you want to go?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Probably France, for the height and because we'll probably have to self cater for cost reasons. I guess the usual suspects; Vd'I/Tignes, Ad'H, LDA,VT.

We'd prefer Austria, for the prices and the ambience; anywhere in Austria very likely to have decent snow at Xmas? Hochgurgl? What's StAnton like at Xmas, I wonder?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 8-04-08 11:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond, Val Thorens, Val d'Isere and Tignes are all high enough and snow sure enough at christmas.

I know barely anything about Austrian resorts and their snow records.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went to La Plagne last Xmas and booked quite early as we were 3 families all wanting to be in the same chalet. I did however look at the availabilty and the costs leading up to Xmas and can't deny feeling a tad upset, because if we had booked in the two weeks prior to departure i could have save between £1,000-1,500 on just my family alone- I have 3 late teenagers! If you are one family only I would recommend you wait until two weeks before and reap the benifit(if you have the bottle). Expect chalet owners to come and tell you different as they have ulterior motives, but Xmas in France, similar to here, the French stop at home with their families and then come to play at new year. The slopes were not overly busy at Xmas and if you are not paricular as to which resort to visit you may well find you can afford a caterd chalet as opposed to self catered. IMHO.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northantsred, thanks, others have said much the same. I think we shall leave it lateish, at least until we can see how the snow is looking. We'll be going in Feb, and the kids will have school trips, and we'll probably fit in a sneaky weekend or so, so there's no point in going unless the snow is half decent (although I guess at the high French resorts one can be pretty confident).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We did Mayrhofen a few years ago at xmas, they are usually open early december and always have the insurance of the Hintertux up the road. The queues were nothing, I mean ten minutes max for the Penken and when we went up to the Hintertux for a day, it was practically deserted (Xmas Eve!).

The Austrians made christmas fun and the number of santas on skis....

I have skied France at christmas too, the atmosphere was good, but not at the Austrian level. Generally the slopes have been pretty quiet, and I would love to be going!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, I wouldn't leave it too late - we are already fully booked for Chirstmas next year which is unprecidented. I think a combination of the good early snow this year and the lateness of Easter next year is meaning that Christmas is looking like a pretty good option for a lot of people. If you have somewhere in particular in mind then there is no harm keeping an eye on the availability so that you don't miss out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christmas is typically bookable lastminute.

New Year is not. It is too popular.

However, after this year's good snow, there will be higher demand over the festive season.

Book now and play it safe.
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
Probably France, for the height and because we'll probably have to self cater for cost reasons. I guess the usual suspects; Vd'I/Tignes, Ad'H, LDA,VT.

We'd prefer Austria, for the prices and the ambience; anywhere in Austria very likely to have decent snow at Xmas? Hochgurgl? What's StAnton like at Xmas, I wonder?

Obergurgl/Hochgurgl is generally pretty snow sure. You've also got a couple of glaciers a short (free) bus ride away at Solden if the snow failed to appear.
snow conditions
Height isn't as important early season as it is late season when the snow is able to accumulate during the winter . Lower pasture land really only needs 10-20cm of snow to be good, but the rocks above 2500m need far more. Over the past few years, Austria has generally had a better early season than France, although of course it could be the other way round next year.

Id recommend Mayrhofen in Austria: Massive ski area in the whole Ziller Valley, and if the snow really is dire, Hintertux is just up the road.
latest report
Im going to book next Christmas as soon as Ryanair and Easyjet release their winter flight details. It'll most probably be june
ski holidays
Quote:
although I guess at the high French resorts one can be pretty confident

snow at Christmas is pretty unpredictable and not necessary particularly altitude-dependent. And the high, rocky, areas get extremely windswept. If I could afford it I'd go for Lech, other things being equal.

My own Christmas family party plans have just been severely disrupted by news that no. 1 son and wife are unexpectedly expecting 3rd baby mid December. So it's back to the drawing board.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy