Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

does size matter? Confused on length and width I need

Poster: A snowHead
Out in resort and trying to buy new skis more suited to off piste (as well as being ok on piste). Was going to test before buying but shops dont have much left to test with!
Female 5ft, 7 stone 9, Advanced intermediate (get down all on piste and off piste when not too steep and deep)

Snowheads recommended Dynastar Exclusive Legend. Have found it in a shop. It is only 75 under foot though - is this wide enough for off piste? Dynastar website does say 50/50
They are telling me to get the 152 - but only have 158 to test. Is it worth testing one longer than I will probably buy? What difference will the extra length make? 152 sounds ok (I currently have on piste skis which are 150).

Other option seems to be Rossignol Bandit 78. 2 shops tell me I need 148 in this - another says 158

I'm worried I'm just being sold what they have in stock!

ps Snowheads recommended K2 Lotta luv too but no one has these in stock
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go long and wide, try for something around 85mm underfoot with a good sidecut. Wild Thang (Head), Atomic Nomad Crimson. Around 160cm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi SZK - even more confused now... will one that wide be ok on piste? What's wrong with the exclusive legend??
Instructor I had in Flaine said I was so short and light I didnt need a very long ski???... and I've only just started doing a bit more off piste
And dont even know what a side cut is. Its all so flippin technical and confusing!!
Are you still at footworks .. thought you had left but you still use the tag?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My wife is in a similar position to you. Testing a different length can make quite a big difference, as the longer versions will also be made stiffer to suit heavier skiers.
Dynastar Exclusive Legends certainly get great reviews as an all-rounder and are probably wide enough at your weight. You could also consider the Exclusive Legend Powder, which is more off-piste oriented. Although some reviews say the Legend Powder is hard work on piste for lighter skiers. So depends on your priority really.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jayne durham,

Go all mountain ski which are anywhere between 80-95 mm Underfoot I would say that 156 would be about right for you but that is a personal choice on length and what you are happy with . My all mountain skis are 85mm under foot and the are fine for wide turns on piste you are not going to be cracking out salomon turns on them but they are very comfy on piste.

Any of the Atomic Minx at the high end or the Salomon Rush / XWing Tornado should be good for the job in hand happy shopping
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's not hard, trust me. A ski that is 80ish underfoot will give your light frame good floatation in the powder. With a good sidecut/shape it will carve and slide easily on the piste. At 160cm you will find it always stable and easy to middle, giving you good balance in the the powder. I ski a 105mm ski with a deep shape as an allmountain ski. It takes a short while to get used to but gives overall a real easy all mountain performance. You need some encouragement off the piste and once it clicks, you ski holidays will have a whole new meaning. Alternatively, buy an Exclusive and rent a powder ski around 90mm-100mm when the conditions need.

No i'm not at Foot Works, but am sure the few small issues we are having can be resolved soon and i can go back to doing what i love. I am doing a day here and there so as not to loose touch with the flow of business.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks everyone...
Will go back out hunting after I've had something to eat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Let me know what you settle on and at how much, i'll see if there's something better or cheaper for you here in Sham.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Havent got the car this time SZK
Exclusive Legends are 349 euros (from 499)... but I'm not sure about them now.... maybe they are too narrow at 75 and I need to look wider..
Mind you my current skis are only 65 underfoot.
How much different would 75s feel in powder??

Why is it I can make decisions all day at work - but when it comes to skis I am all over the place!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham,

You want the Powder version ...
Its full name is Dynstar Exclusive Legend Powder and it is 85mm underfoot.
You are looking at the Exclusive Legend at 75mm......
I am looking at the Falline test for the Legend Powder and it says...

lenghts are

They say, to paraphrase
" so nice and stable...handles soft and firm snow well..one of the best all mountain womens skis out there"

I know a few women who have skied it and they rave about it...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are lots of on-line reviews for both the Exclusive Legend and Exclusive Legend Powder. The Powder is undoubtedly better off-piste, but requires more effort to carve on-piste. Experts would have no problems getting the best out of it, but it may just be a step too far for a lighter intermediate? I still think at your weight, 75mm is absolutely fine for easy off-piste and certainly a big step from your current 65mm skis. The Exclusive Legends seem to get the better reviews for a wider range of ability levels, if that's any help. Only reason I know is because my wife was researching both these skis too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you go up to that sort of waist from below 70mm, you have to re-evaluate your expectations IMV.

It is just not fair to expect a wide ski to behave like a narrow one...you have to adjust. The turn engagment will be slower and you just just let this happen...it will not be that late but don't force it in most cases... The benefit will be in deep snow where you will not recognise yourself..and you don't need a too-turney ski anyway... Most of the time, newbies will kill their skiing in deep snow by diving out of the turn too quickly and this will hamper fall-line skiing, IMO. Once you can trust yourself to ride them, you are moving on. Plus the fact that you'll be able to do this in less than perfect snow more easily.

the new Mantra is a case in point. It is a big ski at 96mm (IMV) ..not hard to get on edge but you can't ...and don't need to...chop the turn too much as it is so stable through the snow. If you want to throw in a few old school type turns, you can, but in general, you just centre yourself and ride them. What you have is the stability of the ski as its best feature...and it helps you where you need it most. You shouldn't need help trying to turn it on a red run.

If you want to hoon around on piste, get a race oriented ski. It has always been the case that one ski can't do it all, but they are more verstaile and the gap is getting smaller..IMO.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm learning so much - thanks to all.

I'm wondering whether the answer is to get an all round ski - maybe the legend maybe something else - and also get a much wider one for powder?... Maybe one now and one next year. (big birthday approaching fast)
Maybe now we've got a place out here to store them I can do this eventually.
Hoping to pick up a bargain in resort - but there really doesnt seem to be much left in a ladies off piste or 50/50 ski in my sort of size.
Did Arc 1800 and 1600 this morning - and Bourg st M this afternoon.... Must be the only girlie who hates shopping. Its much more tiring than skiing. I just want a result - the "chase" is no fun at all....and its raining Crying or Very sad

Think I'll go back out on Saturday and have another go.... see if there are any fatter ones....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham wrote:
I'm learning so much - thanks to all.

I'm wondering whether the answer is to get an all round ski - maybe the legend maybe something else - and also get a much wider one for powder?...

If you have a place to store them, then my vote would be a resounding "Yes!".

You can have completely different binding setups including a lifted carving one and a down-on-the-plank powder surfing one.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mmm comprex - just getting the hang of the width/lenght idea .... now you bring in a variety of binding set ups..
way too advanced for me I think... Think of me as the snowplougher of ski technology......
Have looked on the net for UK prices and availability and cant find SZK suggestions at either of my local shops (snow and rock and edge 2 edge)
JT - havent seen any of the Exclusive Legend powder ones either...
Will go out on Saturday I think and do arc 1950 and 2000.
Getting ski overload here I think!!

But I think I'm starting to realise that skiing heavy powder in my width 65 is probably why I find it so tiring....

Hubby just says its lack of technique as he sails along on his B3s...

I'm not convinced!!
snow conditions
not IMHO, I'm a firm believer of get a ski which does 90% of what you want, otherwise you can guarantee you'll always be wishing you were on the "other" pair...
snow report
jayne durham, quit the 50/50 idea and go pure powder, then get a pair of fast carvers if you really need them.

A 71-75 underfoot carver could give you stability -enough- in broken or refrozen snow so that you don't feel tossed around by it, and still be nimbler than your pow setup.
snow report
kitenski, flawed logic: both the pow setup and the 7x waist carver can be chosen and set up to do 90% of what one might want on any given day.

Gear choice becomes much like language choice then; ok today we'll ski everything in french vs. today we'll ski everything in German.
ski holidays
Interesting point kitenski...
... I just dont really have the experience to know what will give me 90% of what I want.
I like to feel secure on piste when it is icy
I like skiing moguls (as long as they are not too big)
... My current 10 yr old skis are great for both of those..
But they are hard to turn in powder - especially if it's heavy

I want to enjoy off piste steeper powder more but still feel secure on hard pistes... Is this asking too much of one ski?
ski holidays
jayne durham wrote:

I want to enjoy off piste steeper powder more but still feel secure on hard pistes... Is this asking too much of one ski?

Not at all, it's been possible for at least 4-5 years imo.

It may be asking a bit much of some shop clerks to direct you to the exact one you want, though.
latest report
jayne durham, The choices in your original post are all perfectly fine for what you're looking for. The Exclusive Legends in particular get stonking reviews everywhere. I think the wider Powder version will start to compromise your on-piste expectations at your level and weight, but still worth considering if you really want to focus on the off-piste. Any wider than 85 mm and I think you'll need a second pair of piste skis.
latest report
comprex wrote:
kitenski, flawed logic: both the pow setup and the 7x waist carver can be chosen and set up to do 90% of what one might want on any given day.

Gear choice becomes much like language choice then; ok today we'll ski everything in french vs. today we'll ski everything in German.

so comprex, you set out on your 7x waist carver, for an "on piste" day, there's been no new snow for a week, it's sunny, the chance of some nice spring snow off piste, but not for you today.

Third lift you bump into a mate/snowhead etc who spots a great off piste line they did yesterday and invites you along, it could be a lovely spring run, it could be a hidden stash, it could be any number of things

Do you

a) go along
b) tell them to hang on while you nip back and get your "off piste" skis
c) tell them today is a piste day and decline their invitation?

cheers,

Greg
latest report
kitenski, personal choice irrespective of gear, much like meeting a mate in the street and getting a pub invite.

My own choice could easily be a) but then I usually go along with mates to restaurants/pubs even if I have no particular thirst or hunger.

Seriously, it's a dilemma of personal choice, mistakenly thrown into gear by the improper conflation of 'not best suited to' with 'not appropriate for'.
snow conditions
Hi Comprex, well I beg to differ, but each to his own, otherwise life would be very boring Smile
latest report
kitenski, fair enough.

Had the exact scenario happen to one of the skiers in the Epic group at Gathering this year; she had been on 92mm/23m TTs for the week in powder, then switched to 71mm/15m expecting groomer skiing for the last day and wound up doing her best skiing of the year on those, in groin-deep powder on the back side of Snowbasin. She had fun. Different fun than she would have had on Bluehouse, but fun nonetheless.
ski holidays
.....ok I'll bite, so why did/does she need 2 pairs of skis then???

PS - anyone can ski US dry fluffy powder on narrow skis Wink
snow report
Aren't all skis a compromise in some conditions?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
.....ok I'll bite, so why did/does she need 2 pairs of skis then???

Because she wanted to be able to choose which of two different experiences fit her mood that day.

rob@rar compromise only with regard to a fairly nebulous standard that changes year to year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:

a) go along
b) tell them to hang on while you nip back and get your "off piste" skis
c) tell them today is a piste day and decline their invitation?

a) Go along on my 66mm fis-spec race carvers.

Skis are like language... one speaks piste better, one speaks deep pow better.... but with the right skills, one can manage everywhere.
snow report
jayne durham, I have found a pair of B3 in the right length. Superb price. New 154 (i think). Forgot how much. Embarassed
latest report
The one thing we are forgetting here and only the user can quantify...is what help they think they need.

A tanker of a ski to a 11 st guy will not be the same thing to 15st guys...
How do you go at it... aggressively, or techie... and what do they mean anyway...
who sets this criteria and benchmark...??

You can read reviews of skis here and you might have seen the people ski ...but then the review and your perception of them, means what...???? And what to make of magazine reviews...?? FWIW, I think they talk up a ski and there aren't many stonkers out there that are unskiable to a broad range of people...

Again, FWIW, I have tried to mention a ski/skis which I know someone has skied ... whether their style and technique equates to yours. I am not entirely sure, but we aren't talking bitches here, I don't think..

A lot of skis get accused of being damp or lifeless...I take that to mean they can be skied docile... which can be a good thing, but then I have seen someone else wind that same ski up and it is a completely different animal ...

My take would be that any ski aimed at advanced would have good manners...but that its envelope would be pretty wide... as we all know there are intemediates and intermediates.... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Might not be so helpful...Laughing
snow report
SZK - I tried the B3 and wasnt keen on them. The instructor said they were too stiff for my weight...

Based on what everyone is saying rather than go for the exclusive legends - I think I'll go back out on Friday coz it looks like rain right up to 2400 and have another look for some wider ones.

With such a bad exchange rate at the mo even though the resort has what look like big reductions I am still not sure if some skis are a "good deal"? The exclusive legends I found were still 349 euros and the "movement spicy" that people keep offering me (never heard of them) are 398. Still seems expensive?
snow conditions
jayne durham, I think the Spicey is the women's equivalent of the Movement Sparks, and those skis get very good reviews around here.
latest report
Sophie really likes her 155cm Nordica SL-Rs - and they seem to work perfectly well in knee deep powder on the steeps...
snow conditions
jayne, if it helps for in resort comparisions, ellis brigham have the Exclusive Legend Powder + Dynastar NX Exclusive Lifter+ for £395 in the sale, about 494 euros (that's including bindings)
snow report
Oh - this thread is about skis Shocked Madeye-Smiley
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
jayne durham, I think the Spicey is the women's equivalent of the Movement Sparks, and those skis get very good reviews around here.

If they are the womens Spark, they'll get my vote...
On the Spark...
Very good performers across the range......can be driven or just ridden...so don't mind a sedate day but just wide enough to float pretty quickly and stable enough to go straight-ish in deep stuff. And they a re pretty light. Good swiss ski..well very good, IMV.

I accept that for knee deep plus, you might want a bigger ski, but for most of the mountain for most of the4 days, they'll do fine. And if you do get caught in knee deep...then a quick adjustment will work ok and not spoil the day.
Do I find them as easy as the 96mm Mantras..?? no, not in deep snow..and the Mantra is a very well balanced ski, IMO...but you can ski all day every day on them, if you want.....

The envelope is quite wide so the more input, the better the output... so good manners..!!!

btw.. I've had a badly tuned Spark or not tuned ..IMV...and it wasn't the same ski at all...but still not so shabby...

I'd say it would suit a advanced intermediate upwards...anything less and it is a bit of a waste..
snow conditions
jayne durham wrote:
SZK - I tried the B3 and wasnt keen on them. The instructor said they were too stiff for my weight...

I'm not surprised at that comment. That would also effectively rule out the Exclusive Legend Powder and Head Wild Thang (at least for on-piste learning). So the obvious choices are Exclusive Legend or Rossi B78W. From the many reviews, the Legends appear to have the best overall performance and the Rossis are the most forgiving. It's unlikely you'd be disappointed with either. Both would allow you to progress with your on-piste technique and make the off-piste considerably easier than your current skis. I very much doubt you really need 2 skis for now at least.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone.
Might try to test some skis tomorrow if its not raining.
Just got back and am soaked to the skin!
snow conditions
jayne durham wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Might try to test some skis tomorrow if its not raining.
Just got back and am soaked to the skin!

Testing skis with a rubbish bag on. Ah, the fond memories.

Careful, tho, the conditions might favour a less flexible fat ski that might not give you the float you like in the dry and fluffy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy