Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polar X Graphite Fluoro wax - any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have any of you guys & girls any experience of using the above

I currently use Polar X for my skiing on plastic and armed with a few hints and tips from spyderjon, it works pretty good

I'm wondering if the wax with graphite is worthwhile considering when I come to order some more Polar X. I understand the whole principle of adding graphite to make things more slippery, but wonder if in this application it's worthwhile/noticable or just a bit of a marketing gimmick?

Any one have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!

PS - I don't race on the dry slope, just recreational skiing. But as the slope is not watered/misted in any way, what with the (hopefully) warmer weather coming, I'm thinking any help I can get would be good
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My view is if on a dry slope and longevity of ski's is a plus, so anything else in the wax which helps this is a plus point. And if your bases are black.... there you go.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you don't race then you'll notice virtually no difference. Just get the hardest wax you can for dry slope, which is probably Polar X.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sleipnir, Anything that reduces friction (like graphite) will prolong the life of your wax job. Zardoz makes a good top up, or (if you like being old-fashioned), Data Racing silver rub on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless it's changed in the last ten years, Data Silver will only last a run, two at most. It also turns to treacle at high summer temperatures. Use a hard base wax and re-iron every three or four trips to the dry slope or more frequently if it's very warm. If you're looking for mid-session top-up use, look at one of the Data rub-on waxes such as the blue. It'll last longer than the silver.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On a dryslope one wipe of Zardoz will do far more in terms of speed increase & wear reduction than any graphite additive however AFAIK the standard PolarX will be longer be available so you'll have to have the graphite version. I haven't seen it yet so don't know how black it is but if it's like other graphite waxes it will stain no black bases & anything else it comes in contact with.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir, We tried the graphite stuff last year against the regular polar x and were frankly disappointed. it didn't seem to help and appeared to have a lower melting point (suggesting less protection). All subjective of course, no science to back this up but some of it went in the bin!
IMO the hardest wax around is the 4matwax available from the Rydings.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As your location is Birmingham I assume you are skiing at Ackers. Ask at the counter for the wax bucket, and put a small amount of the soft slippery wax it contains onto the strip of carpet at the top of the slope. Then slide over this once before *every* run.

This will reduce the friction, make turning easier and faster, and minimise heat build up, thus prolonging the life of your skis. By doing this, I've been using the same skis at Ackers (typically) twice a week for almost 3 years, and they are still fine - and I'm generally quite hard on skis.

They'll appreciate it greatly if you return the wax bucket after your session.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your thoughts folks

I've been using Polar X (re-waxing after every time I ski) and have been 'experimenting' as to what seems to work best. As spyderjon, says, Zardoz works very well and I've tried appling this over the Polar X and also underneath, ie Zardoz and then whilst still wet, over wax with Polar X. It's difficult to know what works best, but either way I'm not seeing any scorching on the bases of my skis and it feels slippy (even to a novice like me)

I've also tried some of the other products Data Wax offer (worth saying that I've no association with the company whatsoever); Soft 'n' Slippy and Super Slip Wax. The latter seems to be like Zardoz as it dries to to a hard coating

RobW, I didn't know that the folks at the Ackers would loan out the wax bucket - whenever I've seen the wax strip had some wax on it, I'd give my skis a quick rub. May be I should ask if I could borrow the bucket and give the wax strip a bit of a once over when I start

As johnDUB, said, whatever helps maintains the longevity of skis on a dry slope has got to be a plus point

I guess there will always be products on the market claiming to do XYZ, but how much these help/work it's down to whatever you are happy with
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy