Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to..?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to go to Austria in Jan 2009 and need a good all round resort.

We will be going with my non-skiing parents as they will be helping look after our daughter. They really love walking and go to Austria alot in the springtime. I think my dad may want to have a go at skiing so I will happily get him some lessons.

I guess our requirements are:

Short transfer
Lots of walking and other activities for the non-skier
Good childcare if we need it (on a drop in basis, if this exists)
Good child friendly hotels
Not to pricey
Places where we can take our daughter to play in the snow and maybe sledge etc
Slopes close to resort so can get back to hotel quickly if we need to

Any recommendations greatly received.

Thx
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kitzbuhel meets most of your requirements, although it's suitability will depend to a extent on what sort of skiing you are after; it does not have challenging piste skiing for the strong intermediate skier, although it has enjoyable skiing for all.

Transfer from Munich airport is 1.5 hours in good traffic and road conditions, 3 hours by train. (via downtown Munich).

There are plenty of marked paths for walkers up the mountain; it's possible to for skiers and walkers to meet for lunch up the mountain. Downtown Kitzbuhel is a pretty spot, with cafes and restaurants, and there are loads of cafes and restaurants up the mountain.

Can't comment on childcare.

There is a good number of hotels of all types, from pretty up market to B&Bs. Can't comment on their child friendliness. Some but by no means all are very convenient for the main lift and home run slopes and the nursery slopes, all of which are in the same area, more or less (on the main skiing side of the town, the Hahnenkamm).

I don't think that Kitzbuhel is particularly cheap for Austria, probably the reverse, but it seems cheap if you're used to UK prices.

There are nursery slopes on the edge of the town, with areas suitable for sledging. There are hotels close to the nursery slopes.

The main skiing is, as usual, up the mountain, so you won't be 5 minutes from the hotel, but that's not going to happen anywhere (there are one or two hotels up the mountain, but there's b all to do up there in the evening, (SFAIK) and you could still be skiing a way away. At that time of year, you should be able to ski down to the town comfortably so depending on where you ski and where you stay, you could be no more than 30 mins away, although probably further. Obviously, if you explore the area, you'll be further away.

Like most Austrian resorts, and most resorts with any charm, Kitzbuhel is low, so you can be unlucky witht the snow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy