Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Day 2" Syndrome

Poster: A snowHead
Is it me, or do all ski holidays start like this?

Arrival day - arise at some ungodly hour - airport, flight, transfer, arrive resort, go out and get hammered.

Day 1 - despite arrival day, up early, get first lift, ski as if life itself depended on it, go out again in evening and get hammered.

Day 2 - spoo
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try going midweek to midweek, then you wouldn't arrive until day 3 or 4, and you could miss that day 2 syndrome altogether.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorery mike but it's just you. I don;t do the "going out till 2am geting hammered" as I know that if I do I won;t be able to ski. I can get hammered and feel ill at home, but if I've paid a few hundred pounds for a ski trip then I damn well want to ski

note some of my mates do do the "going out till 2am geting hammered" thingm, but they're still up for first lift with us the next day,
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain air has been the best hangover cure i've found. Twenty minutes, feel great. Trouble arrives on the last day, on the flight back!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with you on that nbt, cannot understand why anyone would want to wait all year to go skiing and then inflict a massive hangover on themselves which in effect ruins 1/6th of their week.
I like a good drink but even more I like a day on the slopes without a thick head! Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike, thats my every day routine, incidently im nearly always off sick for a week when i get home, last time it was bronchitis!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike, I see the problem: you're obviously not well practiced enough at the going out in the evening bit. The plan is to go out every night, but still get up every morning to ski as if life depended on it. You can sleep at home.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SteveG, I find that too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ive never had the energy to get drunk after skiing I'm usually done in by 9.00, need to sleep to make the early lifts fresh as a daisy. I also learnt how to beat a hang over as a student - never mix drinks, lots of water, up early, and fresh air, never fails.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike, Mike, you are so right.

Haven't found any correlation to alcohol or sleep. I just never, whether on a 2 day or 15 day trip, ski as well on day 2 as days 1 or 3+. Many friends find the same.

Very strange.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trying a different plan next trip. Deliberately arriving late in resort so that I won't go out and get hammered on arrival day. Day 1 should be fantastic (as always). Now how about Day 2...........ok, I see what you mean. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe if you consistently lived like that (going out on school nights etc) then ski holidays would be like every other day - and you'd be fine!

ps - it may kill you!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I find on a Saturday departure, it's always Tuesday when I can't get out of bed, and my skiings rubbish when I do.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just don't bother getting up on day 2!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, Sorry, but that is most definitely not an option
latest report
Skiing is too great to have a hangover. As I get older I find I go to bed earlier and earlier but strangely still wake up at the same time to make sure I am on the first lifts in the morning. Very Happy
ski holidays
I have to say that the idea that mountain air cures all hangovers is a bit of a myth. If you only have a mild to moderate one then it does work, however with the really severe ones, it has very little effect at all.
snow report
You're off the slopes by 5pm. Start earlier (5-6pm) and finish earlier (11pm say) that's still a decent session and you can still get 8-9 hours kip and make the first lift.
snow report
This is very easy - you can have beer the other 51 weeks of the year !
ski holidays
ski, Sad if you can only ski on one week a year because you need to drink on the other 51. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Personally, now I'm getting a bit older, but skiing with people younger than me, I find it is about day 4 I notice it catches up with me a bit. If I go out for 2 weeks I have to take a half day out in the middle.
This is not helped by the fact that (eg on SCGB holidays) the others go out by plane but I go by night train (when I can) and get in that extra day before they arrive. I always end up skiing harder than I mean to that day, since I am usually just with one other person and there are no pauses while the group collects before going on.
snow conditions
Quote:

If you only have a mild to moderate one then it does work, however with the really severe ones, it has very little effect at all.

This is why you should never mix your drinks and always avoid anything that might be 'free' local spirits. wink
ski holidays
I find that the hardest part of the morning after a heavy drinking session the day before is the bit between my alarm going off and arriving at the top of the mountain.

After the adrenaline rush I get from the first piste run I'm fine and up can't wait to get back to the top.

Then I finish off the day with a few drinks in a mountain bar, before going out and getting hammered again in the evening.

The perfect holiday Very Happy
snow report
albeemish, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
Only been reeeeeally hammered twice, once in Kitzbuhel when two of us skied no more in the holiday due to a very nasty tobboganing incident, Once in Tignes when 2 of us failed to sit on a 6 man chair properly and ended trapped underneath.

My Day 2 feeling now is "oh no, only 5 more days left"
ski holidays
Thanks Elizabeth
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont wrote:
I find on a Saturday departure, it's always Tuesday when I can't get out of bed, and my skiings rubbish when I do.

My crowd calls this the "fridge day", i.e. the day when you ski like a fridge. Must be quite a common phenomenon snowHead
latest report
Quote:

If you only have a mild to moderate one then it does work, however with the really severe ones, it has very little effect at all.

Best then to go for a really really severe one, they don't even think about waking up and kicking in until after you've finished skiing

Comfortably numb.

Reminds me of a guest once, remarking with joy to chalet girl that he'd beaten everyone to breakfast (having not previously appeared at all).

Amid fits of giggles poor girl had to tell him that it was dark because it was 6 in the evening not the morning and he hadn't just missed breakfast but the whole of the day.

Not to be recommended...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Feeling that this Embarassed is one thing, it is when you start vomitting at the bottom of a run (Lake Louise when I was old enough to know better) that you know you need an AA apointment
snow report
Last year in La Rosiere, with a group of lads ('er indoors went with work, so I had a "late pass") we had a pretty good night out on the second evening. I forgot about the house plonk we'd had with our evening meal (chalet board) and continued in to the unkown region of 10 pints. The next day's skiing (Tuesday) was pretty bad, not helped by waking up at 4AM needing the bathroom and then having to climb out of the top bunk in the dark. It was messy.

I promised myself I'll never do that again. After all, us 34 year olds know better, don't we? We'll see.
latest report
You know that it's a proper bad hangover, when after a days skiing in the mountain air, plenty of water and gatorade, and food at lunch, and on the last run down, you still have that stale beer taste in the back of your throat, and that rhythmic pounding in your head.

I would hope that in my thirties, I would also know better, but it seems that the lesson has still to be properly learnt.
snow report
i cant seem to think of anything more fun that skiing all day n getting wasted everynight.

gettin up for ski lessons is always a bit hard tho.
latest report
I think that it's a question of balance. If the snow's crap next week, then the balance will shift more towards toffee vodka and hangovers, if it snows (fingers crossed), more towards early nights and first lifts. wink
ski holidays
Just dont forget to buy the instructor a few drinks...then you wont be the only one in your class suffering
I find the best way is to drink till late , get up early and have some proper tea and then first lift , dont give the hangover a chance to realise that you have got up wink
latest report
the first, and last, time i drank at altitude was enough to put me off forever. it was the 2nd day id been up on the mountain, and i decided to have some red wine, about half a bottle all in all. really fantastic stuff, but i felt a bit tipsy and didnt want to get hungover, so i drank a lot of water and went to bed.

the next morning i felt awful. but i had a lesson and wanted to get out on the slopes, so shaking and with my head pounding i got dressed and grabbed my board. i was fine until i got out in the sunlight and just couldnt face it. went back and was miserable the entire day. since then, its "just say no" and dont drink at altitude. that was of course, until last year - when a friend of mine brought some johnny walker gold label, which went nicely in my hip flask and was used when the ski lifts were too long.
ski holidays
Had a nasty one myself last season. It started innocently enough with a drop of wine with lunch (well, it was my birthday), but the vin brulee at mid-afternoon was gratuitous. The apres started okay as well with about 4 pints in a friend's bar before finding some dinner over a couple more beers at another bar. Where it all started to go wrong was when my mate decided to surreptitiously get me to drink the entire cocktail menu in another bar before eventually heading off to a night club. He redeemed himself there though by peeling the unfinished vodka coke from my unfeeling hand at about 5am and dragging me away from the wall I was staring at. Apparently, it was a very long walk home indeed due to the excessive traversing I was doing. First time I have ever woken up as late as 11am before going skiing (and then not managing very much at all before deciding I really ought to try to track down my wallet - it eventually turned up though Embarassed ).
latest report
Is it the beer or the altitude that makes skii resort hangovers worse than home-grown ones? Puzzled
latest report
No, you're obviously not drinking enough at home.....
latest report
Nothing cures a hangover like a faceful of snow Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy