Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings mounted badly

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK. here is an annoying situation. I got some fatish (88 mm) skis for touring, brand new, and went to my local shop to ask if they could mount my naxo bindings as a favour. They didn't have a jig for naxo bindings, but went and got a paper template from another shop.

After getting the skis back, I realised that they had mounted them slightly off center. It is only by 1.5-2 mm but it is quite noticeable. Both bindings are in line with the ski, but just not center. And they are a different amount off center, one only just, one by up to 2 mm. And they are both off to the left!

I took the skis to another shop (the one I should have taken them to in the first instance). They said there isn't anything they can do - because the true position is so close to where they are at the moment that the holes would overlap.

So, my question for all you ski techie types is does it matter? Other than being able to see that they are in the center, will a 1.5 mm difference on an 88 mm waist actually make any difference to my skiing? If I fall over, can I blame it on my bindings Toofy Grin

Because they were my own skis and bindings, and the first shop fitted them for free, I can't really ask them to get me a new set...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easy. get some bigger boots and remount the bindings rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowmonkey, thats the problem with favours...they can come back and bite, you should be able to have them re mounted but it would need to be done with the proper jig and ALL the hole helicoiled, this will take time patience and could cost quite a bit, a helicoil is like a rawlplug for a ski, tap in inserts are posssibly sufficent but i would suggest brasee ones rather than the plastic ones...but if you can find a shop with true wind in helicoils it will be the strongest job, alternatively you could move the bindisn10mm forward or back or just live with it

BTW i would be mighty p!$$ed off and even if it didn't affect the performance you may in your mind think it did
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bet it won't make a jot of difference.

I think my last pair were missmounted by more than that (strangely also 88mm wide) and I couldn't tell.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It won't make any difference when you're skiing. Just in your mind.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Look on the bright side - Your turns in one direction will be really sharp!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
daehwons wrote:
easy. get some bigger boots and remount the bindings rolling eyes

WRONG!

Get some smaller boots & remount the bindings Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mosha Marc wrote:
I bet it won't make a jot of difference

I think my last pair were missmounted by more than that (strangely also 88mm wide) and I couldn't tell.

Yep, your 8800's bindings were quite a bit on the pi$$, especially on one ski.

Glad you couldn't tell the difference as I've just finished the vice'n'pipe job on ya Look brakes & my jigless mount is about 0.5mm out on one ski Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ha ha that reminds me of 2 seasons ago and my ageing father fixed my bindings on my then brand new public enemey's but did so squint.
When i told him he'd messed up he sais it was corrective to my bad leg. I begged to differ and said he had shocking eyesight and his competance levels were questionable.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
0.5mm out!!!

Break out a fresh pair of planks and redrill straightaway Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowmonkey wrote:
........They didn't have a jig for naxo bindings, but went and got a paper template from another shop......

When mounting bindings without a jig getting the fore/aft positioning is the easy bit - although many skis have mismatched top sheets so after marking up the first ski it's always best to take a check measure from the tail of the ski.

Getting the bindings positioned down the centreline of the ski is a lot more tricky as the sidecut of the ski is very deceiving to the eye - you can actually be as much as 2/3mm out & it still looks ok, & the more wacky the ski's graphics the harder it is. Another major thing to factor in is that most sidewall profiles are not consistent so measuring from the edges of the top sheet does not guarantee that the binding will be on the centreline of the ski. For this reason it's always best to mark the centreline down the ski by measuring between the ski's metal edges. Stockli's are a sod for this especially their Laser SL & GS models which often look off-centre due to the inconsistency of their sidewalls.

Snowmonkey, it's worth checking this as your bindings might not be as off centre as you think. If you haven't got a suitable caliper wrap a piece of paper around the ski & crease the paper down the metal edges. Then fold the paper in half by matching the edge line creases to find the centreline between the edges. Then wrap the pap er around the ski again & transpose the centreline to the ski. Then see how the centreline of the bindings match up against the true centre of the ski. You'll need to do this immediately in front & behind both the toe & heel pieces to test both parallel & angular error.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, if this is an issue though, am I right in thinking that a VIST plate might be a way to rectify the situation without killing performance too much?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, what drives me batty is that this is presumably a -shop- that would in theory at least have other jigs, that could be used to index and center the holes of the paper jig.

PhillipStanton, depends on the hole placement, and you might wind up with a ski boot that's more than 50mm+ off the ski. Stiffening the forebody of the ski can also make it backslide more.

For my own use, I'd probably just back the screws out, center the binding using moderate force, put the screws back in with epoxy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton wrote:
spyderjon, if this is an issue though, am I right in thinking that a VIST plate might be a way to rectify the situation without killing performance too much?

A plate could be used to rectify a mismounted binding as the plate's mounting holes are way different from the binding holes so there's no clash, therefore allowing the binding to be remounted in the same postion. In this situation, as it's a touring rig, I'd use seperate toe/heel plastic risers so to not add stiffness & weight but it would add 10mm of lift.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the advice chaps. They are back at the original shop now - not sure what they are going to do...I wait with baited breath!

Re: the plate - not sure if that is such a good idea because with the Naxo bindings, I am already standing tall on the skis...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy