Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which ski lift would you like upgraded?

Poster: A snowHead
I would like the Balme chair, which links Serre Chevalier 1400 to Monetier-les-Bains.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Every t-bar on the face of the planet - sorry to be facetious Helen, real answer is the Snowflake ( ?? ) lift in Breckenridge
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The nutcracker(don't know the proper name, sorry!) in Le Fornet sector of Val d'Isere.

Some of the old two man chairs on Blackcomb mountain.

The really slow and long three man chair from Stuben back to St Anton, which always ends up with a massive crowd around it at the end of a day.

The problem is that if you replace all these lifts, then the areas suddenly become easier to get to, and so more crowded, and so lose a lot of their attractiveness.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The long t-bar on the Saas Fee glacier Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Tuffs chair in Tignes Val Claret. Is strategically really usefull but rather slow.
However I have a suspicion it's being replaced this year anyway so i'll shut up now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the 2 man chair at Puy Saint vincent, goes from 2000m to 2750m

its a old slow 2 man, [ wooden seats ] and it proppa smacks u right in the back of the knee!

it takes forever to get ther :@ and its the only route to one of the best runs
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd have to say the Vega chairlift in La Plagne. Like Fezza said about his nomination, it's an old 2 man wooden rickety effort that near knocks yer kneecaps out. It's the slowest lift in the resort, and after being sat on it last year when it was -25C with another -9C on the windchill, I would be glad to never go near the bloody thing again!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its got to be the two man chair lift in sauze, you all know the one. The one where you have to take your skis off and carry them under your arm with you poles as well. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kranjska gora, there is a single seater chair lift which, if I remember correctly, rolling eyes you have to ride side saddle!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The T-Bar at Birg,Murren,Switzerland
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timberwolf wrote:
Every t-bar on the face of the planet

are t bars bad?
never been on one.

are they worser than drag lifts?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fezza, T-bars are infinitely worse than drag lifts! You always seem to end up sharing one with someone who is much taller or much shorter than you, or someone who wants to ski on your side of the drag line. Either of these situations means a constant battle with your T-bar companion as you ride up the hill. I'd like to see all the T-bars on the Tignes glacier replaced - drag lifts would be OK if chairlifts weren't possible.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Two strong candidates at Les Diablerets: (i) The chairlift that links the Meilleret ski area in Les D. with Villars - old slow 2 seater chair that's permanently in shadow, so painfully cold; (ii) the Le Laouissalet T Bar that brings you back to the Les D side of the mountain - major bottleneck from mid-afternoon onwards. Both look to be 10-20 years overdue for replacement. I read on one of the French language ski websites that Les Diablerets' coffers are bare, so apparently no immediate prospects of improvement.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fezza,
Quote:
the 2 man chair at Puy Saint vincent, goes from 2000m to 2750m
its a old slow 2 man, [ wooden seats ] and it proppa smacks u right in the back of the knee!
it takes forever to get ther :@ and its the only route to one of the best runs

Maybe that's why it's one of the best runs Little Angel

If you look in the Ski Esprit brochure they show the top of the Pendine as being a nice detachable quad!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes wrote:
The T-Bar at Birg,Murren,Switzerland

Amen.
ski holidays
The 4 man Arpette Chair up out of Bellecote in La Plagne could use an upgrade since it's now the main link back to Les Arcs via the Vanoise Express as well as being a pretty busy lift even before Paradiski opened. It's not old or even very slow but just overwhelmed by volume of traffic at times. Needs to be a fast 6 pack or maybe better another 4 seater running parallel.
latest report
I 'd like to see the lifts taken out Very Happy

Getting back to the subject

>>>The really slow and long three man chair from Stuben back to St Anton, which always ends up with a massive crowd around it at the end of a day <<<<

This is in the planning. There were rumours it was going to be done in 2003 ( New Chair with Bubble for wind Protection) but its been put back till ???????????? Probably due to overspend on the Nasserein Gondola (Construction delays) & wasting there money on the new GambergBahn on Rendl.
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, I'd agreee with that one.
snow report
I'll agree with kuwait_ian as I may be using that one a few times reasonably soon. Otherwise I'd say the small cable car up to the Youla at Courmayeur.
snow report
Helen, Am now super scared of the lift you mentioned at the top of this post... how on earth is that thing a drag lift, i wont have any quads left by the top!!

I also agree with kuwait_ian!!
ski holidays
There's a T bar at Denton (or near it) in Austria. As far as I know it is one of the longest in Europe, at around 3km.

But, the lift I'd like to see upgraded is the left hand one in Xscape, Milton Keynes. It's about 1000m too short. snowHead
ski holidays
Wouldn't you need the MK piste extended first, or are you planning a parachute decent to the current one?
ski holidays
Pete Horn wrote:
Wouldn't you need the MK piste extended first?

That was what I was implying! snowHead
ski holidays
WTFH - you mean Dienten, and yep it's very long. I will be going there this Feb but skiing rather than boarding that day! There's also a long T-Bar at Galtur that I think was or is the longest in Austria. There's no excuse for any resort to have T-Bars nowadays apart from maybe on glaciers where they need to be moveable. The Yanks don't have any so why should we?
ski holidays
Agreed:-

Gjspain, the Clotes 2-man in Sauze
Kramer, the 3-man up from Stuben in StAnton
Helen Beaumont, the 3-man connection to Monetier in Serre Che
plus, my personal gripe:
The twin 2-man at Sportinia in Sauze
ski holidays
most of the lifts in Sauze rolling eyes
snow report
The conveyor belt in Val D, going up to the new 24 man gondola and the funicular, it nearly ate Sam when everyone fell off on top of him.
ski holidays
The problem with updating lifts is that it simply makes the pistes more congested and as Kramer says, spoils the character of the runs.

Eventually it leads to more congestion, wider pistes uprated lifts etc. Just like the M25 ?

Perhaps what we should be doing is replacing chairs with T bars and T bars with rope tows - that would probably enhance the actual skiing !
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S, absolutely ! - can we replace the new Herse chair at the Grands Montets with a drag....
snow report
Quote:

The 4 man Arpette Chair up out of Bellecote in La Plagne could use an upgrade since it's now the main link back to Les Arcs

Yup, seen some horrendous queues there, and on the Colosses opposite it that leads you back over towards Plagne Centre when it's getting to about 15 mins before the lifts go off
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
There's a T bar at Denton (or near it) in Austria. As far as I know it is one of the longest in Europe, at around 3km.

But, the lift I'd like to see upgraded is the left hand one in Xscape, Milton Keynes. It's about 1000m too short. snowHead

wtfh Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
magicrichard, that's a chairlift now, not a drag, it's just slow, long and very cold. Charlatanefc, I remember( i think) when the Colosses was a nasty long drag, awful then, better now.
snow conditions
We should all be using touring bindings and skins.

I agree that the upgrade in Rendl was a complete waste of money, it never seems to get that busy.
ski holidays
IN the US the lift companys have found that by replacing there lifts with high speeds people were getting there kicks on the slopes in less hours so were only by 1/2 day tickets .
This has resulted in 1/2 day ski passes being hiked to be more representive of 3/4 day Price .
snow report
I think I read somewhere that there is now a safety regulation regarding long steep drags lifts, which means that they will have to be replaced by other forms of up-hill transport. I can see the large resorts complying with this eventually, but not the smaller ones, they just don't have the money.
snow conditions
Chris, essentially anywhere in France that a drag lift exceeds a 60% gradient it will need to be replaced. I believe this to be a fine example of the state imposing standards for the benefit of all. Of course, anyone who disagrees with state intervention doesn't have to use them.
latest report
Gjspain,
Caspar,

What is wrong with us Puzzled Only two votes!!!!

Has to be the most bizarre and worst chair in Europe. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
The Grand Nord chair here in LDA - long, slow, uncomfortable (wood and metal) and with footrests that no-one over the age of 8 can use. It also runs on diesel and is noisy & smelly! Very useful position though. Madeye-Smiley

Also the 2 man Cretes chair. Ideally placed for beginners but with a horrid, steep, short dismount guaranteed to put the fear of God up you know where in every beginner you meet. A nice 2 man detachable with a gentle dismount on order please. Also, because this is our main teaching slope the queues get horrendous in holiday time (unless you take private lessons of course!) wink
snow report
Quote:
Helen Beaumont
I remember( i think) when the Colosses was a nasty long drag, awful then, better now.

The drag is still there as well, bloody horrendous, our instructor took us on it in our 1st week of ski school Confused I try and avoid drag lifts at all costs, hate the things. Much prefer a chairlift so I can rest me fat backside and me plates of meat for a bit Smile
snow report
Charlatanefc, it's also easier to have a smoke on a chairlift. It can be done on a drag lift or a T-bar, but it's a high risk undertaking.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy