Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'isere 20-27 April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, newby here after some tips and advice!

I've been boarding for years but have decided to give the other side a try Very Happy so have done the "learn to ski in a day" at Xscape in Milton Keynes - all 8 hours of it! I really enjoyed it and it all seemed to come quite easily - by the end of the day I had almost got parallel turning (almost...) so instructor signed me off to level 5 or "early intermediate". I am planning to get a couple more practice sessions in before I go on the trip.

Now I have found the snow bug again, I rushed out and booked a cheaky week with the Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard mag as it looked like a good deal (includes free lesson, cheap off-piste guiding, daily guiding from DM staff and Le Ski guides, gear testing day, etc etc ... ) and my thought was to develop skiing in mornings and do some more adventurous boarding in the afternoons (unless I cant leave the skis alone snowHead ) so here come the questions:

- anyone had any experience of these trips? Any good? What sort of crowd? Wrinklies, party lot or mixed? Age ranges?
- The guiding says you should be able to ski red run standard to go with guides, I have mainly been boarding in Canada (to black runs) so am not sure where my skiing lesson will pitch me as they dont have red runs (Green, blue, black only)? Where should I start?
- Should I book a course of morning skiing lessons for the week or would that separate me from the trip scene? Or should I just go for it!?!?
- any snowheads going?
- Is the tandem parapente worth doing?
Puzzled

I will probably come up with more questions as it gets closer but that will do for now.

Cheers

Nathan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nath, I haven't been on a DM ski trip, So I can't help you with that... I can however, tell you that the tandem parapente is well worth a go, I did one over Tignes about a month ago, and I am going to do another near the end of the season and take advantage of the (hopefully) amazing weather!

Good luck with everything else!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nath- i you going alone? can you forward some link to this offer. thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serjoe, I am going on mi own but sounds like there are about 100 going, I just dont know what sort of crowd. Link attached below:

http://www.metrosnow.co.uk/index.php?id=65

If that doesnt work, go to the metrosnow website and select "The Magazine" then "Readers holidays". It is run by Le Ski. It says that you need to be a mag subscriber but when I rang them up, Le SKi didn't mention it and I haven't paid for one. The £399 is for 2 sharing (or one in a shared room) with no en suite, £449 for an en suite room.

Todays weather has really got my appetite going ... trip to Xscape needed this week I think! Very Happy

N
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
george_1, thanks for the recommendation. A friend of mine is into paragliding and has been trying to convert me so seems like a good place to try it out. Do you know if the Teignes parapente cover VDI as well? If so who did you go with?

N
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nath, Can't help you with the DM ski trip, never done one. but if you are going to Val D for your first week on skis my best advice would be DON'T ski down to la Daille on 'Verte' on your first day. It may be a green on the piste map, but it's really a red. Very Happy

best runs to start on are the top part of verte, Grand Pre and genepi. Borsat is lovely too, but has a slightly steep 1st 100 m, after that it's bliss.

Check out the Morris bar for apres, live music and normally packed.

P.S. cheapest drinks are in the Grand Marnier Bar. 2.80 for a beer and 1.70 for a double Grand marnier. they also do crepes with (help yourself) grand marnier on the bar - a treat not to be missed Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman, thanks for the tips - will leave the 'Verte' alone for a day or three ... cheap drink and crepes ... sounds a must! Thanks for the tips. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll be in Val D that week, although not on the DM trip (couldn't get a place)...so glad there is still snow, have been stressing about it since I booked the trip in Feb!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KateF, looks like snow will be better than it was when you booked the trip! Relax, it'll be fantastic in Val D'Isere next week. snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam W - Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KateF, I haven't been stressing about snow, have been stressing about my replacement passport not turning up!! Luckily it appeared this morning so end of stress. I think the DM trip sold out quite early but they had a fire in a couple of chalets so moved to a larger venue which released a few extra late spaces. Are you going in a group?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nath, Hope that passport turns up for you, will keep my fingers crossed!!! I'm just going with one of my friends, but we're in a chalet so hopefully there will be some other people staying there too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KateF, passport safe and sound thanks. Looks like its been snowing again snowHead . Chalet sounds good although I've not done one before (hotels previously) so not sure what to expect - sounds quite social though. If you fancy a beer or two at the end of a run, let me know. Enjoy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nath, beer or two after a good days skiing sounds great, I'll pm you my mobile number.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KateF, PM'd you back - see you in Val.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy