Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Breathing during and after exercise

Poster: A snowHead
When I use my exercise machines if I find I can do so is it better to take deep slowish steady breaths during the exercise or to puff/pant in shorter sharper breaths, also which sort of breathing is better post exercise?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, are you a mouth breather?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,
Quote:
also which sort of breathing is better post exercise

The one that stops you dying, continuous motion. Confused
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
II, during the exercise yes, I think, after probably not much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, if you can do breath through your nose it's so much more "lady like" Wink next you'll be telling us you sweat rather than glow rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cardiovascular - regular, normal breathing, preferably through the nose - not panting.
Weight-based exercise - prepare by breathing in through the nose and - on the effort - out through the mouth.
Post-exercise stretching - similar to weight-based.
Post-exercise relaxation - lie down and breathe normally through the nose, but slowing down your breathing by concentrating on long out breaths.

But I'm sure a real expert will be along shortly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, once replied: "Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can."
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simple strategy to exercise. Keep your heartbeat above 150, make sure you are sweating (now for the ladies this means that when you start sweating you continue, yes continue not stop and start chatting), do for at least 30 mins or more on a regular basis and all is fine. Breathing is a natural thing, it will sort itself out one way or the other Skullie
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Keep your heartbeat above 150, ....

Surely not for everyone? I thought there was a formula that takes age and resting heart-rate into account?

My heart-rate when starting at the gym (so not really "resting" I guess) is usually around 65 and I was told I need to work in the 120-130 range. I certainly need to work pretty hard to get into and maintain that range.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jerry wrote:
New Zealand coach Arthur Lydiard, when asked how runners should breathe, once replied: "Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can."
No wonder you are an ace runner mate wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly,
Quote:
I was told I need to work in the 120-130 range. I certainly need to work pretty hard to get into and maintain that range.

Are you sweating at this heart rate, are your lungs flaring? If not, it ain't enough, if they are thats good. Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, oh yes, getting very un-femininely damp and breathing very hard!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Butterfly wrote:
thefatcontroller, oh yes, getting very un-femininely damp and breathing very hard!

That's a pretty good set-up line just begging for a response Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly wrote:

Well you sould go do some exercise then and run of your urges Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I recommend breathing before, during and also after exercise.
ski holidays
Megamum, Just to complicate matters....I once did a ski lesson based around timing your breathing at the right part of the turn. To be absolutely honest I can't remember exactly the pattern...I do remember it doing my head in at first but once I got the hang of it there was a definite difference when you got it right. On a dry slope mind you....I've never remembered to try it on the real thing.
ski holidays
Breathing Hurtle has that sorted...

Heart rate;

150 to 175 range but to get a more accurate check for your age and sex go to http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm and check it out.

But >150 sounds about right dependant on your fitness, fatness and health..see a doctor if you at all concerned blah, blah blah
latest report
Doesn't the correct heart rate during exercise depend on what you are trying achieve? (Muscle stress / development, stamina, warm up, fat burning, recovery etc). .... and the best fitness regime includes a combination not just one zone?

http://www.healthgoods.com/Shopping/images/Acumen_Target_Heart_Rate_Zone.gif

http://www.howtobefit.com/five-heart-rate-zones.htm
snow report
Hurtle, pretty much spot on, exactly what a coach or trainer would advise.
latest report
DB, and the tables don't hold true for all, particularly long-time exercisers.
latest report
When I first started to learn to ski my instructor told me I did'nt breathe enough, in fact I was holding my breathe (without realising), is this common or am I just weird
snow report
comprex, oh good, I was wondering why I wasn't dead!

Frosty, very common, and not very healthy!
latest report
Urg, life's too short to worry about how much you're breathing. Especially for recreational skiers like most of us.

god wtf am I doing wasting my life typing on an internet forum for... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Thanks for all the comments folks b.t.w. I don't fall into the category of 'lady' not when I spend most of my life in wellies, cutting goat feet and building fences. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Frosty wrote:
When I first started to learn to ski my instructor told me I did'nt breathe enough, in fact I was holding my breathe (without realising), is this common or am I just weird

No, I used to do that as well. Not so much these days.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Frosty wrote:

No, I used to do that as well. Not so much these days.

I think one tends to do it more when in the process of learning something new - it's when you're concentrating really hard, I guess. I know a professional pianist who started getting odd pains which in the end were traced back to her forgetting to breathe when she was practising sometimes! Shocked
snow conditions
Hurtle, cured myself in the end but it took a while Embarassed
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
I think one tends to do it more when in the process of learning something new - it's when you're concentrating really hard, I guess.

I think that's right. I still do it occasionally, in skiing and in other things, but I've learned that it's a bit counter-productive to concentrate really hard when skiing so I hope that involuntary breath holding is a more or less a thing of the past.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My instructor frequently tells me 'please breath'
snow conditions
Megamum, and have you corrected his English?

...sorry, just getting my coat.
ski holidays
Megamum, As you are still posting I can gather you followed his advice? Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy