Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

resort with easy red runs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
can someone suggest a rsort which has easy red runs. I know all runs vary but I am having a mental block and can ski all the blue runs I have come across but am being a scardy cat when it comes to going for my first red. Have skied blues at La rosiere, sainte foy, puy st vincent, st anton kaprun in different conditions (icy/nice snow/slushy/whiteout), and also managed an easy blue in killington.

all countries/resorts open for discusson

Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Champoluc, in the Monte Rosa ski domain, has some easy reds, the two Ostafa pistes in particular. Neighbouring Gressoney has Moos, which may be the world's easiest black: a short steep section at the top, after which it's almost flat.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi fizz, just got back from Les Arcs area and the Reds above Vallandry (middle of the Paradiski piste map, near the left hand terminus of the currently moribund Vanoise Express) were fantastic. OK , so the snow conditions were virtually ideal but they were wide and quiet, even though Easter weekend. Not too steep either! We had some timid second week skiers with us and they were fine with them. Happy hunting! snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will vouch for the reds above Vallandry. My kids (5 & 8 ) went down most of them on their second day ever skiing at Easter this year.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fizz, I have 'the flag thing' too and in some places have got myself onto reds that have challenged my capacity to act like an adult! Places I've found reds that are a bit friendlier and gave my confidence a boost include Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux, - all fairly easy reds. Morillon (Stade and bottom half of Bergins, haven't been brave enough for the others but it was 3 years ago) Wengen - the Mannlichen side of the area was fairly tame - some have an alternative route to avoid a steeper section if you want to.

Alternatively and definitely the thing that has given me confidence to 'have a go' is get yourself over to LDA ( where the reds are IMO definitely not tame) and have a few hours with easiski - she'll sort you out!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gressoney la Trinite has some lovely red runs, that are not too demanding.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fizz, Cervinia has a lot of wide motorway type red pistes, so might well suit. You also have the option of skiing into Zermatt for some more challenging ones if required. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just come back from Les Gets, most of the reds aren't too bad.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
another vote for Cervinia and the reds above Vallandry Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fizz, Verbier - pretty much all the pistes apart from Mont Fort are easy there - really.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Reds above Vallandry get my vote -great pitch to make fast carving turns
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les Arcs

Aigle, Morey and Ours are nice easy reds above vallandry.
TBH they are not really reds. There are blues over at arc 1800/1600 and 2000 harder.
They rarely get moguls.

Plagnettes off the top of the transarc is a nice red for those wishing to safely progress on to proper reds.

Tux
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tuxpoo, the very ones...........
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fizz, Just back from Selva. On first day went skiing down in Ortesei! They were all at least it seemed to be red runs! Went down them all and was waiting for the steep bit to come. They did not come, should have been graded blue, but apparently they only had red paint at the time!!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Annie, said
Quote:

Alternatively and definitely the thing that has given me confidence to 'have a go' is get yourself over to LDA ( where the reds are IMO definitely not tame) and have a few hours with easiski - she'll sort you out!

fizz, how much good quality tuition have you had? Annie is right you know, it really is the answer. No point getting stuck on the "colour" of runs. There are reds here (in Les Saisies) which should definitely be blue. There are also reds within the area which can be pretty difficult, and very difficult in poor snow conditions. So what does that prove?
snow report
fizz wrote:
Hi
can someone suggest a rsort which has easy red runs. I know all runs vary but I am having a mental block and can ski all the blue runs I have come across but am being a scardy cat when it comes to going for my first red.

Thanks in advance

Dude, simple solution. Don't look at trail map or markers. Just follow someone

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
fizz wrote:
Hi
can someone suggest a rsort which has easy red runs.

La Rosiere easy blacks, even easier reds wink
snow report
If you've skied St Anton, and been down happy valley after 2pm, I wouldn't worry about any red on the planet Wink
snow report
Just been to Les Gets/Morzine and the reds were plentiful and neither too easy not too hard. Most are lovely cruisy runs that allow you to really open up the throttle. Plus, most have plenty of space and weren't crowded at all. Good snow there too at the moment
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
fizz wrote:
Hi

Most runs are easy, without idiots and crowds Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:
fizz wrote:
Hi

Most runs are easy, without idiots and crowds Very Happy

is that what they said after you took your family off the slope? Laughing
ski holidays
Les Arcs has some really nice red-run skiing, and Saalbach has a huge proportion of easy reds.
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays
I would back up Les Gets/Morzine. There are a few bumpy ones but my daughter was coming down the reds in Les Gets by the end of last week (her first real week of skiing).
snow report
Thanks very much for all the suggestions:
In answer to your question pam, I have just had a week with a fab instructor in Sainte foy called Brian Hogg (I will write up a review of sainte foy as it really suited our mixed group) which has improved my technique enough for me to contemplate a red, but it is very much a mental block as soon as I seen red poles red sign etc I find the quickest way back to a blue red, wonder if there is a fear of red? redaphobia?
ski holidays
fizz, another vote for Vallandry from me, cos even I skied sections of reds Shocked Shocked

I'll tell you which ones, cos if I can anyone can!

1. Top of the new Derby lift - turn right down blue Renard then shortly right again off it onto Belette (without looking at the colour Wink), leaving it again to go on the Acces Transarc.
2. Sections of Morey. What's nice here is the very very gentle blue Foret snakes back and forth crossing Morey several times, so it's possible to do a short section of it and know there's a "get-out point" where you can decide whether to continue on the red or divert onto Foret.
ski holidays
snowheads agree!! It's a miracle!!

The red runs around Peisey and Vallandry in Les Arcs are easy!!!

I was there as well- also at Easter- telemarking (the only Asian Telemarker in Les Arcs)

The blacks above Vallandry are quite easy- but not all of them- and not on tele gear
ski holidays
I'm with gortonator - don't bother with a piste map.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have three suggestions based on the fact my wife (and to an extent I) was in your shoes earlier this year.

Cervinia.

Cervinia.

Cervinia.

Very Happy

It is eaxctly what you want. Check out the Search Forum for a discussion I instigated about it and you will see lots of comments from wise snowHead who were 101% correct.
ski holidays
edsilva, Not only do I agree with you but I saw you telemarking away! (unless your claim to be the only telemarking asian in Les Arcs is a false one - there could be another but you paths never crossed? snowHead ). Have you seen the recent thread on here on TMing?

Echoing Butterfly, I think the widest red I have ever seen is under the top part of the Grizzly lift (one of the faster ones) in Vallandry. Because the snow was so good the between piste areas were being skied on easily (provided you didn't stop and sink!) snowHead
ski holidays
fizz, someone has already said this I imagine, but if you have skied blues in all those resorts in all those conditions, you can ski reds, easy or not. Don't think too much about the colour of the run, trust your companion (if you can!) or instructor, and go for it. There are blues in St Anton which would be regarded as reasonably challenging reds in some resorts, and so much depends on the conditions. Happy Valley (blue) in St Anton with slush and a few thousand people is a difficult run. Kandahar (black) in St Anton with decent snow and only a light covering of people is not difficult. I was skiing a few weeks ago with a 2nd weeker, not especially gung ho or precocious, who skied a couple of blacks very neatly and in control (in Kitzbuhel, admittedly, but still), because conditions were pretty good and because I told him that if just skied as he had been doing, he'd be fine (and he believed me, oddly).

The daughter is in Le Corbier at the moment and pronounces it lacking in (on piste) challenge, so I imagine it has easy reds. Looks like quite a good area if that's what you want.
snow conditions
Another suggestion could be Schladming, IMO.

I went there for my third week ever of skiing (with a year between each week), and found no difficulty with any of the reds, was even getting down the blacks by the end of the week.
snow report
fizz,

IHMO Les Gets/Morzine both have great motorway reds. I've been skiing with a very nervous skier in Les Gets who couldn't get beyond blues previously but was happy to most of the reds in Les Gets. I agree that more lessons will also be the key and can thorughly recommend Pete or Esther at the British Ski School in Les Gets.
snow report
I'd agree with steph, and others. Morzine, Les Gets and Avoriaz have nice reds.
snow report
fizz, I forgot to mention that Kitzbuhel is generally an easy resort, conditions permitting. You can travel all around it on blues and easy reds, ans it has other charms.
snow report
Val Cenis and Valloire/Valmeinier =resorts where blues are greens amd reds are blues ,cheap easy etensive skiing great for cruising with decent up to date lifts and uncrowded pistes.
snow report
I would add scheffau to that list, mostly blues and reds in resort and most are easy on the
nerves and legs ( avoid the "home run" as the last bit 200 feet 45 degree & sharp left
just in front of the carpark in the space of a road will put you off

both of us ( me and the missus skied all over, and we have only 5 weeks on the piste)
snow conditions
fizz, Something to bear in mind about colour coding is the marketing strategies of the tourist board/resort owners. If a resort has too many of one type of piste, it loses its appeal and attracts only a certain grade of skier. So to cover themselves on all fronts, and attract the largest number of guests they can, they will divide the pistes usually to offer a certain % of blues, a larger amount of intermediate red runs (as this covers the largest percentage of skiers) and a smattering of blacks for the more advanced skiers. But that grading often don’t represent the reality of the runs. Some blues are blue because they are very wide and offer maximum turning space, yet may be steeper than a red... reds can be that colour not because they are steep, but because they are narrow and require skilled turning or are prone to moguls or ice. Blacks can be blacks because they are left un-pisted due to their location...and so on.

You also have to take into account that the map needs to appear to link similar graded pistes to each other, and the lifts...no point in a blue changing to a red, before you get to the bottom, (or the next lift to another blue) as no one wanting blues only, would even start on it. Call me a pessimist... but it never ceases to amaze me how having got to the bottom of a so called blue it was in fact harder than a previous red I had done, and visa versa, but it conveneintly fitted in well with the circuit!

So conditions of the snow, width, gradient, piste maintenance, undulation and location, all affect how easy (or not) a run is to ski, take the colour coding with a large pinch of salt, ask the locals, hotel owners, previous skiers to the resort...and see things with a marketing head on, then you wont be too shocked to find the map is more of a rough guide (unless there is a clear reason for the grading) rather than a bible to be followed faithfully... not that I do that either!!

I would agree with Cervinia for a vast amount of wide, open, reds, that in other resorts would be blues, (but then there would be too many blues on the map wink ) but the lift system is antiquated apart from the central lifts, so lots of bangs to the back of the knees, and head, and bruised arms, and they are every exposed in cold weather, but it makes for interesting conversations in the evenings, comparing injuries Shocked
latest report
fizz, having just come back, Livigno. Plenty of wide, cruisy reds and some more challenging stuff if you fancy it.
latest report
fizz,

Megeve..long and cruisey...
Soll and the skiwelt.
Schadming
St Luc
Sallbach
maybe Crans Montana, PDS..

Stay away from the BIG french resorts as those cruisey runs can be spolit by lots of skiers. Aviod most popular holiday times
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy