Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Helmet study

Poster: A snowHead
I am not saying you need to wear one I am not saying you shouldnt wear one just an intresting study

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5552
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was one of the anti until 3 years ago and besides when you are telling your child to wear one you really should set an example. I do not notice mine now and find it does keep my head warm without effecting hearing and vision. Would not ski without one now as was told tat mine actually saved me from serious head injuries
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, PLEASE, not another helmet thread. Skullie Skullie Skullie
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ineverusedtowearahelmetbutthenmymatesmatessister'shusbandbangedhishead....
and so on etc
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is not a thread mearly new information for snowHead to digest and consider Information is a powerfull weapon but then again ignorance is Bliss Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Perhaps a mod could move this to snownews and link to the primary source?

Ordhan, Thanks for posting this. I agree.

Hurtle, Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordhan, stoatsbrother, it is a thread! Or at least it will soon be turned into one. And, as perhaps you are implying stoatsbrother, the Ski Club report does not exactly impart much hard information. (Btw, I wear a helmet, but have probably rehearsed enough times my reasons for doing so.)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helmets are for little kids, not big rufty tufty Zen skiers and boarders. Also, seatbelts and airbags don't reduce injuries in car accidents, smoking doesn't cause lung cancer and it's perfectly safe to pour water on a chip pan fire.

There. How's that ? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
your choice its your head
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
People who don`t wear helmets are bad foolish people who will got to h*ll. People who do wear helmets are lovely and good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wear a helmet and confidently expect to go to heaven (hopefully not following a skiing accident).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I just studied my helmet, and can confirm that there is nothing new about it, apart from the wart on the end which has now sprouted a coarse black hair....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Much as I dislike helmet threads and have barely posted on one yet...live and let live and all that.

...but this Ski Club report really highlights what I most dislike about glib statistics... Joe Punter thinks he's 15% safer wearing a helmet... but he isn't, is he?

I would presume that this is 15% of incidents that had some head form impact ? In itself some smaller number of incidents on the slopes would relate to the head, I guess, compared to say wrist, hand, leg injurys. Also turn this around, it might imply that in 85% of cases, where some form of head impact occurred, the helmet did not prevent injury ( though it might have reduced the severity of injury...)

http://www.mindkicker.com/?p=80 this link gives more details...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18277163 - and this seems to link the orginal texts... where the decisive conclusion is "Helmets may provide some protection from head injury among skiers and snowboarders involved in falls or collisions"

ah, balls, I wish i hadn't gotten involved!

(I am a helmet wearer, btw)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie_S, er, quite.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LOL, I love a good helmet thread, I just can't suss out why there's anyone bothers arguing against them.

Richie, I am a helmet wearer too. I wish like with the smoking which I once enjoyed, I could maintain that happy feeling of immortality I had when I was in my teens and twenties but now that I'm an old git and more than ever enjoy hopping between patches of ice and rock amongst some of Scotland's finest mountains, or like ten days ago, dropping off a cornice at the back of Nevis or like last week finding fresh tracks amongst St Anton's finest routes, I actually feel safer with it on my head. As my experience has grown, I realise now that by far the biggest danger around me on piste isn't my own complacency but is the out of control pillock who could easily break my skull in an instant. And as my skiing continues to progress away from the piste to terrain where a fall doesn't neccessarily end in the security of snow, I feel less vulnerable with a helmet, not 15 % less vulnerable, just less vulnerable. Also it keeps my head warm, keeps the goggles ever-ready, is somewhere to attach my helmet camera and stops my ears getting skin cancer. NehNeh
ski holidays
Just been shopping, in heavy and sleety snow. My helmet kept my head dry in the street, and when I was waiting in the queue in the butchers, played me "Jauchzet Frohlocket" from Bach's Christmas Oratorio. It also kept me going earlier, in a totally deserted snowy landscape, across a four chairlift journey without one other single figure going in any direction, up or down, with the Scissors Sisters. Wouldn't be without it.
snow report
wear a helmet if you want to, if you don't want to then don't

i'm happy my own and my loved ones' arrangements around this subject

can we leave it at that....FOREVER
ski holidays
Richie_S, yes, it's hard to know exactly what way the stats go (e.g. 15% reduction of injury if you're in an accident, versus 15% reduction in injury if you're just on a mountain). The details aren't in the article.

In any case, it's hard to factor out the behavioural aspects: Are helmet wearers more cautious than average, and have fewer or slower crashes? Does wearing a helmet give people more confidence and make them go faster having more/faster crashes? etc.,

It would be funny to try to do something approaching a double blind study. Give a cohort of people "helmets" to wear. Except half the helmets are sabotaged so they give as much protection as a beanie. Neither experiment organisers nor users know who has good/bad helmets. Then look at accident/injury rates and see what happens.
Toofy Grin
I imagine it could be a bit tricky to get the ethical approval for that one snowHead
ski holidays
michaelc, its the only way to go to get an accurate study !
snow conditions
I got an email from Parlor today...I'll leave him to fill in the details (or not) but suffice to say he had a major stack "thanks god for full face helmets"

The prosecution rests m'lud.
ski holidays
Quote:
can we leave it at that....FOREVER

threads about helmets are less painful than threads about where to find guaranteed snow for Christmas within an hour of Geneva airport with a picturesque village and swinging apres.
latest report
pam w,
Quote:
where to find guaranteed snow for Christmas within an hour of Geneva airport with a picturesque village and swinging apres.

Where is this ? Confused wink Laughing
snow report
rungsp, yeah, but he's a telemarker and therefore needs something to stop himself from poking his eyes out with his ski tips NehNeh
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
where to find guaranteed snow for Christmas within an hour of Geneva airport with a picturesque village and swinging apres.

Could you also add in reasonably priced food & drink and a hot tub and i'm there!! Wink
snow conditions
Helmets are so 2007. In the coming season, the discerning skier is going to wear a stab vest.

You can't be too careful with all those Brits on cheap holidays.
snow report
horizon wrote:
Helmets are so 2007. In the coming season, the discerning skier is going to wear a stab vest.

I wish I was wearing one (stab vest) 3 days ago!!! My back still hurts whenever I move my arms... Sad

It wasn't a Brit on cheap holiday though, it was a tree. Shocked

Yes, I was wearing a helmet, and it did take the secondary impact in place of my head. But I was by then going slow enough it wouldn't have made much difference. My back took the full impact of the first hit. Fortunately I was not going all that fast. God I wish I was wearing a back protector. I'm still asking myself why I was not wearing one in the first place... Sad

Let the non-helmet wearers go to hell. And let those who think they can ski fast because they wear a helmet go to heaven afer they die from injury to their neck, spine or stomach!!! Only those who wear both helmet and flack jacket are smart enough to ski to their old age. Wink

How's that for helmet support? Puzzled
latest report
ski-finder wrote:
pam w wrote:

Could you also add in reasonably priced food & drink and a hot tub and i'm there!! Wink

Also French/Swiss charm BUT english ski school wink
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
ski-finder wrote:
pam w wrote:

Also French/Swiss charm BUT english ski school wink

No crowds either please especially in Feb.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon wrote:

Have a word with Harriet Harman. I hear she`s got one going cheap.
snow report
sorry its like motor bikers who dont wear there protective jackets n stuff, rolling eyes
they are stupid !!!!! has saved me many a time !!

suppose its like a form of Natural selection Laughing

there is no excuse as they are soo cheap
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
...swinging apres.

Why does every thread have to be about the E0SB? (Before Megamum starts to worry too much, you don't have to change partner every night, but most girls throw their room keys into the bowl anyway)
snow conditions
WTFH, look at many of the comments in this thread and ask yourself if irony is the most responsible course of action Toofy Grin
snow report
horizon, it's ok, I put my helmet on when I made the post.
snow conditions
If one researches the skiers' injuries and compare those who worn bacl protectors with those who didn't one also finds the back protector help to lower the back injuries too.

Should we all wear a back protector?

It is like comparing a sample of population who ski with those don't ski and concludes skiing is dangerous because there are more injuries in the first sample.
ski holidays
I've got a so called back protector that I use for horse riding - however unlike the ones frequently used for skiing or motorcycling this 'back protector' is more like a flack jacket and provides protection all around the torso overlapping and fastening with velcro at the sides and shoulders. As far as I see this is the usual form of jacket worn by horse riders. I'm surprised that the protectors used by skiers and motorcyclists only literally cover the back as I wouldn't have said of the three pursuits that horse riding was the most potentially dangerous. In fact I would consider a back protector for skiing if I found one cheap enough to afford - I should actually wear one: I wear my horse riding one every time I get on a horse due to breaking my back in a riding accident when I was about 20. I've fallen since whilst wearing it and it makes a fall 'easy' in comparison to tumbles I've previously taken without it.

The above brings me to an interesting point which I will post in a different thread.
ski holidays
Megamum, why can't you wear the horse riding back protector for skiing? I would think anything would help...

This is my first time falling in proximity of trees. Although I wasn't going very fast (probably running speed), the tree left some rather nasty bruises on my back! Sad I have a protective jacket for mountain biking. I think I'd look into wearing it while skiing. It's fairly comfortable (I can pedal a bike uphill wearing it) so it shouldn't affect my skiing negatively.

Skiing on piste, I still don't feel I NEED to even wear a helmet. Though I do because it's no more hassle than putting on a hat.

Skiing in the trees, I feel I could use all the protection I have. Many of the skiers I go into the trees with have horror story to tell of their own injuries. When I mountain bike, I wear lots of "plastic" over my body so very little is left to expose to rocks and trees. I can not reconcile why skiers skiing in similar enviornment as mountain bikers (trees and rocks) but at even higher speed don't see the need to do the same. Puzzled
snow conditions
abc, Unfortunately I think the horse riding protector may be a little too restrictive to ski in.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
it's no more hassle than putting on a hat

It's a heck of a lot more hassle trying to shove it in your pocket when you get too hot though rolling eyes Laughing .
latest report
abc,

Quote:
My back took the full impact of the first hit.

You were riding switch in the trees?! Respect to the mentalist! Cool Toofy Grin
snow report
maggi wrote:
abc wrote:
it's no more hassle than putting on a hat

It's a heck of a lot more hassle trying to shove it in your pocket when you get too hot though rolling eyes Laughing .

Totally agree. Smile

I've only had the helmet for one season so I'll still have to see how I fare in spring. To be honest, when I accidentally left the vents open, a whole lot of wind went right through. So I might actually be alright without worrying about over-heating.

The one time I hiked to earn my turns, I strapped the helmet to the backpack during the climbing part and only put it on my head when we started down.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy