Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A day out with the St Anton Powder Club

Poster: A snowHead
Vetski, I do not think anyone needs to go off piste on day 5, that is just silly.

But I do know a quite a few skiers who are very competent on nice groomed pistes and do very neat turns etc.and look good but they run a mile at the sight of a moguled black and would not attempt skiing at the side of the piste. likewise I know intermediate skiers who like more varied skiing but are not as technically good on piste. Of the two examples i consider the latter as being the better skier
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar wrote:
Kramer, Embarassed me waving as well.

OMG, and me!!!!!!!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer wrote:
stanton, achilles is actually quite an experienced and ballsy off piste skier.

It doesnt come across that way i.e Knackered, falling ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
stanton wrote:
As I said on another thread,

Piste Skiing makes for technically bad skiers

Rubbish!

So Bode Miller, Beni Riche etc etc are technically bad skiers Confused

NO

They are not recreational skiers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Wanna meet up? I'm in town. Must admit I do not keep as fit as I would like to. Having to assist a disabled member of the family and work rather restricts windows of opportunity during the day. One of the points of the opening post was that, somehow, I have to regain fitness. Where did you go to charm school?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles,
Quote:

Where did you go to charm school?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You've caused consternation in the other place, btw! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, agreed it would be silly. So one does need to spend some time developing technique on piste, then. Glad we're agreed about that. And it is possible to be technically good on piste. Good to know. And your idea of a good skier is someone who'll go anywhere, no matter how they do it. Interesting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops wrote:
I think Stanton is simply pointing out that off piste skiing needs many techniques and on piste skiing does not provide that, so technically it does not prepare you for many situations, it provides a singular technique and therefore a bad technique for all round skiing in all conditions and less piste bashing may result in better 'all round' skiers

Touting the names of the best skiers in the world does not really add or detract from his comments as these guys can ski anything

Chill

Thankyou , that is precisely what I mean & if you calculate the numbers of people who go on ski vacations to groomed piste resorts then the actual number of skiers who only have one skiing skill is immense. This also leads onto the many Speed & Accident threads on this Forum.

Ski resorts over the years have been trying to make it easier & easier for customers (Corduroy slopes every morning) to ski , this IMO is only a greedy commercial move & does not advance anyones skiing ability without investing in Ski Schools, Guides blah blah blah.

If they kept the the hill de-sanitised, you would learn yourself ( quickly).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
stanton wrote:
Kramer wrote:

Wanna meet up? I'm in town. Must admit I do not keep as fit as I would like to. Having to assist a disabled member of the family and work rather restricts windows of opportunity during the day. One of the points of the opening post was that, somehow, I have to regain fitness. Where did you go to charm school?

Charm School whats that ? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I understand your post & glad you mentioned fitness so others realise.

Were you skiing with the Kiwi, was he sober & playing in the Underground afterwards?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, thanks for the heads-up, I have dropped a line there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:
Kramer wrote:

I don't know how old you are, but he's almost twice my age, and skis everything that I do, and enjoys it. You'll never hear a word of complaint coming from him, which is more than I can say for myself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
achilles, my pleasure. Bottom line, from what you posted, is as I said on your other 'Shall I go?' thread (which developed quite interestingly, if you haven't seen it): the risk is finding oneself in a group that's too good (which was my problem) or not good enough (more likely to be your problem.) I too am unlikely to book another Freshtracks hol, but instead may do some Snoworks weeks or similar and, rather belatedly - to put it mildly! - learn how to ski. Alternatively, I shall come to terms with the fact that it really is too late and continue bimbling - to use another lovely word of yours - around the pistes with my mates. Where's that shoulder-shrugging smiley?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier, vetski, rob@rar, Hurtle, I count myself in that group as well.

The FEAR is your biggest enemy off piste, not technique, IMO.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Ski resorts over the years have been trying to make it easier & easier for customers (Corduroy slopes every morning) to ski , this IMO is only a greedy commercial move & does not advance anyones skiing ability without investing in Ski Schools, Guides blah blah blah.

Cross the pond!

It may be true the resorts in the Alps are "dumbing down" the terrain for skiing peeps, Ski resorts in N. America has for the past decade added more and more challenging off-piste areas while doing better and better job at grooming the pistes. Nowadays, any resort worth their powder in the US/Canada has extensive "glade areas" (trees!) in addition to the usual "bowls", "chutes" and moguls!

Don't just complain about what the ski resorts (in Europe) are doing. Do something about it! If the NA skiers can push the resorts into providing more diverse terrain, so can British & European skiers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
Quote:

Cross the pond!

It may be true the resorts in the Alps are "dumbing down" the terrain for skiing peeps, Ski resorts in N. America has for the past decade added more and more challenging off-piste areas while doing better and better job at grooming the pistes. Nowadays, any resort worth their powder in the US/Canada has extensive "glade areas" (trees!) in addition to the usual "bowls", "chutes" and moguls!

Don't just complain about what the ski resorts (in Europe) are doing. Do something about it! If the NA skiers can push the resorts into providing more diverse terrain, so can British & European skiers.

Just spent a month over there Very Happy

Trees in Europe? Tree line/glade skiing is becoming extinct here, we have lost most of ours to acid rain!
snow report
achilles,

Does the Arlberg Ski School provide guides or ski instructors for 80€ / day?
snow report
vetski wrote:
rayscoops, agreed it would be silly. So one does need to spend some time developing technique on piste, then. Glad we're agreed about that. And it is possible to be technically good on piste. Good to know. And your idea of a good skier is someone who'll go anywhere, no matter how they do it. Interesting.

No that is not my idea of a good skier, I am sinply pointing out that an intermediate who can ski on and off piste to that standard is better in my view than someone who can ski pistes at a better standard but is clueless when it gets 'interesting'. I know which of the two I would want to be on the mountain with. We seem to be in general agreement though
latest report
Kramer wrote:
stanton wrote:
Kramer wrote:

I don't know how old you are, but he's almost twice my age, and skis everything that I do, and enjoys it. You'll never hear a word of complaint coming from him, which is more than I can say for myself.

Kramer, you can see from the big grin on achilles face that he really enjoys his skiing. Good on him for writing such a great account of his day, warts and all.
snow conditions
DB,ski instructor on my day.
ski holidays
Achilles - did you need a snorkel where you are? - sounds like you did not need to pack one by the skiing you are doing.

Luckily no snorkel needed in Cham either, although the tumbles I had in the pow it might have come in useful.

I have never done an 'organised' day like the one you describe - I am probably not good enough to keep up and prefer to keep my face plants private Wink

As always we have drifted off topic, enjoy the rest of your skiing
snow report
rayscoops, powder coming up into my mouth this morning on one run. Not experienced that before, great fun. Not sure how deep the snow was, but we were sinking down to our knees when we stopped.

Just one more day's skiing this season, tomorrow. Crying or Very sad Going to make the most of it - plan is to wind up with all the groups at the Krazy Kangaruh snowHead
snow report
stanton wrote:
abc wrote:
Quote:

Cross the pond!

Just spent a month over there Very Happy

Trees in Europe? Tree line/glade skiing is becoming extinct here, we have lost most of ours to acid rain!
For a Flachlandtyroler you seem to be jolly expert about all things mountain rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy