Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hand luggage at LGW

Poster: A snowHead
BA have announced (to me anyway) that two items of hand baggage will be permitted on their flights from LGW (as well as from most other UK airports) from now on, rather than the current one item.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richmond,

When was this? It is April 1st you know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got that email as well. It's been two bags at LHR since the start of the year IIRC, so good that LGW has caught up. Anyone know if it is one bag or two at Luton?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Piece on the local news last night emphasised it was up to the airline and the airport operator how many take on bags you were allowed.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Acacia, I don't think that anyone would joke about hand luggage.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond, As far as I am aware, BAA are only allowing 1 item through LGW. Other BAA airports are different. The equipment at LGW is, apparantly, not up-to-date enough.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The e-mail reads:

Quote:
Following recent announcements by the UK Department for Transport, you may have heard that we have been given approval to a number of UK airports to remove the one-bag restriction on hand baggage.

Airports with a two-bag allowance

If you are departing or transferring from London Heathrow, London City, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle or London Gatwick airports you are able to carry two pieces of hand baggage through security. This means we are able to re-introduce our normal hand baggage allowance of:

• One bag no bigger than 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (22 inches x 17.5 inches x 9.85 inches) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
• In addition, one briefcase or laptop sized bag

A maximum hand baggage weight of 23kg applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.

There is no change on the restrictions on the quantity of liquids allowed through airport security.
Customers must ensure that all liquid containers do not exceed 100ml and are carried in a clear,
re-sealable plastic bag that can be easily closed.

Airports with a one-bag allowance

If you are departing or transferring from Jersey or Newquay airports, the one-bag allowance remains in place. These airports are expected to remove restrictions in a phased approach in line with the Department for Transport's guidelines. We will update you as soon as there is any change to the hand-baggage allowance at these airports.

Other UK airports not served by British Airways

If you are flying from or transferring through other UK airports not mentioned above, you should check with the airline or airport operator before travelling. This includes when flying from another UK airport and transferring through London Heathrow.

For further information on our hand baggage allowance, please visit ba.com. Thank you for flying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm regards,

Sarah Keyes
Executive Club Manager

Looks like it's a BAA change which will actually allow one to take two bags on at LGW. Last week BA's website was limiting passengers at LGW to one piece. The removal on the restriction on the ttal vol of liquid is new, too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm flying Easyjet from Luton next weekend---and was told we CAN take skiboots in handluggage!
(by an EJ employee on phone..2nd time I rang!) Very Happy
But don't want to derail this thread-- just saw the title and felt cheered by the prospect of not filling my anorak pockets with stuff which would normally be in my handbag...
But IS it a fact-- 2 pieces of handluggage are allowed???!!!
I'm going to call EJet tomorrow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As these restrictions were introduced as a result of 'intelligence received' about possible terrorist activities do we assume that there is no longer any risk or the risk is lessened or more probably it was a dis-proportionate knee jerk reaction at the time and now there is a slow return to 'normal' and no-one loses face rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richmond wrote:

There is no change on the restrictions on the quantity of liquids allowed through airport security.
Customers must ensure that all liquid containers do not exceed 100ml and are carried in a clear,

Quote:
The removal on the restriction on the ttal vol of liquid is new, too.

what removal on vol of liquid?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
As these restrictions were introduced as a result of 'intelligence received' about possible terrorist activities do we assume that there is no longer any risk or the risk is lessened or more probably it was a dis-proportionate knee jerk reaction at the time and now there is a slow return to 'normal' and no-one loses face rolling eyes

No, I think it means that the airports concerned have upgraded their scanning equipment. Not only are you allowed 2 items of hand luggage at LHR but you no longer need to remove laptops from your bag any more. The ban on two items was, AIUI, at the request of the airports who couldn't cope with the volume of baggage at the high levels of security that the Government required. BAA and some of the other airport operators are, at last, investing in more security kit & people and that means more hand luggage can be taken through.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
richmond wrote:

Quote:
The removal on the restriction on the total vol of liquid is new, too.

what removal on vol of liquid?

Last week at LGW we were only allowed one plastic bag (supplied at the airport) for liquids. This obviously amounted to a restriction, albeit an unspecific one. That restriction is no longer mentioned, but I may have been too optimistic in assuming that it had been removed (not that I feel a great need to carry lots of 100ml bottles onto 'planes).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, it certanly looks as if it may be the case.
Julieanne, save the phone call, the easyJet website states (link not working, but search under hand baggage and you'll come up with the following):
Quote:

Question
What's my hand baggage allowance?

Answer
Please note that easyJet hand baggage regulations state that passengers are allowed to take onboard one piece of hand baggage. Although restrictions are being relaxed at some UK airports, easyJet will not consider changing its hand baggage policy until the rules and procedures at the majority of UK airports become clearer and more consistent.

Passengers can take one standard piece of hand baggage to a volume limit of 55x40x20cm; no weight restriction applies within reasonable limits — i.e. you must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle, thanks for that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, I'm not saying, of course, that you won't get on with more than one bag... just that you're not meant to Laughing
snow report
Michelle, Thanks! Laughing So best take one handluggage (with skiboots in!), and pockets stuffed full of everything else--yet again.. rolling eyes
PS If you spot a female looking like the Michelin Man, boarding an EJ flight with heavy handluggage --that's me! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy