Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Injuries

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Serre Che early JAn. and an earlier post about trying to persuade people to wear helmets got me thinking, how common are skiing injuries?

I mean, i myself have been for 3 weeks, and my injuries have got "funnier" each time i have gone:

Week 1: Complete newibe as i was, was concentrating so hard on step turning down the slope that i failed to see i was on collision course to a french lady about the same level. Needless to say, we collided, and i ended up ski-less, on my back, sliding down the slope headfirst, she was rather stationary. She had to have a blood waggon called for her, i have never felt so guilty, and saying "Je suis tres desolee" wasnt really cutting it!

Week 2: Getting confident now, so attempted a step-up jump underneath a lift in courcheval (about 8 foot up from take off to landing). Nearly nailed it the first time, so had a second go, and plowed straight into a snow wall. I couldnt walk properly for two weeks, and didnt ski on the last day of that holiday.

Week 3: Only injury sustained, despite numerous forest runs, and hours in the park was falling over (albeit very intoxicated) on an icy La Plagne street - i still have the scar.

My friends however have suffered, back injurys, 2 dislocated shoulders, and heavy bruising. Seems i have come off lightly! I am wondering what injury i might come back with this time!

Rich
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The bruised wallet, quite probably, so pad it heavily.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, i think we got quite a bargain actually! We dont go out to pubs or restaurants, as we are just there to ski!

Rich
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like the dreaded trip on the airplane steps, to me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
magicrichard, see this post that I contributed on a previous thread.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
magicrichard, enjoy your trip to Serre Che, where you staying?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
last year it was my first time skiing.

was messing about b4 i'd had a lesson, twisted my ankle,

lost a days skiing.... damn, i was sog gutted
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magicrichard, please take this the right way, but would you mind posting all ski plans you have so I can make sure I avoid your immediate vicinity? Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magicrichard, any relation to Masque, who also has a colourful selection of tales to tell about his injuries ?? Mind you he's downgraded to electrocution and slipping Stanley knives recently. Got to get his dose of pain somehow. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No bites this trip (nearly got one when I didn't realise that the sparks boxes were divided unequally between the two floors). The gaffa-tape worked on the finger end and I got away without stitches (no nerve damage either!), The two piece fingernail makes me a bit nauseous when I catch it on some thing.
Then there’s the acid and alkali burns, but that’s another story. Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, nice post, interesting reading. Seems that I am the cause of most of my injuries, and should try to avoid myself at all costs.

Helen, We are staying in L'Alpaga Apartments (Pierre Et Vacances) in Villeneuve - hope they are ok! We have never been to Serre before, looking forward to it!

David_Murdoch, Absolutely no offence taken, as said earlier, i would try to avoid myself as well!

fezza, twisted ankle - that has to be so unfortunate, since it must be virtually impossible to do that once you you have your foot in a ski boot!

Im currently sporting an unidentified injury, the doctors think it might be a defuse inflammation of the elbow, all i know is that it hurts and i have no idea how i did it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
magicrichard, I've injured myself twice during my 50+ weeeks skiing, neither done on the piste, and both practically identical. First time skiing down an ice covered road after copious beer, fell on my elbow and ended up with an enormous bruise from forearm up to bicep that lasted 3 months. Second jumped off an upper storey at a disco, missed the floor and went down a set of stairs, obviously alcohol involved. Same injury!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magicrichard, I think you've been unlucky! I've been ski-ing all my life and injuries are basically overuse/cartilidge injury to left knee; Pulled ligaments and tendons under the arches of my feet; broken jaw (someone else's fault entirely) and a (permanently) sore shoulder from carrying my skis. I don't count the sundry bone spurs etc on my feet at the end of the season and I've only not been able to ski off the mountain for the jaw incident.
ski-ing is relatively safe! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magicrichard wrote:

fezza, twisted ankle - that has to be so unfortunate, since it must be virtually impossible to do that once you you have your foot in a ski boot!

well what happend, ski stayed on as i was going slow, i tried to turn n i fell over, ski dint move, i rolled over.

ouch!

edit : just asked mum, aparently it was my knee i hurt

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 8-12-04 23:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
2002/2003 season I crashed off-piste and ended up wrecking my shoulder. £500 on physio and consultants and 18 months later (plus whatever the insurer paid to the trauma clinic) it's still not right. I have a constant ache and limited movement (because of sharp pains at certain positions) in it, and couldn't lift even a cup of tea with my right arm for a few weeks. I had a day out of skiing, got bored, so skied the last two days of my holiday. Had a right bollocking off my GP when I got home. Ironically, the night before I was talking to friends about skiing and saying that I was bored of it. Duh. The crash has certainly changed my view of that.

Other injuries include a broken rib (on a baby's dummy that I was wearing), and broken nose, a black eye, a couple of trivial sprains, and the odd thumb strain from Pontypool's dry slope. It's a great sport.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy