Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis on the trampoline?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just got a trampoline in my garden and im a freestyle skier, was just wondering if people thought you could bounce on your skis on the trampoline to practice some moves? or if i would just break my skis? sounds ridiculous i know but i havent been skiing in ages and just want to get the feeling of spinning on skis back before i go next.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought April Fools should be before mid-day wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spent some time with the old Citreon freestyle ski team, who used to do the rounds dazzling the crowds - they indeed used to train on trampolines, nd demonstrated their skills on these before doing aerials off a small slope.....the British guy used to be pretty good, think he was called Richard Crosbie or something - I am sure someone will be along soon to correct me
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
James_130, just try it and let us know (most hospitals have internet access).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I remember seeing a documentary about freestyle skiers. The two Brits on it both came from a trampolining back ground and used it as part of their training
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
James_130, are you related to Oliver?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond wrote:
James_130, just try it and let us know (most hospitals have internet access).

Haha, i'm not too worried about hurting myself just about damaging my skis!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
James_130, are you related to Oliver?

Oliver? not to my knowledge, why do you ask?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This reminds me of a book which contained spoof letters. One of the letters was a request to a sports club. The author asked if he could use the squash courts as a place to test his golf swing. He said it was perfectly safe as he would be wearing a safety helmet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trampolines seem to be quite a common training method for freestyle skiers; the idea being that you can practice and get the basics of new stuff on them without causing yourself serious damage when you get it wrong. I always presumed you did it without skis though rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah, i knew that people used them without skis for training, but i just wanted to use it with skis, because i can do stuff on my trampoline i wouldnt dream of on my skis (double backflips etc). Do you think it could bend my skis too much when i bounce?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would the skis not teart he material on the trampoline Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm sure that many years ago I saw a documentary about a promising young British freestyle skier who practiced on a trampoline. He had an accident and became a paraplegic by landing akwardly on his head during practice..Morbid, but I'm sure I'm correct.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mjr, I'm pretty certain you are correct, the risks of damage to both the freestylers body and their trampoline by using skis have to be pretty high
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm sure I've seen it done somewhere and the skis were wrapped in duct tape to stop the edges cutting the trampoline. Not sure though.
latest report
James_130,
Quote:

See here
ski holidays
mjr wrote:
I'm sure that many years ago I saw a documentary about a promising young British freestyle skier who practiced on a trampoline. He had an accident and became a paraplegic by landing akwardly on his head during practice..Morbid, but I'm sure I'm correct.

You are correct and are probably thinking about Mike Nemesvary (I think the spelling is correct) who in fact became a quadraplegic as a result of that trampoline accident about fifteen years ago.
snow conditions
Found this on Mike Nemesvary Crying or Very sad

Quote:
A Fork in the Road
It was a warm, sunny spring day when Mike Nemesvary and some friends set up his trampoline on the grass in the garden. It was a good way to practice moves during the off-season.

"Everything was fine until I lost my orientation to the ground in the middle of a back somersault," Mike recalls. He came down hard, with his neck smacking the bed of the trampoline. "I was calm, but scared. I wasn't in pain, but rather, I felt a warm tingling go through my body." As his friends ran to his aid, Mike realized he couldn't move. He had broken his neck at the fourth and fifth cervical.

For a decade, Mike Nemesvary was a world-class athlete in the exciting sport of freestyle skiing. He ranked number three in the world, having won 11 Canadian and five British titles and three World Cup events. He worked as a stuntman in a James Bond movie. It was a great life, full of travel, media attention and social status.

In a split second, his life was changed forever, as it does for more than 1,000 Canadians each year who sustain a spinal cord injury. He will never walk again and has only limited use of his hands and arms. He had reached a fork in the road of life.

He was, in a strange way, fortunate. The same personal qualities that had made him a successful athlete --- a positive attitude, competitive spirit, intense focus, tenacity and being very goal-oriented -- enabled him to face his new life successfully. He started his own business giving seminars across the country, and worked as the Education Coordinator for The Rehabilitation Centre in Ottawa.

He soon realized that, although his life would never be the same, technology enabled him to do more than most people would believe possible.

He put plans in motion to become the first quadriplegic to drive around the world. Locating corporate sponsors and organizing a team of supporters, Mike created 'Round the World Challenge. The trip would demonstrate how enabling technologies could empower people with disabilities as well as raise money for spinal cord rehabilitation and research.

The Road Least Travelled
Imagine driving around the world -- a trip of more than 40,000 kilometres! Travelling through 20 countries, each with there own cultures, laws and driving styles, often on unpaved roads, and trying to keep on schedule. Now imagine doing it all driving from a wheelchair in a heavily modified vehicle. That was part of the challenge that faced Mike.

Leaving Ottawa on March 20, 2001, the 'Round the World Challenge story was followed by the media in Canada and worldwide during the long months ahead.

Mike did all of the driving himself in a specially equipped truck that he still drives every day. It symbolizes the kind of technology that empowers the disabled and made the trip possible. His electric powered wheelchair provides another degree of freedom.

"Travelling worldwide by vehicle is not easy for anyone," Mike admits. "Long hours at the wheel -- driving from my wheelchair -- really tested my concentration, stamina and physical endurance."

During the grueling trip, he raised over $1 million and provided a living example of the incredible accomplishments that can be achieved by people with even severe disabilities. "In countries like Iran, Pakistan and India, a high-level spinal cord injury is a death sentence. People don't survive because too often, medical facilities don't have the equipment or the knowledge base to deal with such injuries. Those who do survive, are bed-ridden for the rest of their lives or end up using skateboards or shopping carts to get around, propelling themselves with their hands."

It was an eye-opening experience to see the reactions of the people in such countries. "I was deeply touched to see them being fascinated by me…a quadriplegic, driving this big truck and using an electric powered wheelchair to move around effortlessly. Many had never seen such technology."

The "Challenge" culminated on October 23, 2001 with a triumphant return to Parliament Hill in Ottawa, which included a warm welcome home from the Government of Canada, hundreds of well wishers and national media. By all accounts, 'Round the World Challenge was a huge success!

The Drive Continues...
'Round the World Challenge needs your help to reach a new destination. In Canada alone there are about 35,000 Canadians with spinal cord injuries and every year more than 1,000 additional injuries occur.

Our new drive is no longer around the world. It is a funding drive. The heart of this new drive is shown clearly in our new mission statement:

Driving to raise international awareness and funds for enabling technologies, which will improve freedom, independence and acceptance for people with disabilities.

We are proud of the personal qualities that enabled Mike and 'Round the World Challenge to achieve our first goal. Drive, determination, a refusal to quit or make concessions, loyalty and compassion, all played a major role. Those same qualities are now being applied to raise funds and awareness through a variety of projects.

We are going to raise $10 million for an endowment. Money will come, in part, through corporate sponsorships, book and video sales, special events and other activities we have planned, but individual donations are still the most important component. We need you to push us along this new road.

http://www.roundtheworldchallenge.ca/challenge/challenge.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2000/mar/04/nevertravelwithout.travellingwithdisabilities.disability
ski holidays
I've seen a guy on skis on a trampoline at a ski show in Dublin and only last night there was a show about an American girl taking up freestyle snowboarding and I saw them on a trampoline. I've a trampoline at home but my skis are longer than it so it mightn't work, but there is a bigger one in the neighbours garden.....
ski holidays
Just a thought, but would wearing blades (or snowboards or whatever you want to call them) be a possibility? Shorter than skis so less likely to get tangled up and potentially cause injury, but still got some length beyond the foot to give some of the correct feelings.

As I can't even do a single backflip on a trampoline Crying or Very sad let alone double ones like James_130 I won't be tempting fate by testing out this theory myself.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
James_130,
Quote:

See here

your link just brought the thread up again?
ski holidays
James_130, Oops. so sorry
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/4hQig12fqAk&feature=related

Looks like a bit of a DIY job but looks like the 'skis' survived!
ski holidays
Guvnor,You mean Richard Cobbing - Crosbie was an irish gent wink Cobbing started out as a trampolinist then was asked to move to ariel skiing IIRC
snow report
Bones, That'll be the fella - must be at least 15 years ago - there was him and a couple of French Canadian fells - they were pretty much the top three in the world at the time....they used to trawl round ski shows and the like, sponsored by Citreon at the time. And they used to wear their skis on a trampoline....
snow report
Pretty sure some of the Scottish Bumps/Freestyle team used to practise on a trampoline. Tape up the edges of the skis though to avoid damage to the trampoline (damage to skis shouldn't be a worry, if you're going to be jibbing you'll put them through as much stress on the snow...
latest report
Bones, most of the aerial guys had a trampolining or diving background. I've been tempted to tape up the edges on my board and have a go but I'd only do it in the rig and I'm not sure the club would be too happy!

Imagine what this guy can do
http://youtube.com/v/RUKxATE5NMU&feature=related to be honest you have to watch it at this speed, full speed is
http://youtube.com/v/RRqNekfVb_c but it's almost impossible (unless you're experienced) to see what he's doing.
snow conditions
please dont do it

my sis knows Mike well - ruined his life - despite how well he has done since he'd still rather it nevva happnd
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey Guys. We have a product I think you may be interested in. We are proud to announce the new TRAMPOLINE SKIS by bounce board available for purchase now at www.mountaincultures.com

http://www.mountaincultures.com/buy/hardgoods/skiing/trampoline-skis/bounceboard-trampoline-skis.html

You can also place orders over the phone at 888-367-9566

Cheers

Jay
snow report
the_mfic wrote:
please dont do it

my sis knows Mike well - ruined his life - despite how well he has done since he'd still rather it nevva happnd

I definitely wouldn't do it fella. Not with ski's on anyway!

Tanner Hall and crew all use trampoline training but its done under strict conditions with plenty of people helping out with extra cushions/padding etc. Much safer.
snow report
I saw a demo at the NEC ski show a couple of years ago of practice in skis on a trampoline.
snow conditions
Mountaincultures wrote:
Hey Guys. We have a product I think you may be interested in. We are proud to announce the new TRAMPOLINE SKIS by bounce board available for purchase now at www.mountaincultures.com

http://www.mountaincultures.com/buy/hardgoods/skiing/trampoline-skis/bounceboard-trampoline-skis.html

You can also place orders over the phone at 888-367-9566

Cheers

Jay

Haha, that's a great invention, for a Be Nice please! 2 year old. There is absolutely NO point in using these, when you ski you don't use skis shorter than your foot, it literally will be of no benefit.
latest report
Quote:

Mike Nemesvary (I think the spelling is correct) who in fact became a quadraplegic as a result of that trampoline accident about fifteen years ago

Isn't this just an inherent risk of doing backflips and the like? It seems like it could just as easily have happened on the snow.

(I know nothing about backflips, trampolining, freestyle skiing and indeed many other topics)
snow report
All the freestyle/freeskiers practice on trampolines. Try the tricks first without skis or boards then when you can do them well with skis. Skis need to be taped so the edges don't damage the bed. Best done on a full size trampoline in a harness to the ceiling. We used to have this set-up in Edinburgh inside a large boat shed. Need to have lots of protection round the trampoline and people placed round to stop you bouncing off. Small garden trampolines will have limited use. Once they can do tricks on the trampoline the skiers then practice on a water ramp, then finally on snow. Unfortunately the British water ramp at Sheffield was not maintained and was filled in a few years ago.
snow report
i've used it with a snowboard before now, but you'll need something shorter that you can attach without ya big clunky ski boots Wink

every freestyle snowboard camp i've been on has used trampolines in one aspect of another, even just bouncing flipping, spinning without your choosen method of transport attached to your feet is great fitness and balance and when you start doing more than just going up and down in a straight line your spacial (sp?) awareness will increase quite rapidly.
snow report
Did anyone see the Skipass programme on Eurosport over the weekend?
The article on L. Vonn showed her attending the US Ski Team Ball in NY where there were two guys doing a routine in ski's on a couple of trampolines.
Not sure about the damage question though Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy