Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmets and daughters!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Scud - book a trip to somewhere they're compulsory for kids - maybe a good excuse to head across the pond wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski wrote:
ise, I don't KNOW that it will put off nervous clients, but I suspect it would. There I am trying to persuade them that ski-ing is safe, and I'm wearing a crash helmet - it would sort of destroy the message! When wearing helmets is more common in Europe I would definitely wear one. The hard core all wear them though don't they? Cool

I find it really amusing, I recall turning up on the office ski trip a couple of years back with a snowboard and a helmet and everyone saying it was too hardcore and expecting me to leap of the nearest cliff.

Whereas you're stood there with it on and feel a slight wuss at least at first Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wear a helmet, and I really don't care what other people think - I have one friend who teases me about it because she thinks I look stupid in it, but then I think she looks stupid in her hat - I just don't tell her! Most of the people whose opinions I value wear helmets too - they are the ones who have been skiing for 30 or 40 years (although they do tease me about the colour of my helmet - it's the only brown one on the mountain) and some of them do leap off the nearest cliff at every opportunity. And anyway, I'm more bothered about my skiing ability than by my appearence, and isn't that what it's all about anyway? Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My daughter is four and will go skiing for the first time this winter (although she has done plenty of skiing holidays in daycare) and will wear a helmet, but only if I do, so God help me when she is a teenager. So I have bought a nice black number which actually looks ok.

What I want to ask is how do you stop getting a "sun" mark round the top of your face with the helmet on all day?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What I want to ask is how do you stop getting a "sun" mark round the top of your face with the helmet on all day?

I've never had a problem, but I do use factor 50 suncream! And when I wear goggles there isn't much room between the top of them and my helmet, anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
austin7, ot Italy (though I'm not sure on the ages there).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Helmets dont look cool, they never will...

I think it's a case of getting used to helmets - Earlier this year we went skiing in France (3 valleys) where Mr Snowy was about the only person in the resort wearing a helmet. He did "use" his helmet once of twice though so it wasn't a waste of effort using it.

A few weeks after the French trip, we went to Whistler where more people were wearing helmets than not. That compares to spring 2003 at Whistler where perhaps 20-30% of people were wearing helmets.

Most of the skiers on black runs wore helmets so wearing one make you look like you knew what you were doing. I think it was the vast number of people wearing them that encouraged me to buy a helmet (as well as the tree skiing I was doing a lot of!).

Hence I think helmets are a state of mind. You don't feel odd wearing one if everone else is wearing one too.

Perhaps Europe will catch up with Whistler soon and no one will fear looking the odd-one-out in a helmet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and who knows maybe the insurance companies will catch on "not wearing a helmet,sorry sir insurance invalid".but maybe not for a few more years
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I started wearing a helmet last season and was often the "odd one out". But then, who cares? All it takes is the one time that you need it and it justifies all the time when you don't. A friend started wearing a helmet at the same time as me - after 6 weeks or so he crashed (on his own, on an empty piste) and bashed his head. He was on the verge of blacking-out despite wearing a helmet. He is just pleased that the helmet has paid for itself (I'm not so sure I want to test mine so thoroughly tho).
I think Mistermouse is probably right - give it time and insurance will become "conditioned" for non helmet-wearers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scud, I don't know if it's already been said, but I wear mine (in resort) in case someone else runs in to me. In 25 years' skiing I've yet to hit a tree (though I have clunked my head on hard-pack a few times) but I have been hit by other skiers.

A helmet simply mitigates the risk of serious injury. It may not protect the wearer in a particularly harsh accident, but those are few and far between for the majority of us.

At Tamworth last week a snowboarding instructor (a very lovely one at that) was bent over unclipping her boots when she was hit sideways across the head by an OOC (beginner) skier. She was quite literally bowled over. I imagine she took a bit of a thump, though it could have been worse. It's that sort of thing that bothers me, particularly with resorts getting busier these days, and the quite extensive lack of care and consideration demonstrated by many piste users.

I don't have any stats. to support helmet use, and this topic rages on in cycling news groups, but my view is that wearing a helmet certainly offers some protection against impact simply because its't another few layers between a rock and a hard place. When I'm out MTBing I use the helmet to deflect bits of tree and bramble, rather than getting such things caught in my lovely ginger locks.

Strange, calling you "Scud", considering that while you site about ten feet from me at work I have all sorts of other names for you. Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy