Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow report 31st March 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Hucking cliffs with Uncle Albert
A slightly different format to the weather report this week as the weatherHead is pleased to observe that there's nothing like a good dump of snow to persuade snowHeads to get their cameras out and start posing, meaning that there are loads of great pictures on the site this week, and a larger than usual selection in this weeks snow report. The weatherHead finds this a relief as the recent combination of huge snowfall and cold temperatures on both sides of the Atlantic has lead to excellent powder skiing conditions and huge fun all round and there's only so many ways of describing good snow... In Canada it looks as if it is going to remain cold with more heavy snowfall, in the Alps freezing levels are rising, with freeze thaw conditions prevalent for the past few days, however the sheer volume of recent snowfall should mean that decent conditions should prevail for some time yet.
'Easy' gully in Scotland
Scotland continues to have an epic season.

Swiss powder fun
The Canadian resorts are also reporting good ongoing conditions with plenty of new snow in Whistler, Sunshine Village, and Fernie. The weatherHead is sad to report that there are no up to date reports from America this week.

In Switzerland warm weather has meant that the snow falling on lower slopes has melted quite quickly,
La Ros under a deluge of snow
however conditions at alttitude on piste remain good, and look to do so for some weeks to come. Verbier is in excellent nick, and looks set to remain so for some time. Laax retains good cover, although is slightly crusty from the freeze thaw conditions. Gstaad has excellent cover, with more new snow falling, although the resort is starting to wind down for the end of the season. Zermatt also benefited from the new snow.

Unfortunately, up to date reports from Austria are a little thin on the ground this week, unlike the snow!
La Tania looking very picturesque

At the time of writing, most of the Pyrenees are benefiting from continued heavy snowfall at all altitudes.

As ever, most of our reports come from France this week. Montalbert La Plagne, and Les Arcs both have "oodles" of snow, whereas The Three Valleys has "stacks", with more on the way.
Earn those turns in Courchevel'
In Tignes things are excellent, with more snow possibly on the way from Les Deux Alpes where it's been dumping down all day, although a little slushy at resort level.
An 'interesting' traverse in Charvet
Conditions in La Rosiere are, of course, outstanding with all the recent snowfall. The off piste in Chamonix is in brilliant condition, although the avalanche risk remains high. Les Gets was a little slushy yesterday, but fortunately has had more new snow today. Things are also good in Serre Chevalier.

Discussion as to what the future may hold continues here.
Deep snow in the trees at Cerler

As always thanks to all those who've contributed pictures and snow reports, we couldn't do it without you. Any queries or corrections please feel free to start a thread in Snow Reports or PM the weatherHead. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
weatherHead, I'm sure I speak on behalf of the congregation in thanking you for taking the time and trouble to compile that report. It continues a long tradition of 'weekly snow round-ups' which I think were started by the Sunday Times about 20 years ago, but aren't normally illustrated. People who don't follow the daily trends in snowfall find them genuinely useful.

The photos aren't credited - they're really nice shots. Who are the various photographers?

-------------
"Everywhere I go I take my head with me." Louis XVI
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
The photos aren't credited - they're really nice shots. Who are the various photographers?

Various people who have posted photos in their snow reports on snowHeads over the last week or two. A quick trawl through the snow reports section would find them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rob, I was merely suggesting something that's quite normal. The photos are being put to secondary commercial use (they're also included in the weatherHead newsletter, which is emailed to thousands of people to draw them back to the site). Credits are a universal tradition in publishing.

From clicking on the shots' properties, one appears to be La Tania and another is one of the Scottish mountains, but the photos themselves don't suggest where to look in the snow reports section.

I'd simply sum them up, from top to bottom, indicating the location and the photographer.

I see you've included a credit to a 'luxury apartment in Les Arcs'!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
weatherHead, Whoever you may be, my thanks for an excellent and informative article.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, generally, clicking through on each picture should link to the snow report that it came from, and then there's an alternative tag describing what the picture shows. The picturesque one of La Tania was taken by spyderjon and for some reason I didn't link it to his post. Embarassed

I generally try and use the ones that are hosted on the snowMedia zone, but if not then I now link to the site that they're hosted on. If it's from a commercial site then I try and credit them, although it's not always obvious in the snow reports section. I'm still a relative newcomer to this, so if there are problems with links not working or the like then please PM me and let me know. Point taken about clearer credits though.

As mentioned in the weatherHead thread, I try and make it entirely from our own information and snow reports, and so I can only work with the information that I have available to me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, A double click on the photo takes you to the thread in which it was originally posted. Rest your mouse pointer on the photo and a title appears, although weatherHead does appear to be a little confused as a shot from taken in La Plagne is titled Hucking cliffs with Uncle Albert whilst most of the others are titled with the location Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
weatherHead, fair enough. Here are the 8 URLs of the shots, from top to bottom. Maybe we can identify the locations and photographers:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/users/862/P3252739.jpg
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/6030-1/005.jpg
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/users/1431/IMG_1840.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e291/ollski/powder2.jpg
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/users/626/la_tania_pic.jpg
http://bp1.blogger.com/_Z_N_mhd4mY8/R-_bKp1mu9I/AAAAAAAAAb4/uwhrVkIutOw/s320/Image014.jpg
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/536/medium/Vald_I_08_3.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/7930/192768mh9.jpg

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-04-08 11:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, that was just my little joke. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
weatherHead, It's Uncle Giles actually, AKA ex FIS racer and Extreme Skier of this parish wink Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, didn't really rate him myself. wink Laughing

Actually he was very nearly the first person to get two pictures in the same snow report this week. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
weatherHead, Despite David Goldsmith, campaigning on everyone else's behalf - his intervention is totally and absolutely unnecessary and unrequited.

I understood and accepted that you are totally entitled to continue to use all of my photos. In the unlikely event that you can identify my real name you are absolutely and totally not entitled to divulge it to David Goldsmith, or anyone else nor publically 'accredit me' for my holiday snaps. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, His head is getting bigger as we speak.....MAKE THE DOORS WIDER IN l'ABREV
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Which one are we talking about? There's quite a few tasty skiers in this weeks snow report. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Rob, I was merely suggesting something that's quite normal. The photos are being put to secondary commercial use (they're also included in the weatherHead newsletter, which is emailed to thousands of people to draw them back to the site). Credits are a universal tradition in publishing.

Maybe. Just out of interest, how many uncredited photos appear in your posts on this website?
ski holidays
Oops, here we go again. So long as weatherHead doesn't get put off - s/he is doing a fantastic job.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
...ex FIS racer...

Don't you start as well! Wink Laughing
latest report
Add my thanks to this - the weatherHead reports are brilliant and long may they continue!! Very Happy
snow report
Kramer, The cliff jump above Plagne cente at Aime 200.....
snow report
Yup, it's always good to see these reports, especially when one of my photos appears (for which no attribution is required Wink)
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Just out of interest, how many uncredited photos appear in your posts on this website?

Taking your question in its present/recent tense: none. Taking it in the past tense: quite a few
I made quite a few omissions in terms of crediting in the past, regrettably.
ski holidays
weatherHead, nice post, but perhaps in interests of equality amongst snowHeads there should be more information on piste conditions in North London for those who no longer ski wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy