Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot shim slight pain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had some ankle shims put on my boot liners recently. This was on the left foot to sort some heel lift. I also had the right boot liner done to even things out otherwise I would have one tight boot and one loose boot that would pack out earlier.
Couple of things:

1. Worried that this may have changed the alignment slightly as I felt like I might have been on one edge more when I last skied them. Could have just been me worrying about it but going in a straight line felt odd as I ciouldn't keep the skis as close together as I used to. Could a shim cause this?
2. The right foot now has some slight ankle pain on the left side ankle of the right foot. Does this mean I can't flex my ankle region as much in the boot? Would I need to? Any advice to solve this, e.g. by shaving down the shim a bit?
3. On some steeper slopes, with heavier snow/crud, and if I get chatter in the ski, I still feel some foot movement on the left boot. Is this normal when the ski is chattery or juddery?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anyone... anyone Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only comment I can come up with is to wonder whether perhaps you worry too much about your boots, which isn't very helpful.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're sticking shims to your liners to reduce volume but you're still moving the foot inside the boot I wonder whether your boots are just too big for you, or whether the liners have compressed beyond their useful life. Perhaps new boots or new liners will sort you out? Trip to a good bootfitter is recommended.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman,
1. Probably. See a good fitter/alignment guy - not S&R
2. Dunno. See a good fitter/alignment guy - not S&R
3. Boots are too big. See a good fitter/alignment guy - not S&R - & take your credit card.

In a previous thread ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36756&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ) you stated that you're shell gaps are at least 20/25mm & the concensus was that your boots were too big. You were recommended to bite the bullet & change them as you're throwing good money/time after bad. This is what happens when you're trying to get a too big a shell to start with to work rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have had some volume fillers put in and the shims taken off so I can try them out for the final weekend then I'm going to get something in the sale and fitted properly.
The guy at the store told me that I could probably go a half size to 1 smaller, and get a boot suited for a thinner foot, and a bit stiffer as my performance level is higher now.
How much is a half-1 size smaller ? Is this shell cm or a boot measurement?

I've only had these 4 years, I don't think they would have compressed that much ?
Probably only about 30 days use.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, I'd be concerned about the limited choice of makes/models available in the sale & the shop punting you what they want shut of, but that's just cynical old me. I'd recommend choosing your fitter very carefully & I'd want to know exactly what shell gap the fitter was proposing as it's up to you to decide on the balance of performance/tightness that you want. Going from a 25mm gap to a 15mm gap will seem great initially but if you're skiing regularly (as you are) & your ability's increasing (which it is) then you'll soon be having the same problem again - I know as I've done the exact same thing myself.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy