Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bumps on flat runs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

So something has been puzzling me, I've heard a few theories but would like to hear a few more!

Why do very flat runs tend to develop bumps(like sleeping policemen) very close together, making the slope into a sort of seascape?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magicrichard, good question!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Let's have the theories you've heard first Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I reckon it is caused by skis flexing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its magic
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowboarders scraping all the snow up into piles?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magicrichard wrote:

very flat runs tend to develop bumps

Puzzled I checked the date of this posting but April 1 has still to come. I must be missing something.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ccl wrote:
magicrichard wrote:

very flat runs tend to develop bumps

Puzzled I checked the date of this posting but April 1 has still to come. I must be missing something.

I think ridges is a better description, where they run across the width of the piste or the track, rather than bumps which are discrete mounds of snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, exactly which is magicrichard's point. Moguls get carved there but how do sleeping policemen develop on flat runs Confused and they can be quite fun Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the bumps are normally near the end of runs, or junctions etc. that are natural places to stop usually, and they are caused by skiers stopping (in the same place each time) to check where their friends are etc., turning their skis parallel to the run and forming, each time, a slight bump across the narrow flat piste. It just builds up (like moguls do due to skiers cavrving their figure of eight turns) over the course of the day in to small bumps
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's burrowing snow snakes.

Be aware of these fiendish creatures, they have a habit of popping out of the snow, grabbing an edge and tipping you over on simple green runs, in front of loads of people and then disappearing again Shock
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Marmotte tunnels?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think bumps on narrow flat bits of piste are caused by people having to quickly put in lots of wee turns or snowploughs to control their speed, as so many people get shoehorned into a narrow piste that it can get busy and you will often have to slow down or quickly change direction to avoid running into the back of someone.

Like 'braking bumps' on mountain biking trails caused by people unnecessarily pulling their brakes on.

Oh, and on completely flat bits, bumps are possibly made by people 'skating' their skis. Maybe Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
None of the above look remotely convincing to me. Maybe it is the result of a process rather similar to the "soil creep" which can cause very similar ridges on sloped pasture land, depending on the depth of soil and nature of the soil/rock interface. Maybe because of the local logistics piste bashers always run the same way on some stretches, and so do skiers. So the effect is a little like running the flat of your hand up a bottom sheet on a bed - try it.

There were some good ones in LDA near the glacier in the summer, I seem to remember.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w - naaahhh - simply the repeated pushing of snow in the same location in some manner by skiers
latest report
Surprisingly, the answer is sleeping policemen, or gendarmes couchants as they are known in France. It is a little known fact that unlike our native English breeds, most continental rozzers hibernate. Left to their own devices, they will naturally drop off into a deep sleep in their own beds (or, preferably, that of the Chief Super's old lady, but that's another story), having put on a few pounds (or kilos, as they prefer to call them) by eating huge quantities of high fat salamis, paid for by the sppeeding fines collected from tourisits during the fertile summer months. However, to avoid wasting their potential for being a pain to one and all, as the snow flakes egin to drift down out of a leaden autumn sky, their colleagues remove from their beds and lay them across otherwise flat pistes. The first snow storms cover them up, dropping their already low metabolic rate further, and there they lie until spring, making unsuspecting visitor's lives a misery. In mid April they awaken, stretch and head for the valley floor, ready to grab their mobile speed cameras (and possibly the Chief Super's old lady) to begin the cycle once more.
snow report
pistemeister wrote:
I reckon it is caused by skis flexing.

This seems the most likely answer so far, but dont know if its correct. wink If it was any of the others then they couldnt possibly be formed on those really narrow little tracks through the trees, the ones just big enough to fit a 10 year old through.
On many of these rat runs bumps tend to form as more people use them Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rayscoops is right.

The ridges, or 'white waves', found on flat pistes are caused gradually by mounds of snow piling up as riders snowplow, parallel or slip their way down the slope.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
rayscoops is right.

The ridges, or 'white waves', found on flat pistes are caused gradually by mounds of snow piling up as riders snowplow, parallel or slip their way down the slope.

This is what is puzzling me. Are we talking about flat ground or are we talking about a slope?
latest report
ccl, They appear on very shallow slopes 0r on flat ground that are used as run outs from steeper slopes
latest report
riverman, yip, and interesting to ride on a board Very Happy
snow conditions
My theory: A bit of soft snow causes a delve in the piste . As skiers drop into this they make it deeper. as they rise to the top they become lighter as they crest the brow and heavier as they come down again. This causes a ripple effect. I presume a similar effect is what caused the boarder cross in La Ros to become more mental as last week progressed . Embarassed
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I think you could be on to something there.... the ridges/bumps are almost like waves... so might be formed in a similar way.... and the continuous flow of skier traffic over them makes them bigger and bigger as the day goes on.
ski holidays
Fascinating. In all the years I have been skiing I must have gone over these things many a time without a thought. Something to look out for next season, then.
snow conditions
ccl, I'm much the same, although I had started wondering why a few weeks ago.

Whilst rayscoops' suggestion is eminently logical I don't think it's right (or at least not wholly) as these ridges sometimes form on tracks too narrow for snow-ploughs, turning or stopping, and most of the time on runs which are so shallow that no-one would be daft enough to stop there (would they?).

I like Frosty the Snowman's idea, although I have no idea if it's right or not.

Slightly off topic (though relating to an earlier comment), we had a skate race just before lunch on my course today. Good fun it was too (no poles allowed).
snow conditions
ccl, you've never seen them really? common on green runs - roads back to resort. they're quite pronounced - they bounce you up and down unpleasantly - a filling shaker
ski holidays
Oops, just reading red 27's comment made me realise that I only half read ccl's. To clarify, I knew I was skiing over them, I've only just started wondering what on Earth causes them!
latest report
I buy rayscoops, explaination. Just try following some kids down one of those tracks through the trees that the ski school makes, After a while, it is nothing but waves from continuous snow ploughs/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
ccl, you've never seen them really? common on green runs - roads back to resort. they're quite pronounced - they bounce you up and down unpleasantly - a filling shaker

Well, I must have seen them; but I obviously can't have noticed them. Must be absorbing them without thought. Let's put it down to good technique. wink
snow report
I'm with Frosty the Snowman on this one. Follow this link explaining how moguls are formed by snowmobiles -

http://www.sno-pals.com/images/mogul%20formation.pdf

snowmobiles do not snowplough, skid sideways etc but just go straight and still cause moguls. The snowmobiles have suspensions, skis have flex and the skiers weighting/unweighting. Maybe it needs a slight trigger in the snow like a soft spot, an existing bump caused by skidding skiers. Someone needs to setup some timelapse photos at a know flat(ish) bump spot and post on here. Subject matter for a university research grant? EPSRC here I come.
snow conditions
here's another more maths based article on the formation of moguls and washboards on gravel roads

http://extremesportsphysics.blogspot.com/2007/10/moguls-happen.html

I think I need to stop googling this now as it's getting too geeky.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
My theory: A bit of soft snow causes a delve in the piste . As skiers drop into this they make it deeper. as they rise to the top they become lighter as they crest the brow and heavier as they come down again. This causes a ripple effect. I presume a similar effect is what caused the boarder cross in La Ros to become more mental as last week progressed . Embarassed

I'm with you on this one.
snow conditions
waynos, I tried googling yesterday but didn't find anything immediately, and moved on. But you've definately hit on the answer there... It would appear to be a variant of what appears to be described as washboard road, where the same thing happens on dirt tracks (or any surface made up of small particles!)

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF18/1815.html

Quote:"the road surface had to be non-rigid, it had to be dry, and washboard forms immediately after an irregularity in the road surface, such as a bump, dip or small rock.

Bumps in the road surface cause the tire to hop in the air. Where the tire crashes down, it forms valleys by spraying sand and gravel forward and sideways. The moving tire ramps out of the valley and hops again. Thus, the washboarding process repeats itself.

Washboard spreads across the road as other cars repeat the action of the car that initiated it"

So, Frosty the Snowman, it looks like your theory is correct!
snow report
I think it happens in a similar way to the movement of sand dunes (see pam w's theory), where the skis push the snow in the same way as the wind moves the sand...

... this is then compounded with the widely acclaimed 'Frosty the Snowman' ripple effect theory...

... thus creating the perfect habitat for the 'burrowing snow snakes' (recently discovered by Sarge).

Never let it be said that skiers don't do their bit for the environment Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Phew - that's cleared that up then...

Next mystery to be solved is why do button lift sometimes pull you up so hard it feels like the seat is gonna get yanked right through you like an apple-corer, and sometimes not? Not moaning - I quite like it, but why?
ski holidays
red 27,
Quote:

I quite like it

Shocked
ski holidays
red 27, La Rosiere has the best drag lifts for this. One of our lady companions described one particular harsh one as: "like having a pull through with a christmas tree"
latest report
Quote:
I quite like it

Whatever floats your boat, red 27. You're obviously a candidate for the button lifts in the Arly Valley, which are particularly challenging. Worse than the La Rosiere "nutcracker".
snow conditions
Ah, a "my [fill to taste] is more gnarly than yours" thread wink . Was at Le Chazelet (other side of the valley from La Grave) the other week, and it's pretty viscious in good conditions, but with a little snow on the buttons, the grading was definitely VS+. The button pulled out from between the legs of many of the unfortunate punters Embarassed - and after the 4th time it gets sodding painful, I can tell you.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
red 27, La Rosiere has the best drag lifts for this. One of our lady companions described one particular harsh one as: "like having a pull through with a christmas tree"

Know that one!! The drag to the right (facing uphill) of the main Roches Noir (?). I'd grabbed the button and shoved it between legs at exactly the same moment as the (rather attractive female) liftie grasped my walkie talkie and the strap it was attached to in an effort have a chat to whomever, presumably, was on the other end.

Well by the time my feet were yanked halfway up the slope and my face was buried in her crotch, I didn't know whether to be ecstatic or eviscerated Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy