Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Novice qu! What is this Telemarking thing?

Poster: A snowHead
PhillipStanton, undisputed.

http://www.telemarktips.com/ForebodyPress.html
http://www.telemarktips.com/BindBench.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Masque - as I've pointed out before (and the subsequent conversation), the whole subject is very "bloke in shed".

Still. It'll while away the summer for you...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Masque wrote:

I do not need to cart around a THIRD pair of boots rolling eyes

All may not be so true. If you are thinking about buying some then I am pretty sure that the NTN boot will fit both an alpine and NTN tele binding...at least that was the idea to some extent.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TelemarkKing, If I can use them in in a carving board binding I'll be ecstatic Twisted Evil . . . one boot 3 disciplines and better than 'Red Braces' in all of them Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TelemarkKing,
not sure about that at all NTN boots all getting renewed lower secton from Scarpa- see telemarktips news.

but they do fit dynafit bindings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scarpa are not the only manufacturers to supply NTN, however I do know that there is still much R&D to be done where this binding/boot combo is concerned so there will be some flux until the balance point is found.

Masque - I suggest you take a look at the NTN boots (Scarpa/Crispi and Garmont) to see what they offer - you might be surprised.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque,
Quote:

Been doing some basic research into tele-boots . . . Lordy what choice Everything from from a leather ankle boot to an alpine racing boot with a bit of a hinge . . . and the PRICES

I do not need to cart around a THIRD pair of boots

welcome to the land of telemark pain in the A**edness Laughing as you research you will find scarpa for instance dont size to mondo standards and you wil hit the purchase button online when you buy with some trepidation (you must buy sight unseen as noone stocks your size of course) bindings will be a total mystery and noone will have drill jigs to mount them. oh forgot the mounting point is very debateble depending on what you read and each ski will have a different point. get it wrong by a millimetre and you will face plant every turn Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret wrote:

oh forgot the mounting point is very debateble depending on what you read and each ski will have a different point. get it wrong by a millimetre and you will face plant every turn Toofy Grin

Skimottaret - you paint a very gloomy picture...I'd be surprised if Masque isn't now setting up a letter bombing campaign to rid the earth of Tele dudes! Masque Mottarets point although true in the sense that the mounting point is debatable is flawed at the point it says 'get it wrong by a millimetre...' I have done a lot of experimentation and, yes whilst I have had my fair share of face plants, it wasn't due to a millimetre but more like a few centimetres - I mount my bindings 215mm forward of boot centre - that would be a lot of face plants it Mottaret was correct!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another question. Just how widespread is telemarking in the Alps? Further, do all hire shops have equipment to try or is it just a "select few" who are keen and take their own equipment that do it? I'm asking because my recent skiing experience is (so far) limited to Nordic countries where telemarking seems to be just a popular (perhaps more so amongst the local "youth") as alpine. It would be just as easy (there) to arrange telemark hire and lessons as alpine ones.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
peura, Not nearly as common. Some shops have hire kit - but you have to look for it.. Some places (Chamonix for example) have quite a tele scene, others do not. Two weeks ago I was in Italy (Pila, La Thuile, Cogne - and ski touring) - did not see another telemarker at all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
peura, we had a telemark lesson in Wengen in March, and are having another in Val T in a couple of weeks. Not all schools have instructors, but a lot do - it's often an instructor's other discipline, it seems. The info won't necessarily be available on the website, you'd most likely need to e-mail to ask. Hired gear appears to be generally available in the larger resorts but not in every shop, and sometimes sizes maybe limited (which will really only cause a problem if you want to do it with 5 friends and you all have the same boot size - one shop might have trouble fitting you all out, but 2-3 shops should be able to manage it).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
vetski wrote:
sometimes sizes maybe limited (which will really only cause a problem if you want to do it with 5 friends and you all have the same boot size - one shop might have trouble fitting you all out, but 2-3 shops should be able to manage it).

You see size is always an issue! Toofy Grin

There are a couple of shops in Val T that do Tele kit, though I am not sure about hiring it.

All you need to know about Val T.

http://www.snowbrainer.co.uk/Resort.asp?ResortID=224
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peura,
Quote:

Another question. Just how widespread is telemarking in the Alps?

Not very, I usually see between one and a few dozen others during a weeks skiing in the alps, but they'll ussually stop and chat to another telemarker if you meet them on a run or chair. But if you come up to Sotland we make up a significant percentage of the skiers on the slopes here. Also if you come up to scotland there are a number of shops that have a wide range of tele boots in plenty of different sizes. Eg MountainSpirit (http://www.mountainspirit.co.uk/index.asp) and Cairngorm Mountain sport both in Aveimore and Braemar Mountain sport in Braemar (http://www.braemarmountainsports.com/)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
You see size is always an issue!

Not even 40 posts and you're already being smutty rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vetski, It's not size that's the worry but the shrinkage Shocked
ski holidays
TelemarkKing, not trying to paint a gloomy picture at all and i was exagerating for sure on the millimetre comment. For me a part of the charm of telemarking is the lengths one must go to to get things right , find equipment and locating info which is scarce with multiple opinions on everything. Laughing Toofy Grin kinda like running an antique car...
latest report
Gotchya - and yes I agree.
ski holidays
youtube has some amazing tele skiers- these have to be some of the best;

http://youtube.com/v/QM00MqRhP2s

http://youtube.com/v/7qkMn3jPa2E&feature=related

this guy makes it look effortless and has incredible balance
snow conditions
Awesome - this guy does stuff backwards that some can't even do forwards!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy