Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Off there next week and some basic questions...

We are two families and a mixed range of abilities. In order not to scare people too much on day 1, can anyone tell me which of the reds would fall into the category of being nearer the blue end, which would be nearer the black end and which are good ol' average reds. Similarly for the blacks, if you were to put them in ascending order of difficulty, which would be the easier ones?

Thanks for any help Very Happy

A second thing is that we were thinking of doing the heli-transfer to Les 2 Alpes, but there is no mention on the website that the ski pass covers that resort Confused Can anyone confirm whether or not a week's pass does give you a day there?

And finally... am I right in thinking that we will need photos for the lift passes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, we had a boys week there in January and thoroughly enjoyed it. What I found with the grading of pistes that the colours blue/red virtually meant little. That is to say sometimes we were on a blue and thought this feels steeper than the red we just came off!!! We couldn't quite fathom how they did their grading.
As for day one no scare day I would suggest a morning in the very large bowl area which has a big mix of greens, blues and reds, and in the afternoon go up Troncon bubble and try le rousses(probably the nicest red run) which then gives you the options to visit Vaujany(probably the prettiest skiing in the resort) or down to Oz Station, both are good. I only skied three black runs and they were Sarenne, Col de Cluy and La Fare. Again I think in another resort Sarenne and La Fare would be reds, both great runs though, I did them both a couple or three times, and Col de Cluy was bumpy but fun. I was put off doing The Tunnel piste because of some horror stories on here but I wish I had given it a shot with hindsight. If you like speed one piste to let yourself ski freely on is Campanules
We considered the Heli-transfer, I think it is available tues, wed, thurs but once we got to the resort and had a play on the slopes we soon realised there is more than enough in ADH for the week. You can actually see LDA from Auris En Osian, another area to enyoy with a quite unusual lift experience on the chair- Alpauris.
No you don't need a photo for the pass.
Have fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't need photos, and a week's Visalp pass gives you a day in 2Alpes.

Blacks: the Sarenne is easy and the Tunnel is difficult. The Col du Cluy on the Auris side is nice.

Reds: the run down to Vaujany is easy, as are the two off the top of the Lac Blanc chair.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. Looking forward to this now.

Any suggestions on where to go for a meal out when the chalet hosts have their day off? 2 familes, kids ages 17, 17, 16, 15 and 12 and 1 veggie. Nothing too plush, but then not tacky either.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ray Zorro, Les Epiciers in the Arcade next to the ice rink is very nice and Fondu en Follie is great if you fancy a Fondu!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro

Blacks:
1) Tunnel - nasty (too nasty for me)

2) La Foret (off the Signal - some steep and bumpy sections but fine if snow good)

3) Sarenne (lovely run - best to do it at lunchtime when quieter BUT the lower sections can bet rocky and/or slushy if you leave it too late at this time of year - also if you are unsure about the steepish top bit you can miss it by taking the Marmotte III gondola - from top of Marmotte it`s an easy red equivalent). Also try the Chateau Noir

4) La Fare (lovely run tho can get a bit hard/icy towards the bottom esp earlier in day)

Reds
1) Belvedere from the top of Domes Des Petites Rousses - connecting onto another red called Les Rousses. If you then join onto the blue run Les Chalets this leads to La Fare. From start of Belvedere to bottom of La Fare is nearly 2000m of not very difficult vertical.

2) Chamois

3) Campanules (basically a blue)

4) Alpette - horrible just before lunch and at end of day - millions of people returning to Oz. But - if you can get it when it`s quiet it`s nice, fast cruisey red (@ 10-15 m wide).

I wouldn`t recommend the other red down to Oz (L`Olmet). The snow is often poor and it can get crowded. It`s ok but there are nicer runs.

Blues
1) Petit Prince & Les Vallon (off the Signal - wide and cruisey at top - can get a bit chopped at the bottom)

2) Champclotury (runs from Poutran 1 lift down towards Oz)

3) Chalets & Les Travers down to Montfrais

4) Edelweiss

5) Vaujaniate (down to vaujany - only do if snow good - can get scratchy & rocky & there`s one short steep section)

All of the above reds are fine and towards the lower end of the red spectrum.

Have a fab time
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got back after a fab week in Alpe D'Huez with lots of snow/powder but a very warm last day meant that things were melting fast and despite all the snow there were already rocks breaking through on the Sarenne and the Village run to Huez village was incomplete. I hope it snows some more for you. I was surprised with some of the grading, with some reds much easier than other blues and others being harder than some blacks. It depends on whether they've been pisted and the general snow conditions. The Villard red down into Villard Reculas wasn't pisted all week and was relatively tricky, as was the Canyon red, and I have seen similar pistes marked black in other resorts. On the other hand Les Rousses, Poutat and La Course were very straightforward and could have been marked blue.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
they have made Rousses much easier by flattening out the bit that used to make people cr@p themselves
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the comments so far - please keep them coming.

What about mountain restaurants - any to avoid or any recommendations?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do a bit of searching? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=36967&highlight= Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just got back from a weekend in Alpe d'Huez - much more snow around then when I was up there a few weeks ago!! Unfortunately most the lifts were shut Sunday due to strong winds..which had also blown all the powder off the pistes... the snow was much better the other side of the mountain which was sheltered from the wind - beautiful snow heading down to Oz en Oisans...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, Chalet du Lac Besson is well worth a visit (just off the Chamois red run and a bit of a push but worth the effort). Plage des Neige which is just below the first station DMC is also good and reasonably priced and if you are heading down to Montfrais time it so you can stop for lunch at Les Aurilles (first restaurant on the left hand side as you ski into Montfrais) Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Katski, Lac Besson is a favourite in the summer. How do you reach it in the winter ? Off the Chamois ? And how do you ski out of it ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonty, There is a signpost off Chamois and then you follow the flags along to the restuarant. The path out is the walkers path so a bit of a push on skis and probably a walk with a board and it joins onto the run down to OZ underneath the Poutran lift.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is anyone going to Alpes d'huez for the week on the 5th (pm) of February with return on the 12th in the morning?

Bus transfer from Grenoble airport is 70€ return, and only 40€ return for a group of 10. http://www.grenoble-airport.com/-Scheduled-coach-transfers-.html
Me and my friends we're a group of 5 (leaving from London) and if we find 5 other people travelling at the same time, we can make an interesting deal for all of us...
Please contact me if interested so we can organize something,
Chris
snow conditions
chrystalc, welcome to snowHeads.

Just by way of, hopefully, useful advice, you might get a better response by starting a specific thread yourself about this, as opposed to adding to one that's well over 2 years old. Either way, good luck with trying to find some additional travellers to drive down those costs snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 10-11-10 12:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
thanks for the advice ill do that!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy