Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Webcam Mania

Poster: A snowHead
Just been viewing the website for La Thuille, yet again!!
I've been viewing this site for weeks now and it's snowed and thawed but now there's a dump there. I've never quite been able to work out the location of the camera, it's pointing at a road with a number of chalet type buildings around. Don't know whether it's at village level or heading up to the pass.
Anyway, in the past there have been a number of cars. vans etc parked or passing when the shot was taken. Today it was a skidoo!!!! Result.

I've been wondering what idiots sometimes decide on the location of the cameras. A quick search of the webcams on Iglu show some interesting results.
The Tignes (at Le Lac) camera points straight at a tower crane.
The Chamonix camera points straight at Mont Blanc. If I viewed this in August I would see snow!!
The Argentiere camera is the same as Chamonix.
The La Rosiere camera points at the mountains in the distance (I want to see snow conditions in the resort!).
The Brides les Brains camera is showing Meribel.

Haven't got time to go through them all. Additions gratefully accepted.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This one from Megève is particularly useful.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cymru am Byth, The webcam shows the area at the top of Les Suches lift, where the ski school meeting point is. If you stay at the Planibel its on one of the tv channels so you can check out conditions up top before you get out of bed!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cymru am Byth, is this the one? Been keeping an eye on it myself and hoping some of that snow finds it's way over the border and on to La Ros in fairly short order!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cymru am Byth, is that La Thuile webcam the one on this page? (which is a very useful one for anyone thinking of the Val d'Aosta).

Looks like those villages are off to a healthy start.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, Laughing Laughing

Cymru am Byth, if you wait, i'll be able to tell you in a week and a bit..... NehNeh ......i'll see if i can post a message to snowheads or put a dinosaur in the corner Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mark Hunter, and David Goldsmith, yes that's the webcam. Nick Dawes, has already identified the area. Now I only need a readable piste map and I can locate it.
laundryman, I think you've got the most interesting webcam to date. What are they thinking of?
Mark Hunter, The two resorts are so close that even the narrowest micro climate can't prevent the snow connecting them. What you see in La Thuille will be available to ski on anyway.
Why am I putting myself through this, I don't go for six weeks anyway!!!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dan, What type of dinosaur? Must make sure that it's the right one.
Full report on the place please, including restaurants, slopes, and most importantly price of beer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cymru am Byth wrote:
Why am I putting myself through this, I don't go for six weeks anyway!!!!

Trouble is, I'm out there in 3...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After lengthy research, this one is clearly the BEST webcam to be found wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, Stunner. I can almost smell it. If I knew how to shift the smileys I'd fill the page up!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

most importantly price of beer

I think it'll be the bombardinos first, possibly a rum & hot chocolate - purely for medincinal purposes Wink .....beer price will come later in the day.

The dinosaur idea comes from a webcam on the north or south pole (i think) that had some toy dino stuck in the corner last year............most amusing!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PG - Aaaaargh! Its not fair, I want to be there! (Best photo of Arc 1600 local skiing I've seen. Shows why its not the best Arc base for beginners).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 2-12-04 12:39; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan wrote:
Quote:

most importantly price of beer

I think it'll be the bombardinos first, possibly a rum & hot chocolate - purely for medincinal purposes Wink .....beer price will come later in the day.

The dinosaur idea comes from a webcam on the north or south pole (i think) that had some toy dino stuck in the corner last year............most amusing!

I''ve always found spirits to be the best value...esp. if you get to know the bar staff. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking a bit damp in Andorra?

http://www.el-viking.com/
snow report
Not much use now, but this one in Flims allows you to watch the snow as it falls.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-12-04 14:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
PG - Aaaaargh! Its not fair, I want to be there! (Best photo of Arc 1600 local skiing I've seen. Shows why its not the best Arc base for beginners).

When it gets a bit icy, end of season, can be fun getting back down the Cachette late afternoon!
ski holidays
You want webcam obsession? Well I wrote a perl script that has been taking the pics from the camera at Isola2000, Val d'Isere and Cervinia since 20 Oct (3 times a day) and saving them locally so I can record the progress over the winter!!

Jeez I think I may have problems snowHead

FYI Cervinia looks the best. Isola2000 after trailing way behind has made some serious gains in the last week.
snow conditions
PG, how do you get any work done with that view out your window?
ski holidays
Work? .... knew there was something I meant to do today wink
ski holidays
Cymru am Byth, you were looking for nominations for badly sited cams. The La Plagne ones are well up there. Plagne Centre (where they have artificial snow) and some of the lower villages. Who cares about Champagny? About 1% of LP visitors ever get down there. What they need is a 360 from Roche De Mio which can be tilted up and downwards. Then you'd get a better idea of what conditions are really like.
The current 360 from the top of the Grande Rochette just skims round the adjacent mountian tops - most of which are miles away from LP's runs.
<< Edit - I've been a little unfair. The GR 360 has some Zoom buttons which focus in on LP pistes. Most of which are pretty bare. And the Montchavin - Les Coches web cam does have a panorama (click on it) which gives a good idea how things are at lower level, 1450m. On the other hand the Montalbert one is from last Wednesday !! I rest my case, m'lud. >>
ski holidays
Quote:
Who cares about Champagny? About 1% of LP visitors ever get down there.

kuwait_ian, yeah but having seen the webcam, I would now like to. I suppose I'll have to move well to do it in a day from BSM?
snow report
Yet to go all the way over there myself - bu I've emailed a local to ask how long he reckons it would take from Arc 1600 first thing...

I know - it's the Kamikaze and the Hara-Kiri that you want to try out...
ski holidays
Quote:
I know - it's the Kamikaze and the Hara-Kiri that you want to try out...

Well I wouldn't say I want to go that far! Shocked

I tend to get my divine wind from other sources, anyway.

I reckon I'm going to try and get a few private lessons (esp. first week) to see if I can't improve myself a tad.
snow conditions
So here's the answer - (applies to a 'good' skier', as I'm sure you are wink )

About 30-45 mins from Arc 1600 across to the Vanoise Express. 7 mins to cross.

From the La Plagne side of the Vanoise Express:

Lac Noir gondolas > Bijolin chair > Salla chair > BELLECOTE : 45 minutes, 1 hr at the outside

BELLECOTE > Blanchets chair > Levasset Piste: 10-20 minutes

So from the VE you're in Champagny in less than 2 hours, considerably less if you're lucky with queues.

So in theory from Arc 1600 you can easily get to Champagny by midday, assuming you take the funicular around 8.30/8.45 am.
ski holidays
Right, well I'll try that and then let you know if I'm a "good skier". Seems a reasonable benchmark to me. wink

Looks like good timing to grab a bite for lunch. I shall go and research the eateries in the area - unless anyone can recommend one there?
snow report
Hmmm, looks to me like that Champagny webcam might be in the cross-country area?
snow conditions
skanky, Worth a trip as its usually deserted, dont bother if there is sparse snow as it gets bare quickly being south facing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, thanks for the tip.
ski holidays
I think the web cam is right down at village level, which is 1200m only. The red run down through the trees to Champagny is rarely open - because of the low altitude and south facing. I've never done it in several visits. I think Helen Beaumont was based in Champagny last year - maybe she can advise.
But the Kamikaze and Hare-Kiri are great long reds higher up. They were closed a lot last Jan because of avalanche risks.
Late season, when things are icy first thing, go over to the Champagny side in the morning as the sun softens the pistes quickly and they're not usually too busy. But stay high. Then hop back over onto the north-facing slopes later in the day. The restaurant at the bottom of the Borsellier chair (approx = the top of the lift up from Champagny village) is pretty good.
ski holidays
It looks like it's pointing up the valley (east) where the cross country trails are. It looks like a nice view, anyway. I hadn't noticed that "kamikaze" & "Hari Kiri" were piste names. I thought PG was accusing me of being dare-devilish Embarassed
snow report
skanky, same guy who gave timings above reckons you should leave by 3pm latest to be on the safe side, to avoid ending up stuck at Bellecôte in front of the Arpette.... at least once back on the Les Arcs side, if the lifts stop, you can always get the shuttle back to 1600...
snow report
PG, okay thanks for that. If the snow's as dodgy as Ian says it can be, then we should be away well before that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy