Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing backwards & with eyes closed?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

just got back from Pas in Adorra, thia is my 3rd week skking in total and was in the top ski school group for intermediates, practising on blues and reds, with the occasional black thrown in.

First couple of afternoons were great, then on 3rd day he attempted to teach us to ski backwards down a red, first snowplough, then parrell.

On another afternoon in poor visability he got us to cover our eyes with our neck/face masks and ski fowards parrell blind, so we could feel the slope.

Is this normal or was he just trying to make us all fall over for his own amusment.

As you might guess we were all over the place skiing backwards, and as for skiing bline, we took each other out after about 5 turns and ended up as a heap of 9 people in the middle of the main red run?

advice appreciated

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done a bit of skiing backwards on lessons but not blindfolded!! Seems a bit dangerous and unnecessary to me but i'm not an instructor!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can see whathe was trying to do. not necessarily both at once, but being able to ski by feel is a really good skill - you can just let your body act as a shock absorber, compressing and extedning to keep your skis in contact with the snow
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing blindfolded is a great exercise, although I would prefer to do it on an empty run rather than with people around me (even if they're from my group, and ESPECIALLY if they're also skiing blindfolded). I tried it this winter on an empty red run and I managed 12-15 turns until I was about to veer off the piste. (a friend said "it's like somebody connected you to a style-o-meter and dialled down the skiing quality by 30% - it's still recognizably you, but clearly worse-looking skiing").

Skiing backwards - maybe less of an exercise that you can use directly in normal skiing, but it must improve balance, the feeling of the snow, etc - and of course as you progress you'll look cool laying train tracks backwards!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've noticed instructors with really little kids getting them skiing backwards - only on the nursery slope though, not reds. As for skiing blindfold, it's pretty much like skiing in a whiteout. Very good for you - but it's hard not to cheat - and better to have an empty slope in front of you! And a gentle one...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
garethjomo, I think she means these are separate exercises wink imho a 3 week skier should manage backwards snowploughs quite easily but backwards parallel down a red run I would think would be tricky Shocked Eyes closed should be fine on a gentle slope if you're certain there are no obstacles, cliffs or other skiers to worry about.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda, no instances of motion sickness yet? Laughing

There was this one teenager in a night class once... apparently he'd had chili after his roller coaster rides that morning.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing with eyes shut (rather than blindfolded) is better (safer certainly), but does give you good feedback as to what the ski's and your body are doing when changes in terrain occur. We have done this on the dry slope, by straight lining the last two moguls, either full on, or just of to one side (so one leg goes over the mogul, one stays on the slope) You really get a feel if your flexing correctly.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In a similar vein to skiing with your eyes closed, skiing with your boots completely undone is also good for working on feedback and balance. And perhaps a bit safer too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Really? That's interesting, I never thought of that.. be interesting to try it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Charli939, yes, great way to find out if your boots are too big also.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Yep, that also works well, until you hit the slight incline at the bottom of the dry slope, and stop suddenly with loose boots Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
srobbo, ah, the joys of plastic!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Charli939, watch out for frost bite on your toes when the snow gets in Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What do you teach a quickly improving group in bad visibility? I think that skiing backwards with with your eyes closed is totally appropriate for that sort of group and weather, assuming that the piste is fairly empty. The point of this exercise is that if he was intending teaching you something faster and more challenging the next day and the visibility was still poor (or worse) then there was the risk that you would end up skiing backwards totally accidentally, still without being able to see - hence the original exercise under controlled conditions, so when it happened for real you knew how to get out of it.

I teach kids on dry slope, mainly 4-6 yr olds. We include skiing backwards early on with a similar aim, it's really frightening watching your little one hurtling backwards down a ski slope, so we make sure that they know how to control the skis backwards and slow down safely. We also teach them about skiing in bad visibility with their arm over their eyes, this is a wet weather activity when it's too quick on the dry slope to do much technique work and there aren't many kids out.
snow report
Also, I met some little kids who had been skiing backwards with their instructor, on their third day on skis, and they were just so thrilled to show off to their mum and dad what they could do. It gave them bags of confidence.
ski holidays
Also, I met some little kids who had been skiing backwards with their instructor, on their third day on skis, and they were just so thrilled to show off to their mum and dad what they could do. It gave them bags of confidence.
latest report
Skiing backwards is usded to teach students about balance and position on the skis if you are sking backwards you wont be standing on the same place on the skis

Blindfold skiing is exactly what it says on the tin learning to ski using the force makes skiing in a white out easy but would only ask people to do it on a wide blue or easy red and you should be talking to them to let them know where they are.
snow report
Skiing backwards, easy with twin tips.
latest report
latest report
Quote:

Skiing backwards, easy with twin tips.

Everything is easier on twin tips Twisted Evil Currently scouting Ebay to add a pair to my ski bag
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, Very Happy I think I'm more worried about frost bite of the neck from where the snow gets in, if I try that... rolling eyes
snow report
Ordhan, I have a pair of Salomon 1080's that I might be persuaded to part with......

can be seen in this pic
latest report
jeez guys, its fakie or switch....
snow report
pam w, how many times did you meet those kids? They obviously got around, despite being made to ski backwards.
latest report
I may have missed something but I think 2 totally separate exercises were done both of which I'd have thought were very good for building skills on the right sort of slope with appropriate spacing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy