Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots too big or crap technique?

Poster: A snowHead
Had my boots about 4 or 5 seasons
Shell size is 22 and they were comfy but nice and snug and felt really secure in all circumstances. But I think the inner must have compressed now because last week in the heavy powder I felt as if when the snow grabbed my ski a bit my boot stayed put and my foot slipped a bit.

When I cranked up all the buckles it felt better.... but I am now in danger of my feet going to sleep and with the buckles around the calf really tight I found it harder to push my weight forward.

Is it just my crap technique - or have I now got too much volume in my boot?

Do I need to
a) Get new liners for my current boots(Is this possible?)
b) Tighten my buckles (which ones are critical?... should the boot need to be tight around the whole calf?
c) Get new boots (scared of both the cost/the pain/getting it wrong!!!!)

Sorry for a boring question
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had this problem briefly. I wound the buckles right out and then moved them up a notch. There's a lot of adjustability if you mess around with twizzling the buckles and trying different notches.

Undoubtedly a zillion bootvendors will turn up in a minute to tell me I am talking rubbish and you should buy new boots three times a season. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Lizzard..
Do you reckon I crank them all up - or the ones round the foot - or around the calf?

Does it make sense that I hadnt really noticed my feel were starting to move a bit while the pistes were more predictable?

Its just every time I complain about equipment... hubby tells me its my skiing.
I was also on narrowish skis I've had about 9 years and he was floating away on his B3s - Someone tell me I'm not just a pathetic skiier!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham, sounds like you may have compacted them (assuming they were the correct size/fit in the first place). Does 4-5 seasons mean seasons or weeks?

Anyway, you can get new liners in a variety of forms if the shells still have life. You may simply need proper fitting that will allow you to tighten them appropriately. this need not be terribly expensive except that you do want to visit someone reputable...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm pretty convinced they were great when I got them... I took the liners out and checked the amount of room in the shell etc - I got them in the first place coz my other boots were too big
Think I've had them 4-5 years and they've probably done 4 - 5 weeks each year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jayne durham, I tightened the top two the most. However, I have a high instep and if I tighten the buckle over the top of my foot too much it cuts off the blood to my toes, which is less than ideal. I also have a higher calf muscle than a lot of women.

I should just keep messing with them until you find what suits - that's all I did.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
so that will be 16 to 25 weeks, the liner is probably pretty well packed out, there are a couple of things you could do

1 volume reducer under the liner or between the liner and the footbed, this it s tempoary solution and will not last for ever [it is the cheapesst though]
2 assuming the shell is in good condition then a new aftermarket liner may work well, depending on your boot your foot and ability you could go for a heat mouldable [thermofit style] around £80 - £100, a zip fit [cork and clay liner, which will give more performance] £170, a PU foam liner, again more performance, and depends on your foot and boot if it is suitable £170 - £200 dependant on model the thermo and zip fit can be moved to a new shell in the future should this be required
3 new boot the pricey option

good luck
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jayne durham, fair enough then. I reckon that 20 weeks is about the life of any bit of kit. Shells can last longer depending on the shell. Sounds like a trip to Chamonix might be required? Or CEM?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch, I've used my boots for six seasons. They are fine, can't see why they shouldn't last the same again.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, How many days do you ski on them? How hard do you ski on them? If not very many (and yes, I do know where you live) and not very, then they may well last you for a long time.

Personally, my boots reach the odour limit after 20 weeks. And that is with Febreze, etc. Gloves easily die after a season (I clearly have sweaty extremities) and skis go all floppy/lose their bounce after about the same length of time.

Just my opinion mind. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why cant I have a decent bootfitter who lives around the corner!
Thanks CEM, Lizzard and David
I'm back in Les Arcs in a week. I think maybe I'll try the Lizzard approach to get me to the end of the season and then either go for a weekend to Oxfordshire or the Chamonix option.
Both are a trek though if I get new boots and they need adjusting. and wot if they hurt - when my hubby got his new boots from Chamonix he was in agony for the first week... bahhhhh Crying or Very sad

Hey - no one said it was my skiing - thats a result - or is everyone just being kind!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jayne durham, I had a similar situation with a pair of boots a couple of seasons ago. Visited CEM in Bicester and got a pair of Zipfit liners to replace the old ones. Very pleased with them - they revitalised my old boots, and were so much better than the original liners ever were. I was prepared to by a new pair of boots if needed, but CEM said the existing shells were fine even if the liners were dead. I'd say its worth the trip for you, even if it's another hour to Bicester for you than it is for me.

Won't help with your rubbish skiing, but at least your feet won't move around.

Joke Wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very tempting Rob.... Will look up "Bicester" on viamichelin. Would be a push probably to find a possible slot before I'm next out. This "commuting" to Les Arcs is great fun but I'm absolutely shattered.
Take care with what you say about my skiing matey!!!! It might just be so bad I accidentally take you out when I next see you.... Twisted Evil . Mind you - with the number of jackets you've got I probably wont recognise you. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey guess wot - I've just realised my boots are out in Les Arcs anyway - what a muppet I am!!!!
I'll bring them back after next trip. Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jayne durham, Very Happy
snow report
jayne durham, don't rush if you do want a zip fit, i have run out of anything below 24.5
ski holidays
jayne durham, time to buy new boots, salvage that last trip's skiing.
snow report
David Murdoch, I am a bird - we don't have your nasty niffy feets problem. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy