Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the best goggle lenses for flat light?

Poster: A snowHead
As the title asks. I have great difficulty in seeing the changes in terrain when there is flat light. Can anyone suggest the correct colour or make of lenses to rectify this.

Cheers in anticipation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The one's which I bought in Whistler before Christmas, sold primarily on their ability to help in flat light (the salesperson told me they sell huge numbers of the lense in Whistler, for that reason; and that the lense is often referred to as 'the Whistler lense', again for that reason). I believe they are called High Intensity Yellow (from Oakley). Excellent light transmission, and the bright yellow lense helps with contrast.

Anyway, regardless of the sales pitch I was given... I can confirm that they are exceptional in flat light - nothing's going to be perfect, but I really felt much more comfortable and confident that I could see what I was skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JP, you mean you don't enjoy the adrenaline surge generated by suddenly finding yourself airborne because you couldn't see the bump or the lip your skis found 2 seconds earlier?? Strange. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JP, do a search as there's been loads of posts on this subject.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JP, This year I found the Alpina Quattroflex ... not sure if they are extensively available in the UK. I bougt mine in Switzerland

I think they are stunning and 'illuminate' in flat light.. they come in several sizes and with a couple of lens coatings but none are as expensive as the 'Big Brands'. A few other snowHead have tried them and they are magnificent -- although one ( Fenlandskier I think ) didnt like the colour.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The best advice I got from a thread last year was to spend time trying them on comparing for comfort and illumination. I was prepared to spend serious cash on the right pair but in the end bought Decathlon own brand for €24 after comparing them with another name brand.

They made a big difference for me a couple of days this season so for me have already earned thier keep
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JP, trust the Force Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JP, I struggled with flat light and I have yellow lenses. However, the more I ski, the more I don't worry about the flat light. Trust your legs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have pink lenses for flat light and find them excellent. They do some odd things to colours, especially immediately after you put them on, but they enhance contrast very effectively.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brown lenses tend to be best for flat light but the Oakley Permision lenses are great for all round
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've tried pink ones and didn't like them at all, or find them useful in flat light. Interesting. I wonder if it's something to do with one's vision prescription?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i have been told many times that 'yellow is best for flat light', but this site recommends 'persimmon' Shocked

"That's why most ski goggles have a yellow tint. Yellow allows good light transmission—about 70 percent—while increasing contrast. But sometimes even that isn't good enough. So lots of goggle makers also offer reddish or "persimmon" lenses. These jack up the contrast even more in low and flat light, helping you see previously unseen variations in the terrain."

Are there any optometrists (sp?) or other experts on here that can say WHY Yellow or pink tints are better than other colours to 'enhance contrast'? I understand that reducing glare and 'overload' is helpful, but when visibility is poor I'd have thought no filter (i.e. clear, or possibly polarised) lenses that allowed '100%' light through would be best?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Axsman, isn't 100% light what one gets not wearing goggles or specs at all? I had to wear clear goggles once (borrowed cos forgot/lost mine), and they were terrible. I guess that the alteration in light is what allows one to see contrast - in the same kind of way that one doesn't cast a shadow at midday in full sunlight, but does when the sun is in a different position, which alters its intensity?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd say a yellow tinted lens that lets in as much light as possible. The tint helps with definition.

I've not tries polarised lenses though, so can't say whether they'd help.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vetski, Yes exactly. What I was trying (badly) to say was that whereas in bright daylight on snow I can see the need to reduce the light your eyes have to deal with (by wearing dark sunglasses/goggles), in low-light condition I don't understand why a 'yellow' or 'pink' (or brown) filter actually helps you see more?

I accept that it does seem to help (I have Bolle photochromic goggles which darken from pink to brown according to the light conditions and they seem to help a lot) but I don't see WHY they help?

Mosha Marc, I bought some polarised sunglasses this year (they were all the rage when I was young but seemed to become less popular some years ago? maybe because t=of the interference patterns on windscreens - I don't ski behind a windscreen though Very Happy). I only wore them in bright sunlight and they certainly do reduce reflected glare. snowHead

Mine are too dark for 'flat light' conditions so I can't judge if polarising would help there. - Another question for the experts?
snow report
vetski wrote:
I've tried pink ones and didn't like them at all, or find them useful in flat light. Interesting. I wonder if it's something to do with one's vision prescription?

Could be; I have recently started wearing specs for distance vision, but don't normally need them. Pink lenses are a bit odd, but they work for me. I even have a pair of sun specs with pink lenses and brown lenses which fit over the top for normal use. Very snazzy, but I suspect that they won't last long.

In a couple of shops I visited looking for flat light goggs, they offer you a picture to look at with and without the pink lenses. Without, just a grey rectangle; with, a lovely (monochromatic) picture of a skier. The picture colour is no doubt finely tuned to the lenses, and the demo almost certainly worthless, but it passes 30 seconds in a ski shop.
snow report
richmond wrote:
In a couple of shops I visited looking for flat light goggs, they offer you a picture to look at with and without the pink lenses. Without, just a grey rectangle; with, a lovely (monochromatic) picture of a skier. The picture colour is no doubt finely tuned to the lenses, and the demo almost certainly worthless, but it passes 30 seconds in a ski shop.

Yes, that sounds like 'Alpina Quattroflex' ... now go and try them in 'Real' flat light and discover that they are much better than the shop 'simulation'. I guess you haven't .... otherwise you would not knock them.
snow conditions
Agenterre, calm down, calm down, I'm not knocking them, I'm a pink lens fan; it's vetski who isn't. I was merely pointing out that the demo is a con. I can't remember what make my pink goggs are, not Alpina. The specs are Alpina. Both perform well in flat light, although the Alpina specs in particular do odd things to colours.
snow conditions
richmond, Wasn't me who claimed 'they only work in shops' to paraphrase your post wink I don't give a damn about who buys them .. nor about who engages in 'stupid' discussions about the relative values of colours without scientific proof wink , or application to others colour preferences... I do care about what works ( for me) ... excuse my trying to post qualified, positive advice to others rather than the(my) normal negatiive drivel Shocked
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
richmond wrote:

Yes, that sounds like 'Alpina Quattroflex' ... now go and try them in 'Real' flat light and discover that they are much better than the shop 'simulation'. I guess you haven't .... otherwise you would not knock them.

I bought a pair of these on a whim 3 weeks or so ago - it was a dull day so could try outside as well as the simulation. Agree that they are superb, the only problem I had was one day when the temp was fluctuating and they fogged up between the double lenses Only happened once, so I don't know whether it was just a fluke due to conditions or an inherent fault...
ski holidays
As Axsman has asked, I also want to hear more on polarised lenses. I bought some Briko wrap-around shades several years ago that were polarised and seem to remember that despite being quite dark they were as useful in flat light as anything else I had. Only stopped wearing them due to the continual p*ss taking...
latest report
eng_ch, They seem to several models ... I have the 'coated-lens' ... never fogged since December when I bought them... each to their own .... wink RachelQ has bought a different model , not sure what she thinks.
snow report
Agenterre wrote:

.. nor about who engages in 'stupid' discussions about the relative values of colours without scientific proof wink ...

Well maybe not 'stupid', but perhaps 'uninformed'? Which was the root of my question - is there any scientific basis for a particular colour of lens improving contrast when combined with the human eye? I haven't seen anything yet that say WHY or HOW tellow or pink or brown or persimmon rolling eyes work their magic Very Happy
snow report
Agenterre, you haven't paraphrased my post, have you, you naughty boy? I wrote that pink lenses work for me and pointed out, as an aside, that the demo in the shops is worthless (it irritates me when I'm treated like a gullible moron, especially when the perp. is using a con to try to flog me something).
snow conditions
richmond, I paraphrased one of the 2 paras ? wink

Axsman, You asked a sensible question ... you haven't had an answer based on fact Toofy Grin ... and I have no idea . From my original post it ( Alpina) seems to work for some .. but not for all Confused
snow report
Agenterre wrote:
richmond, I paraphrased one of the 2 paras ?

Possibly, but selective paraphrasing is the devil's work.
ski holidays
Oh wait a minute, Alpina say some of the Quattroflex goggs have polarised lenses. Maybe that's their trick.
latest report
richmond, Iam Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy