Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, Les Arcs or La Plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have found three options for a ski trip at the beginning of April: Tignes Val Claret, Belle Plagne or Arcs 2000. All are similar prices, though the later two are slightly cheaper but only £20.

I'm an intermediate happy on red, blues and the odd black. The other half has done a day of skiing with two hours of private lessons where she was doing stem turns by the end.

Basically I'm leaning towards tignes but do you think that the other half will be able to cope with Tignes as probably not as beginner friendly as the others. Just thought I would get some opinions as to what people would choose and reasons. I think that is a fairly open question.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All 3 resorts are concrete monstrosities.

Based on your criteria, I would go for Les Arcs or La Plagne, in that order.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is your other half going to get lessons? I'd choose the resort on which ski school you preferred. They will all offer great skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold,
Having already been to Flaine and Val Thorens, I'm more concerned about the skiing rather than the prettiness of the resort: I find it doesn't make make much difference after the third beer!! Toofy Grin
Rob@rar, she will be having lessons but don't have a particular ski school in mind. I suppose with good lessons any of the three would be fine. She's fairly sporty and given the encouragement should progress fairly well. From the looks of things each of the resorts are fairly convenient with a range of skiing, just didn't want to pick a resort that suits me and hope that she'd be alright!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
colbolt, My two pennorth would be to say Tignes (with it's height and glacier) is the 'safer' snow sure bet, and having taken two mates who were week one skiers there in January there is plenty of easy stuff to learn on (Gratalu is I think a very beginner friendly piste easily reached from Val Claret). Meanwhile the whole of Espace Killy will be there for you to play on, whereas the link between Les Arcs and La plagne is down this season I believe. Cost wise though, Tignes / Val D might be a bit more when you take into account eating and drinking.

Like you I don't really give a hoot what a resort looks like.

Re lessons you could try contacting Alan Hole at Alpine Logic: http://www.ski-instruction-tignes.co.uk/ he's based in Tignes and did a great job with my mates. I believe also Steward Woodward teaches there and although I've not had a lesson with him he's a very nice bloke! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
colbolt, Arc 2000 is a good choice for beginners as there is a good range of easy terrain available close to the resort, and some long, gentle pistes that you can progress to. The ski school in Arc 1950 (which is easily reached on foot by the short gondola ride which links the two villages) has a good reputation. I don't know much about the ski school in Arc 2000 (ESF).

Given how much snow has fallen in the last few days I think all your short-listed resorts will be absolutely fine until the end of the season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy