Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rechargeables in transceivers?

Poster: A snowHead
Most instructions say not to use rechargeables in transceivers? Why is this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman,
I think they are meant to be less reliable in the cold from memory.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
whats the problem? normal batteries last an age.....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GordonFreeman, I think rechargeables tend to lose charge, and for some kit you need a decent maintained voltage. I have a couple of radios that will not function well for long with rechargeables, but will last ages with normal ones. My current non-rechargeable batteries have been in my transceiver for a total of 19 days skiing over 2 years. Not a problem - as kitenski says.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Non rechargable Alkaline batteries keep their charge for years.

A rechargable looses its charge between 2 weeks and 3 months completely, depending on type, age and usage. Thus they are too unreliable for something as crucial as a properly and reliably working beep.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The standard batteries in my Tracker have done over 4 weeks & still read over of 90% of charge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, ... we had some fairly detailed discussion on this in the past. Do try the search engine as I seem to remember it was a fairly useful Thread. I contacted several manufacturers on this subject and posted responses. If i can find it I will post a link here ....

... but rechargeables are an absolute no-no. They do lose charge and are very unpredictable in cold conditions. Transceivers use most power in 'Search' mode and in this respect the rechargeables failed miserably in field test conditions.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also rechargables do not run out gradually - they tend to just shut off.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most rechargables fully charged are 1.2 volts and Alkaline ones start at about 1.6 volts. A set of Alkaline ones last me 30 days and still read 1.4 volts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa wrote:
Also rechargables do not run out gradually - they tend to just shut off.

I'm not so sure that's not a design feature of some modern non-rechargeable batteries as well. I think some electronic devices don't work well without full power so newer battery design reflects that, the batteries we used to have that drained to nothing aren't the norm' now I think. As a result, on a Tracker I tend to buy a new set of batteries when they hit 85% or thereabouts and use the old ones for something else.

spyderjon wrote:
The standard batteries in my Tracker have done over 4 weeks & still read over of 90% of charge.

Have you tried turning it on? Very Happy That's a bit unrealistic, I've a set in mine today that's been used for 12 consecutive days and they're reading 88% (or were at lunchtime), that's more realistic, that includes 6 or 7 days with temperatures at -10' and below.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have had four one week ski trips this season, all off piste.

I simply use normal batteries and change them for new ones at the start of each week. It's simple and as far as I am concerned probably the safest way and all it costs is a couple of quid for each week.

I did ski with someone this season who does the same but keeps the old batteries for less critical use. I must admit I thought that approach a bit miserly, but to be fair it is a better environmental approach.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have got some of the "new generation" rechargeables that come fully charged out of the packet, and keep their charge much longer than the older type. Can't remember the name, you can get them off the internet quite cheap. They should work okay in a transceiver..... I think.....! wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richjp, mammut transceivers give a % battery power left which is useful. I change at 50%.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
richjp, mammut transceivers give a % battery power left which is useful. I change at 50%.

My Ortovox also gives an indication but with three indicator bars or less, rather than a precise percentage.

I still prefer to change each week.

Hope you have had a good season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I use new batteries for bleeper, swap when below 90% and then use in headtorch.
snow report
the ice perv wrote:
I have got some of the "new generation" rechargeables that come fully charged out of the packet, and keep their charge much longer than the older type. Can't remember the name, you can get them off the internet quite cheap. They should work okay in a transceiver..... I think.....! wink

It's your life, I wouldn't risk it.
snow conditions
kitenski, It's others lives.. searching uses more juice than transmitting. But the wink gives it away.
ski holidays
Uniross Hybrio, rechargeable with 5 yr life apparently. If you keep an eye on the battery level and carry spares, could be worth a try.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I use new batteries for bleeper, swap when below 90% and then use in headtorch.

I really, really wouldn't do that, that's a classic example of drainage I mentioned, the torch remains bright for a fair while then dies suddenly. When you need a headtorch it can be pretty critical, you really don't want one with flat batteries.

Neither headtorches nor transceivers should be using lithium batteries either as we're on the subject.
ski holidays
At about €4 a four pack of Duracell AA's, it works out at €0.07 or 5 pence per day. I then put them in the remote controls for the TV and Sat receiver, cause they are always nicked, when I arrive, I expect the Kids have felt their need was greater than mine.

Out of interest I charged a set of good quality 2500 mAh last night and this morning they read 1.302 volts a second set that was charged a week ago are at 1.237 volts. However a spare pair of Duracells that have been in my backpack since December read 1.597 and 1.602.
My tranceiver manual has in large bold writing DO NOT USE RECHARGABLE BATTERIES. I for one believe they have a point.
snow report
ise, Fair point.... I don't use that torch for climbing and ski trips, just general camping. Any critical usage = new batts.
snow report
Reality check please. Are we trying to save £2 for three or four AAA batteries ? Shocked

Having spent £300 for avalanche kit, on top of whatever additional expense we suffer for getting some proper off piste or back country skiing, why would we run even a teensy weensy risk that the batteries won't be totally reliable, especially in view of BernardC's correct comment that, once in receive mode, they have only an hour or so of usable life.

I've had my two weeks away this year. A new set went in the Tracker beforehand. Now they're out and powering Buzz Lightyear or something else in the toybox. I will happily shell out another £2 next year for two weeks' peace of mind.
snow report
sproggski, My thoughts exactly.
ski holidays
richjp, cracking thanks - 4 great weeks of skiing. roll on next winter.
latest report
sproggski, if you're searching for an hour it's most likely body retrieval anyway Sad When I got my transceiver I was told to change at 50% left. That seems to be about 4 weeks use including a bit of search practice.

ise, always worth carrying spares for a headtorch, mine ran out of power in the Lakes at a very critical time once, fortunately it was a clear night so I only fell in a bog twice.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
sproggski, if you're searching for an hour it's most likely body retrieval anyway Sad When I got my transceiver I was told to change at 50% left. That seems to be about 4 weeks use including a bit of search practice.

ise, always worth carrying spares for a headtorch, mine ran out of power in the Lakes at a very critical time once, fortunately it was a clear night so I only fell in a bog twice.

Yeah - those pub toilets can be tricky Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy