Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smartwool allergy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got some bridgedales and they do it!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The itching starts only after having my nightly shower just before going to bed and not after immediate removal of the socks. Applying creams don't seem to soothe the itching which is so bad that I've scratched my skin raw at intervals during the night. Itching is around the ankles, shins and calves. Tried different brands of ski socks--most have some wool.

Since I'm allergic to "sparadras" (French word for those bandages, plasters, etc. that have adhesives), I think it's the elastic (for stretch) or or rubber or whatever in the socks that I'm allergic to. In the hospital while undergoing a heart exam, the electrodes that were attached with the gluey stuff left me with the round marks of the electrodes for weeks! Or after a blood test, a simple band-aid applied afterwards caused my skin to suffer a chemical burn with scarring a long time afterwards.

Will nylon or all-silk socks without any stretch solve the problem?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I'm wondering whether we have an issue with liners and the synthetics used inside?
It's some time ago (2000) but when I switched from Technica Explosion 8's to Icon Carbons I got an instant heat/allergic type rash on my lower legs (calves and ankles). Wasn't even skiing - just breaking them in around the house caused the problem. Had to see a doctor and get some Betnovate to calm it down. Was using synthetic socks at the time.

I now wear Smartwool socks over Skins and have Salomon faux leather lined boots and have no issues. The Skins and 'leather' produce very little friction so my guess would be that the itching is a combination of synthetic material intolerance exacerbated by too much friction.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This thread was started in 2008 rolling eyes But as an up date since 2009 using the same liners and socks all my problems have gone away. Same soap powder etc, but I do not use the travel wash anymore, maybe it was something in that. Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Same liners since 2008! You're not getting enough snow time. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Update: Since I first started this thread, and found no solution to my itching, I was told by my doctor that it was to do with blood flow and given a very mild steriod cream which does seem to help a bit. (Actually, it was a french pharmacist who came up with that, seemed to find it quite normal). Annoyingly, I now have the same problem when I go for long days walking with thick socks and well-fitting boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker, 12 weeks a season for the last 6 years seemed reasonable to me, Confused however 2 of the 12 each year have been in touring boots. Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy