Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sierra Nevada advice

Poster: A snowHead
In the hope of a end of season few days skiing, my girlfriend and I are hoping to combine a few days sun with a couple of days skiing in Sierra Nevada at the start of April. Not having been there before we thought it would be best not to book any accomodation and take our chances after assessing the snow situation. Could anyone help with either a) what the snow conditions will likely be? b) any recommendations for reasonably priced accomodation (hotel or apartment)?

Thanks in advance..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TaffyApple, Which Sierra Nevada ? As this would have a great bearing on both your questions.

I'd willingly travel to one but not the other Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure how snowsure it is in April but for cheapish accomodation stay in Granada and then drive up to the resort, takes about 30 minutes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Sierra nevada a couple of weeks ago, stayed in Granada as it is much cheaper. Booked Hostal Atenas through Easyjet hotels £30.00/ night for room only in a twin room.Clean tidy ensuite accomodation.Central in Granada for bars, restauraunts etc.Hotel 2 mins walk to bus stop for bus station 1 Euro (nos 3 or 33) to get bus to Sierra nevada 8 Euros return(40mins).Buy ticket at ticket office in bus station b4 boarding bus, platform 25. Buses leave Estacion de autobuses at 8.00am & 10.00 return at 4.00pm or 6.30pm.
Hope this helps. BTW Snow was fine when we were there but I would check conditions before, plenty of cannons in resort as long as temperatures are low enough. Resort does not close until end of April so you should be OK.
My first post on snowheads.
Mark
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another vote for Granada got a realy nice 4* hotel through "Travel-Republic" for not much cash last year.

PS: Rookiemark, welcome to snowHead 's
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed in Granada last year and got up to the resort for a day. Definitely the way forward. Got the weather right mind as they had 50cm of snow whilst we were they, most of it the day we were at the resort!! Not sure about the resort being open until end of april. I heard heard end of march and then later if snow still around. Certainly not much of resort is open below the mid station unless they have had some good snow as it was freezing when we were there but the snow line was around 100 metres below the resort...

It's worth going to Granada itself and if you get a couple of days skiing in then thats a bonus. Recommend Bodegas Castaneda for great tapas in Granada.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
colbolt, Agree about Bodegas Castaneda only 8 minuites from my hotel as well'
II, Thanks for the welcome
Mark
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for all advice.... Granada looks as if it will be the best bet! We're planning on getting a hire car for the week, so I guess the half hour drive won't be an issue..... fingers crossed for the snow now!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TaffyApple wrote:
thanks for all advice.... Granada looks as if it will be the best bet! We're planning on getting a hire car for the week, so I guess the half hour drive won't be an issue..... fingers crossed for the snow now!

Only problem with car hire in Granada is that parking is horrendous or if you find some very expensive. Used to hire a car when staying in spanish citys but now use public transport due to parking problems one way systems etc
Only use car when visiting small towns/ villages in spain.
PS Parking in Sierra nevada in the main car park is 20 Euros /day
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry for multpple posts slow internet, submitted 3 times Embarassed

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 24-03-08 18:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TaffyApple wrote:

Only problem with car hire in Granada is that parking is horrendous or if you find some very expensive. Used to hire a car when staying in spanish citys but now use public transport due to parking problems one way systems etc
Only use car when visiting small towns/ villages in spain.
PS Parking in Sierra nevada in the main car park is 20 Euros /day
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Found the hotel I was in its: Alhamar Hotel- Granada it's about £50 per room B&B and they have an free underground car park. There was a very good tapas bar within 1 minute walk but I can't mind the name of it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TaffyApple, in the beginning of April you'll find very good snow conditions. Sierra Nevada is known for its good spring snow conditions: bear in mind the resort is at high altitude (at least for spanish standards).

With regard to the accomodation, I always prefer 2 minutes walking to the slopes/lifts rather than 45 minutes to 1 hour drive (forget about half hour, to get away from the Granada streets and going up will take you no less than 45 minutes). Another point favouring the stay uo in the resort is related to the price: these dates are low season...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TaffyApple wrote:
In the hope of a end of season few days skiing, my girlfriend and I are hoping to combine a few days sun with a couple of days skiing in Sierra Nevada at the start of April. Not having been there before we thought it would be best not to book any accomodation and take our chances after assessing the snow situation. Could anyone help with either a) what the snow conditions will likely be? b) any recommendations for reasonably priced accomodation (hotel or apartment)?

Thanks in advance..

Sierra Nevada is very high. The village is at 2100m and the summit is at 3500m. You should be ok for a bit of sliding in early-Apr.

Roughly 80% of the lifts were open today.

But be aware that the resort hasn't seen any snow for over a month. Snowdepths are about 50% below the longterm average.

The skiing should be open, but it may be a somewhat icy or hardpacked.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Carlos_L wrote:
TaffyApple, in the beginning of April you'll find very good snow conditions. Sierra Nevada is known for its good spring snow conditions: bear in mind the resort is at high altitude (at least for spanish standards).

With regard to the accomodation, I always prefer 2 minutes walking to the slopes/lifts rather than 45 minutes to 1 hour drive (forget about half hour, to get away from the Granada streets and going up will take you no less than 45 minutes). Another point favouring the stay uo in the resort is related to the price: these dates are low season...

My preference would be to stay in Sierra Nevada itself, for the pure convenience......... any recommendations on good accomodation within the resort, with hotel parking?
latest report
The best thing to do for parking is to stay in the large resort underground car park. You can always drop your gear off at the hotel and then park the car afterwards. Although there are spaces in the town, they are very limited and you will be lucky to find one. If you park in the wrong place, you may get towed away.

I've been a couple of times in April (the last time was a couple of years ago) when we've been staying on the coast and fancied 2 or 3 days skiing. Both times I turned up without booking. I stayed at the Hotel Mont Blanc which is virtually the first hotel you come to when you drive in and is near the town centre and not too far to walk to the ski lifts. Both times I'd planned on checking a few hotels to see what they were like and to see if they had any end of season deals, but the Mont Blanc is not too unreasonable and I just wanted to go skiing as soon as I got there! I can't remember what I paid.

It's definitely worth going for 2 or 3 days, but still try and avoid the weekends as it will be less crowded.

Hope that helps.
snow report
johnfreeman wrote:
The best thing to do for parking is to stay in the large resort underground car park. You can always drop your gear off at the hotel and then park the car afterwards. Although there are spaces in the town, they are very limited and you will be lucky to find one. If you park in the wrong place, you may get towed away.

I've been a couple of times in April (the last time was a couple of years ago) when we've been staying on the coast and fancied 2 or 3 days skiing. Both times I turned up without booking. I stayed at the Hotel Mont Blanc which is virtually the first hotel you come to when you drive in and is near the town centre and not too far to walk to the ski lifts. Both times I'd planned on checking a few hotels to see what they were like and to see if they had any end of season deals, but the Mont Blanc is not too unreasonable and I just wanted to go skiing as soon as I got there! I can't remember what I paid.

It's definitely worth going for 2 or 3 days, but still try and avoid the weekends as it will be less crowded.

Hope that helps.

Thanks ... that's very useful advice. We're aiming to arrive Saturday lunch time - so not ideal! But are able to stay until Mon/Tues depending on conditions - hopefully some sun later in the week also Smile
snow report
Best car hire I have come across is www.autopro.es if that helps a bit. I've used them over a dozen times and find them really good.

Saw today that on a website somewhere that the Sierra Nevada is open until May 1st. I skied late April in 2004 and had the most amazing conditions.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
TaffyApple wrote:

My preference would be to stay in Sierra Nevada itself, for the pure convenience......... any recommendations on good accomodation within the resort, with hotel parking?

Hi, Hotel Ziryab has a cosy atmosphere and is very well located, literaly 20 m from the slope/gondola. If you can afford to spend some additional €, try the Melia Sol Y Nieve.

With regard to the crowds, usually after easter week the weekends are not so busy. You should have nice skiing days Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy