Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

salomon skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm looking to buy my first set of skis as I don't want to keep renting different ones all the time. Im currently looking at the salomon aero gt +, x-wing 10, x-wing tornado and x-wing fury, all are around the £300 mark incl bindings. Basically, im 19 years old, have been skiing twice for the past 2 years, my height is 180 cm and weight is 165-170. Bascially, I rented some salomon X-wings (cant remember the model unfortunately) in les deux alpes this year and found them great! I really like the look of all the skis and am looking for something that will allow me to master my parrallel and carver turns but still challenge me 5 years down the line. I would say my current achievement level is intermediate, I feel comfortable on blue runs and alot of reds, can ski black ones but still feel uneasy on very steep and uneven snow, or i very icy conditions. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any helpful advice on any of these skis, tried them before etc. Like I said, theyre all around £300, so money isn't really in the equation. I really like the look of the aero gt + but it looks a bit skinner than the others and I'm just worried they won't give the control I'm looking for to master the turns? Thanks for any advice in advance, Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First piece of advice. Don't limit yourself to Salomon. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There a number of different x wings, with quite different specs. Next time you go skiing, find a hire shop that will let you try different skis, and swap them during the week. You may have to pay a bit more for VIP category, but they will probably knock off the cost of the rental if you buy. Buying the wrong ski, even based on others recommendations can be an expensive mistake, (I did it this season Embarassed )

P.S welcome to snowheads Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lofty1988, what Kramer said... Even though I have bought 2 pairs of Salomon skis in the past.

I presume you have bought boots already?

Demo, Demo, Demo...

And you should be able to get really cheap deals at this time of the year...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
First piece of advice. Don't limit yourself to Salomon. wink
Key bit of advice that!

Definitely demo if you get the opportunity.

I wouldn't go for the Furies given what you say. They're more of an all-round ski, and from what you say you want a ski that will develop with you on-piste - the Tornadoes would be a better bet of the two.

Other good ski makes to look at would be Rossignols and Atomics, who usually have good intermediate piste skis. Then, for you next pair of skis, Volkls - but they might not be quite right for you just yet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice guys. I wasn't limiting myself to salomon entirely, its just I liked them last time I tried them, so didn't realy see the point in getting another make. So you guys are saying out of those four the tornados would be the best? Anyone got any comments on the aero gt + ones? stoatsbrother, no I havent bought boots yet, I was going to buy everything together. cheers for all the help, tom
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lofty1988, Boots first... then when and only when you are used to them, choose skis, demo in the meantime, preferably from a resort shop which will subtract the rental off the purchase cost of what you buy - so crucial to demo things they have in stock.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As stoatsbrother says, boots are the items that you really should buy first, they will almost certainly have the most impact on your skiing and control, and will definitely have the most impact on your comfort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with stoatsbrother, one at a time, then it's easier to compare.
As skisimon, says, Tornado would be better than Fury, but since you mention "master my parrallel and carver turns", I'd have guessed the Aeros (if you really want Salomon).
I'd definitely recommend trying similar ski from 2 manufacturers. I Skiied Elan (which I despised), K2 (which I quite liked on easy terrain but didn't like in bumps), and Rossi Cobras and Zenith (which are the only two that have allowed me to progress). I'm interested to compare the Tornadoes against the Rossi Zenith 9's, and the Atomic Metron 9's, since they're nearly all the same dimensions and appear to be aimed at the same kind of level (even if just to rule one or all of them out).

PS if you still have the receipt from the rental shop, then it probably has the exact x-wing model itemised. At least that way you know what to use as a starting point when trying out skis the next time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh ok, great advice. Again when I rented this year I got some expenisve looking salomon boots, so I'd probably look at salomon ones again. Have any of you got any tips for good all round boots for under say £200 and where I could get them? Comfort is probably the most important thing for me, so I can ski from 9-4 for 6 days. thanks guys
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You need a experienced boot fitter to assess your feet, there are a number based in the uk who post on snowheads. CEM being just one. Don't go in wanting a particular brand, just see what they suggest and be very honest about your ability and what you want to ski. Put aside at least a few hours for fitting the boots properly / maybe returning for adjustments and perhaps budget for a custom footbed to support your foot properly. They will be quite different to hire boots.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boots, even more so than skis, can't really be recommended online. Go to someone that knows how to fit boots, there are a couple that hang around here, because they really have to be suitable for your foot. I probably didn't get mine done by the best, but he was good enough to say to me as soon as I went in, and had my feet measured, "I don't care how much you like the look of these boots (points to about three-quarters of the stock), but I won't sell them to you as they aren't designed for your type of foot." Good luck though, and hope you find a decent fitter.

andy, I loved the Z9s (tested them alongside Tigersharks, Tornadoes and Furies). Haven't tried the other two Salomons that lofty1988 mentioned so can't comment on them, but, as you say, could be better for an early intermediate given what I've read of them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lofty1988, just tried the X-Wing 10s (162s) for the first time - I'm 178 cms and about 95 kgs. Thought they were excellent.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy