Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instruction - Does the Quality vary from Country to Country?

Poster: A snowHead
Its great to see old school instructors ski up to a class ankles bolted together then teach the class to carve and when done ski off in the old fashion without looking back to see the confused class Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Axsman wrote:
Another 'old school' instructor once told me that in his opinion, skiing 'fast' was 'easy', it was skiing with 'effortless style and grace' that all skiers should strive for.

Or, as another instructor once said to me, "Maggi, it's supposed to look effortless. But you have to put some bloody effort in!" Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi, Laughing Laughing Laughing (Me2) Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
Ordhan, would you not be worried about a great teacher teaching you rubbish extremely well? I've certainly had that in the past: one of my more enjoyable weeks in ski school because the guy made it so much fun, but he actually taught me more bad habits than I already had at the start of the week!

Teaching rubbish is obviously not a good idea, but I do think that a teacher who has himself/herself had to struggle a bit with technical issues, can have useful insights to impart, in the sense that if you've never experienced the difficulties, you'd be less likely to find ways of overcoming those difficulties. At least, that's what my piano teacher always used to tell me - she was a truly brilliant teacher - and it's notable that, in this country at least, there are separate music conservatoire qualifications for teachers and performers. Or maybe this isn't a fair analogy? Skiing and playing a musical instrument are both (at least partly) about the acquisition of motor skills.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, I think there are enough difficulties in finding ways to move clients forward, especially if they are making slow progress. That's where I think there is much to be said from learning to be a good teacher "in adversity". I'm not convinced that having significant difficulty with reaching the level required in your own performance (perhaps because your technical understanding isn't so good?) is such a great place to start your teaching from?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar,
Quote:

I'm not convinced that having significant difficulty with reaching the level required in your own performance (perhaps because your technical understanding isn't so good?) is such a great place to start your teaching from?

Oh, I agree. The technical understanding has got to be there for every teacher, and a minimum level of performance has to be in place too (it's no good being taught by a complete duffer, given that an important component of good tuition is teaching by example) I was thinking more of the good teacher who had to work that bit harder to achieve the same level of performance as someone with a lot of sheer inborn talent. Someone, in other words, who understands and experiences the difficulties but has himself learned ways round those difficulties and can demonstrate them. I think I would contend that the very top skiers and musicians (peformers) are innately so gifted and well-endowed physically for what they're doing, that a lot of the difficulties are simply outside their ken and that such people are perhaps less likely to make the best teachers of yer average punter. But maybe that's what you meant by 'learning to be a good teacher 'in adversity'?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I see where you're coming from, Hurtle, but an experienced instructor will be able to detect the client's difficulties without needing to have experienced every one for them self. Anyone with that many problems must have picked the wrong job! I believe communication is the most important - both interpreting the client's needs (using all their senses) and teaching how to improve, using whatever sense the client responds best to. At least that's what my instructor says.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andyph,
Quote:

without needing to have experienced every one for them self. Anyone with that many problems must have picked the wrong job

Of course, but that's taking my argument to extremes!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
QED.

But anyway, a major problem would probably be solved with a coach/instructor, so I would argue that it's an increase in understanding of the teaching process that they would benefit from, rather than the experience of overcoming a personal difficulty.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyph, whatever you say. I don't see this as/am not arguing it as a black and white issue.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a fun(!) learning experience in Samoens (France) recently with private instruction, having previously only skied in Austria.

The instructor got me to ski a bit, took one look at me, told me my stance was 'good but that is not how we ski here in France', then spent the next two days trying to knock the Austrianness out of me and give me a bit of French styling (mostly it seemed to be to do with the direction of the upper body and the closeness together of the skis). Talk about confusing! I hear you guys talk of old school and new school and all that stuff and I even have half an idea of what that might be about but I don't really care at this point in my learning curve. I just want to be able to ski any run safely and with a bit of speed so that I can keep up with MrRibena. I did explain this to my instructor from the start but it was almost as if he 'couldn't' teach me from my Austrian base and needed me to do it his way for him to help me onwards. He was great for titbits of info though - I can skate and kickturn with some va-va-voom now.

I've heard the Austrians tut tut at how people are taught to ski in France too so what's sauce for the goose... I told my French guy that the whole lot of them should have their heads banged together and come up with one way to learn to ski. He scoffed, obviously.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges wrote:
As an aside, the Eurogroup includes not just the UK, France, Austria, Italy, but also Germany, the Netherlands, Ireland at least one Scandinavian nation, at least one Central European nation and a couple of others. Next time you meet someone with ISTD or equiv, ask to look at their card - each of the member nations' ski assoc emblems are on it.

I prised one of my colleagues cards out of him today, and the 9 countries of the Eurogroup are:

France
Denmark
The Netherlands
UK
Austria
Spain
Germany
Italy
Belgium
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
An out of date card, then? I am sure that Ireland is a member.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ccl, it is. And I think Slovenia but I'm not sure. Point is it's not just UK, France, Austria and Italy, it's pretty pan-European.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's this years card.
ski holidays
Sorry, I didn't mean the card would be out of date, but that the info on it might be. Thanks for the confirmation slikedges,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy