Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern: big enough for a week ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm starting to plan ski trips for the season 2008-09. Never skied Austrian resorts and considering to go there.

I saw some reports about Obertauern and it seems good stuff Smile However, I'm concerned with just one important aspect: the size...

We're a family goup and we ski mainly reds and blues (one or other black) always on-piste and we prefer to ski a single resort with no need of moving by car or bus during the week. As far as I understood, the resort has "only" about 100 Km of pistes. Usually we ski in larger resorts (for instance Portes du Soleil or Paradiski) and I'm wondering if this is a bit short for a week...

What's your opinions ?

Also, do you have any recommendation for accomodation in appartments ?

Regards,
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a bit bored there for a week in 07. It wasn't tiny but I felt it was lacking in any big, long pistes. It didn't help that we were there in at busy week so the lift queues were a bit ridiculous sometimes.

Do a search, I think it's quite a popular resort on this forum.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fergus, thanks for your answer. As I mentioned in my previous post, I already searched some info and most of the opinions seemed to be very positive. However, I was not sure about this question of resort size for 6 consecutive skiing days...

I hope some of the resort experts can add some info here. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not an expert, having only been there for one week, but we didn't get bored. We did have very good snow conditions and perhaps a resort like this would be good to try off-piste - perhaps take some lessons? There seemed to be a lot of good-looking easily accessible off-piste between pistes. Certainly no need for a car. I think some of the hotels have apartments attached - I'm pretty sure our Hotel Schneider did http://www.schneider.at/englisch/index.html - superb hotel right next to the lifts Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Carlos_L, I went to Obertauern for 2 weeks this season. Also a family group, largely skiing intermediate terrain. My plan had been to spend the last few days doing day-trips to nearby Ski Amade or Schladming but because temperatures got so hot in the second week, we stayed the whole 2 weeks in Obertauern (very glad that booking well in advance, as we always have to do, we had the good sense to book a high altitude (for Austria wink ) resort as most other places in Austria, certainly in Salzburgerland, were just a slush-fest that second week).

Whether it's too small for a whole week depends on how you like to ski. The runs are relatively short as the vertical is limited to 500m! and you can pretty much ski everything pisted in a day or two if a competent skier. Skiing is on both sides of a single valley and there's a clockwise and an anticlockwise circuit you can do which leads you through the main runs in each area. Each way round takes a couple of hours or so. If you're the kind of skier who likes to feel like you're travelling cross mountain through valley it will feel very limited. However, if you're happy to ski each of the runs on the same hillside, work out which you prefer and ski it again, maybe on the left of the run this time, where the snow looked better or you spotted some rollers, or doing bigger carves rather than short swings, you'll have a great time. The pisted terrain is quite fun and attractive, it's reasonably challenging for a family group, and there's plenty enough variety and mileage given the provisos mentioned. The few blacks are appropriately graded but not especially difficult. Certainly we didn't feel too limited and will definitely be back at some point. There's also a fair amount of enjoyable off piste on the south-west side of the valley not too difficult but interesting, and some off-piste routes off the top of the north-east side which looked interesting and I'm told are well worth a slide.

Don't know about apartments I'm afraid but otherwise HTH. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, cathy, thanks, very good info Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy