Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VOLKL SUPERSPORT S5

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from Ortisei-beautiful scenery,nice people and great food.Will definitely go back.
I am an intermediate and hired the Volkl's as they were a 4S ski(last years model) and I wanted something half-decent to ski on,but really struggled with my technique from the off-Ok slushy moguls are not my forte,but higher up the mountain the snow was fine and I still struggled.I weigh 80 kg approx and the skis were 168 cm long.I also found them to be very heavy.
Were these skis too much for me at my level and weight?
Iain
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone got these or something similar?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I assume you mean 4 stars? With the double grip stuff that volkl put on the supersports compared to the earlier ones meant they got much heavier. I would not be too hard on yourself, the tune could have been bad, often is on hire skis (the more they are tuned the shorter the life of them). Next time you go, if they feel bad, go back and swap them for something else, or hire from a shop that will allow you to swap skis to see what you like, one persons wonder ski can be anothers nightmare
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yanto, I've got the women's version, and love them. They are heavier than comparable skis, and they do demand pretty confident skiing. Any decent hire shop should let you change if you're not happy with what you've got. Maybe next time you go, tell the shop you found them tricky, try something else, and then give the Volkls another shot for a day (or a morning) when you've got your ski legs back?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yanto, we have four pairs of Volkl skis between the two of us in the docsquid household, and love them - one Volkl Attiva S4 (ladies version of what you tried), one Racetiger SL Racing, one Racetiger GS Racing and one Supersports 5*. But I get the impression that, unlike many other makes, people either love or hate Volkl skis.

I'd say that they are really good skis IF you like a heavy, stable ski, that is very stiff and gives amazing edge grip on piste, particularly on icy surfaces. They are very good if you ski them hard and positively. The downside is that they are relatively heavy, so rotational them, such as you have to do on bumps, is more difficult. They are also stiff and unforgiving, making bumps skiing harder, and all four pairs are poor off piste (but since 80-90% of our skiing is done on-piste this was our priority.

On paper they are completely the wrong ski for me (extremely small and light female), but I ski very positively, and I love them.

If, as you suggest, you were skiing slushy moguls most of the time, then I'd say you didn't have a brilliant ski for this. We had to do a fair bit of this in 3V a couple of weeks ago, and my Racetigers were relatively hard work due to the weight and stiffness.

I wouldn't write them off, but perhaps choose a different ski depending on the snow conditions - most hire shops will let you swop if you don't get on with a ski. I tried out loads before settling on the Racetigers.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for that guys.To tell you the truth I was knackered after a days skiing on that things,like I been fighting them all day.I have Nordica Gransport S10's which I skied in Tignes in Jan and they felt far easier and smoother.Probably a combination of factors.I was reluctant to take them to Italy as Ryanair wanted £50 for transporting them,but maybe better the devil you know.I'll be more careful in ski selection the next time
Cheers
Iain
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy