Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

On-piste avalanches in the Brevent/Flegere ski area

Poster: A snowHead
Earlier this week there were two reports of on-piste avalanches in the Brevent/Flegere ski area (France). The first one occurred in Brevent, when a slide swept across the piste des Souces, taking a British woman with it. Fortunately, she was rescued immediately by a pisteur and helicoptered to Chamonix hospital suffering from spinal injuries....The second occurred a few minutes later, this time on the Flegere side of the area, when an avalanche slid across the base of the Lachenal piste. Once again rescue services were on site immediately and, after searching for an hour, declared that there were no victims.

Source: http://www.chamonet.com/whats_new_article.php?id_whats_new=3226&id_back=1
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Remember Helen that if you are reading it on shamonet it has been reported elsewhere first. Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How often do on piste avalanches occur every year?
Or are theymore likely offpiste ones that fell onto the pisted areas?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix has three principal areas where there are three principal pistes that are avalanche prone due to the mountain. No piste when prepared will ever avalanche in theory, albeit snowfall can keep them closed.

Brevant: Stade Slalom/Blanchot due to Hotel Face.
Flegere:Chochues/Floria due to Broché Index
Grands Montets; Bochard/Chamois due to Chevre Canadian.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How come these ones went then? Die to the heavy snowfall Chamonix got just before?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman wrote:
How come these ones went then? Die to the heavy snowfall Chamonix got just before?

The link given says:

Quote:
As a result of the snowfall and high winds we’ve been having this week, the avalanche risk in the valley has risen to considerable (3/5). Yesterday, two on piste avalanches were reported on the Brevent/Flegere ski area.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, she'll be writing government dossiers next. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
what's that supposed to mean bh1?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin, ask Ibrahim al-Marashi.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why, will he know what moves you to make snide comments on our news topics at regular intervals?

davidof, was referring to Chamonet's propensity, in his opinion, to spot news from other sites and not credit the source duly. Something we ourselves have never yet been accused of by him nor by anyone else.
I suggest that your obvious eagerness to be disparaging of our snowNews column has got the better of you here.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bh1 wrote:
admin, ask Ibrahim al-Marashi.

Possibly the world's greatest skier, though Jef Wickes is often mentioned.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin wrote:
Why, will he know what moves you to make snide comments on our news topics at regular intervals?

I suggest that your obvious eagerness to be disparaging of our snowNews column has got the better of you here.

You're right, I'll only be disparaging to the ones that are blatantly plagiarised. Apologies.

Am I banned from coming to the EOSB 2009?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timeline for reporting of this incident seems to be:
Pistehors: 14th March, followed by
Chamonet: 15th March followed by
Snowheads: 21st March

Perhaps davidof is therefore due the source credit?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, the key thing from pistehors' point of view (apart from the aspect of courtesy)- since they got the scoop - is to click through to their original news item ...

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0820-serious-avalanche-off-piste-at-les-arcs/

... partly because it contains a lot more than simply the news of the Chamonix incident.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi David,

I was thinking more of the reports in the Dauphine Libere on the morning of the 15th rather than some obscure item buried on PH.com. Just to clear this up: I've had an email from Chamonets saying the information came directly from the lift company so apologies to them in this instance. I got the info 2nd hand from someone who heard it from the PGHM rather than the lift company as they rarely like talking about such stuff.... indeed I've had discussions with the CMB asking me to pull stories because of the bad publicity.

However they have copied stuff from snowheads and pistehors amongst others. Personally this wouldn't bother me hugely as I don't make money out of PH.com by flogging chalet weeks or otherwise if they only linked back to the source.
snow report
admin wrote:

davidof, was referring to Chamonet's propensity, in his opinion, to spot news from other sites and not credit the source duly. Something we ourselves have never yet been accused of by him nor by anyone else.

admin, a couple of points:

1. In any reciprocal sense a snowHeads news report must go beyond crediting the source to provide a high chance of a click-through to the source (otherwise the source gains nothing financially from the story being used). Credits alone don't generate income. There are important aspects to how the text is written to achieve this.

2. You've been invited to comment on snowHeads policy regarding photo-sourcing for news items. These photos are demonstrably never credited to source.

3. My recollection (correct me) is that you were very keen to see Google News recognise snowHeads as an original news provider/source (which Google will only do if a news provider is predominantly publishing original news). On some occasions snowHeads has achieved that objective - most notably with the Tignes cablecar evacuation in Nov 2004, reported from the scene by ise, reported to the forum by PG and contributed to by others on a co-operative basis:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3349&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=grande+motte+cablecar&start=0

There's a chemistry to journalism.
snow report
bh1 wrote:
admin wrote:

You're right, I'll only be disparaging to the ones that are blatantly plagiarised. Apologies.

Am I banned from coming to the EoSB 2009?
Why, is that a particular desire of yours?
ski holidays
i'm more interested in hearing more about these on-piste avalanches.

so really only chamonix this affects?

: - )
snow report
We saw many small avalanches pouring off the surrounding peaks whilst skiing there on both the Lachenal and Cornu pistes on 23 March. Didn't feel safe at all especially as viz was down to about 25m due to exceptionally heavy snow. Called it a day in the end
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy