Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LA Tania w/c5th April? Suggestions please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Im new here - My daughter (7) and I are off to La tania w/c 5th April for a ski trip - thing is my partner has recently left me so things will now be extremely tight cash wise has anyone got any good tips on money saving whilst we are there reasonable places to eat on the mountain and also in resort - esp pizza for the chalet night off.
Also is there anyuthing else I can do kid friendly whilst Im there - as this is likely to be the last ski holiday we have for a very very long time ( Mad I would love to make it really special. Also if anyone out there fancies showing us some good runs we would love it - we are both reasonable skiiers - reds etc and even did our 1st black this yr in Plan Peisey before exp decided to bug off with no notice whatsoever - sorry about that Whre does the best hot chocolate and how much etc etc.....
Also I know this is a difficult one but is it worth getting the full 3 valley pass or shall I stick to courchevel area pass - I know its tricky to predict due to snow conditions will help dictate it obviously - also How long would it take on avge to get to VT from La Tania??????????
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hiya taken4granted, Welcome to snowHeads, home of the snowObsessed, haven for the bitter and twisted Wink Get it all out now girl - then u can be free to refresh your spirit on the slopes snowHead

I've not stayed in La Tania itself myself so I don't know the local details but I don't believe it's the most expensive corner of the 3v.

If you're really tight on cash, there's enough skiing in Courchevel to keep you entertained for the week but if you plan to go into Meribel/VT more than once, the difference in cost between a couple of extensions and a full week's pass for the whole area is so minimal, it's not worth the extra hassle.

A fast skier will get up to VT in a little over an hour from LT.

Are you hiring kit? It may be worth sorting out a discount in advance. 20% is usually easy to achieve on the phone/net but if u wait til you're in resort, they usually think they have you on the spot Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A good way of saving money is if your in self catering accomodation. To return to the accomodation for lunch time meals instead of eating out.

Its extra hassle and means returning to the your accomodation from a morning on the piste, but it is a good way of keeping costs down.

Regular hot chocolates and coffee breaks soon mount up in price. So that is another way of keeping costs down, less chocolate chaud's and coffees.

Im not sure how you're going to make it extra extra special if you're strapped for cash. Even though not all the best things in life are money related.

Dont know the area so I cant help you on that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to La Tania quite a few times - its great! The resort is really small and the restaurants/cafes are all next to each other at the bottom of the slopes - so you can easily compare prices across them! There is a pizza place not to expensive. La Tania is definitely cheaper than any of the other Courchevel stations.. avoid 1850!

The only thing about La Tania is that as it is the other side of a mountain from the rest of Courchevel sometimes you don't want to head back home for lunch - but there are lots of picnic benches around all marked on the piste map so you can always pack a sandwich - the ones at the top of the Signal chairlift have a great view!

If you want to try cheap extra activities then there are a few cross country ski pistes from La Tania - the access to them is free. But one thing you definitely shouldn't miss is the sledge piste!! It goes between Courchevel 1850 and Courchevel 1550 through the trees and is a piste just for sledging - its about 1.6 km long and great fun! Then you can take the cablecar back up - they leave the cable car going till about 7.30 so you can go at the end of the day after skiing free (or you can do it during the day and as long as you've got your ski pass still take the cable car)
You may need to hire sledges though but I don't think its very expensive to do that. I've been up to La Tania quite a few times this season as I live in France but I only just discovered the sledging! It is definitaly worth a go!!!

Anyway hope you have a great week! Its snowing here again at the moment so hopefully the snow will be nicely topped up for your trip!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.latania.co.uk may help
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hey thanks for the suggestions the s ledging sounds like it would be great fun and at the end of the day as it will be our last holiday i figure a credit card is worth using! Ill pay it off eventually - I need to take my mind off the worry of how Im going to be able to afford to live when I get back anyway - and it is really important to me that my daughter and I have the ski trip to remember for a long long time to come. (God I hate the fact that I might not ski for a good few yrs ) Im a late comer to skiing and have been totally hooked been twice for the last 2 yrs and just love the mountains the excercise the pople and everything. The sandwich idea is a greatone will deffo do that and was also going to book online my ski hire this week as well due to discounts. I think Ill make a decision on the lift pass when I get there but I do quite fancy going up to VT as I said I want to make the most of this ski trip - will also consider doing the lottery when I get back you never know - Life would be good if I won and then I wouldnt have to worry about not having any money to buy a house and I could take dd skiing agin every yr as well! - shes a little monster on the slopes - weve only been going 3 yrs and she did her 1st black run this yr she loves moguls etc ( I dont) oh yes are there any kiddy friendly snowparks with mini jumps etc in la Tania area as she loved the one in Les Arcs earlier this yr it became a daily trip!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The park in Mottaret, just up above Meribel, has an exellent snowCross run with banked corners and rollers that give you just as much air as you dare. I've never known a kid not to love it!

It's under the Platierres lift on the way to/fro Val Thorens.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
taken4granted, I've stayed in 1850 and was in La Tania for the last week. My opinion is that you shouldn't shell out for a 3V lift pass for yourself and your daughter for the week, because there's plenty of skiing on the Courchevel pass. My fav slopes in the whole area are above Val Thorens and Les Menuires, but it's a straight business-like ski to get there in the morning in time (i.e. not a fun ski with your girl) and if money is tight then I'd stick with where you are. If you stick with the La Tania/1850/1650 slopes you'll have plenty. Also it will be worth making sandwiches for lunch. Restaurants can be pricey there and stopping to eat in them will take up time when you clearly want to be out and about. The restaurants at the bottom of the slopes are reasonable too, just browse the menus when you're there and take your pick. I hope you have a good one.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
taken4granted, Got back from La Tania yesterday afternoon.

Did a full weeks skiing, but only bought the Courchevel lift pass. We ski quite hard and still found that there was plenty to amuse us without shelling out for the whole 3V pass. The reds/black runs above 1650 were lovely and quiet and the reds down from the highest points above 1850 are also brilliant. To break up the "hard" skiing, there are some really nice tree lined runs down to 1550 and 1300 (although I'm not sure what these will be like in April).

As for food - we ate most our lunches in La Tania (mainly because we had to get back to meet someone from Ski School). The cafe's at the bottom of the La Tania blue run are pretty good value and not that expensive (certainly not when you compare them to the prices up on the mountain). Paninis were about 5 euro, pizza's about 8 euro (big enough for two sharing) and the galettes in the creperie were particularly tasty and only about 4 euro. Outside of La Tania there is a good value place called the the white bear (l'ours blanc) at the foot of the slopes in 1650. It does takeaway, so you can enjoy your panini and hot chocolate in the sun while laughing at the tiny toddlers in the ski school opposite learning to ski.

As for where to have fun with a kid, we were all grown ups but still had a great time on:

The "Snow Cross" (a little mini winding downhill course where you basically get into tuck position and go as fast as you can. It's only short, but should be good fun for kids).
The "Stop Zone" (a little fenced off area where you go as fast as you can through a speed gun and gives your speed in KM/h. I's too short a run to get up real speed, but still fun for kids).

There are also two "fun areas" that are not official snow parks, but are areas of lots of jumps and bumps just off the main pistes. These are marked on the piste map with a smiley face - there are two of them above 1850.

The is also a natural bowl or half pipe type thing that has been formed off the main pistes but visible from the "Signal" chair lift. It's good fun for kids and has some jumps and bumps dotted around.

There is also a proper snow park with ramps and rails etc but i stayed well clear of this so can't comment!

If you want any extra info, feel free to drop me a PM.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a quick reccommendation for SkiAmis: http://www.skiamis.com/ski/specials/specials.htm

I stopped at Balkiss last year and it was great, its what they call a 'premium' chalet so you get a little bit more for your money.

We walked past the Christine, and with it being so huge (up to 28 people) it doesn't look that appealing, but at £199 for the week you're going, for a catered chalet it doesn't seem too bad!

I must admit after stopping in self-catering this year, I do prefer it over catered, personal preference I suppose, but by booking later you can make some good savings in the catered sector...

Joe Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Tania Charity Day is on Wed 9th April - lots of fun and games for kids plus the procession / race of floats down the Troika run, BBQ, Harley Davidson rides, Outside bar and live music on the terrace of the Ski Lodge, always a great day.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i stayed at christine in Jan and had a great room, the food staff were very good. and it was really cheap. could be a good option.. if they have deals going
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
taken4granted, I was there in February and the best hot chocolate we found was in Rockies cafe in Courchevel 1650. I can't remember how much it was though. To get to Rockies you go down the escalator near the bottom of the gondola in 1650 and it's just across the road and turn left.

For eating on the mountain during the day we found the cheapest option was the snackbars attached to some of the restaurants.

On going to VT, we only got there one day but if you ski over in the morning, have lunch there and then gradually ski back again then you'll be fine for time. If you miss the lifts for La Tania then try get back to Saulire and ski down to Courchevel and get the free ski bus back to La Tania.

It's a lovely area - hope you have a great time!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
taken4granted, We were in the 3v's around the 3rd April last year by which time the sledge run was just a muddy track and was closed for the season so might be worth checking before making any promises.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers for that very good point may just poodle on over there and surprise her if its open
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy