Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passport Emergency HELP!

Poster: A snowHead
We travelled to France two years ago with our freinds & all three of their kids passports were ot of date, we were in same position as you, we realised too late to do anything about it & couldn't get an appointment in time either. The difference was we were driving, we had ferry crossing with P & O, customs were fine, we phoned in advance & asked their advice they said as long as we had additional ID ie: Birth Certificates, that it would be ok, & it was fine, we had no problems at all, either end. I know it's a long shot but you she could try to cadge a lift with someome on snowheads.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kewhoward, Sorry didn't post earlier - can't get used to it being Friday. Look I don't want to put a downer on this but you are in a bit of a cleft stick TBH. However, since your flight from Leeds is very early, try getting on the flight anyway (personally I wouldn't but then I'm a Wuss Embarassed ). If you get the knock back, hightail to Liverpool passport office (its in Old Hall street, City Centre next to the Liverpool Echo Offices and is not in Water Street any more). I reckon if you turn up all ready to go they will let you sort your passport out there and then. Take loads of id though. Then get a flight from Liverpool to GVA and your done. You may miss a day and it will cost you an arm and a leg but at least you will get away.

Good luck mate!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks again everybody. 5 hours to go and we're following halfhands plan. I'll let you know but probably not for a week - I'm in the hapless postion of having to go and feel desparately guilty at the prospect of leaving my wife behind. But the only other choice is to stop the kids going...Rock and hard place I think. stay tuned..... Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kewhoward, tough one mate, All the best snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kewhoward, This is gonna come too late but my OH has just informed me that the passport office is unlikely to be open today Embarassed Sorry mate looks like I put you on a bum steer. Hope you got away at some point. Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont,

D'oh! Must read more carefully! Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler, Helen Beaumont, And if you both read a bit further up the page ... wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kewhoward, good luck
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wonder how he got on.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly wrote:
Wonder how he got on.

Its if 'she' got on or not!

sounded like he was getting on whatever
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So - here's what happened...

Manchester 04:00 Picked the check-in queue manned by a lad who looked like he'd come stright to work from the Hacienda (or watever it is these days!). waved through.

04:30 Security - just looked at boarding ticket

05:30 Boarding - matched name on passport to boarding ticket - didn't look at date

08:30 Chambery immigration Ohhhh Nooooooo. Spots date. We look shocked and amazed that useless UK officials have missed what the super professional M Le Dounier has spotted. He makes phone calls, writes things down and.........

LETS US IN AND SAYS DONT TELL ANYBODY Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Today on way back spotted at every juncture but just a bit of a telling off

Oh and it snowed

Lots snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Thanks again for all message of support and don't forget to check your expiry date again and again and again and again.......
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kewhoward, What a result Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley Cool . This needs smilies
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When we flew back into the UK last week, admittedly from Spain not France but I see no difference, there were a couple of UK lads in the queue in front faffing around with papers and no passport. When they got to the customs desk it turns out they had driving licences, photo card AND paper copy, and they had no problems at all. We were next in line behind them and they didn't even ask them where their passport was so we assumed this must be a legal way to travel in the EU?

kewhoward, hope you get it sorted!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kewhoward, Oh and I assume the divorce is postponed Twisted Evil
snow report
Just realised my post was REALLY late and didn't see there was a page2 to this thread Embarassed Embarassed Hehe, attention to detail not too god today. Glad it all worked out though.
latest report
kewhoward, excellente. Now all you need to do is discourage your wife from strapping explosives to herself and jumping onto public transport, which I imagine will be her first instinct.
snow report
fantastic.... and with all the snow what a result!
snow report
kewhoward, fantastic! Have been wondering how you got on - especially when in queue at tunnel on Fri night Very Happy
snow report
richmond, That's right - but what kind of terrorist would forge a two day out of date passport ? (and no irish jokes please - lots of eirean firends here on snowHead 's).

Still can't quite believe it and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody - on the way back it was noticed at check in, french emmigration and UK immigration but by then, who cares? The crucial one was the first one - Manchester check-in at 4 am - I thought we had no chance but shows what I know.

Did I mention we were in Les Arcs 2000. Snow was mega - as reported elsewhere by others. LA2K a bit odd design wise (I actually like Flaine, Avoriaz, Tignes but wasn't so keen on this one), but loved the skiing above LA2k and Vallandry and LA1600 and 1800 and Villaroger. Mind you I'd have been happy anywhere after the lead up to this one...

Thanks again and thefatcontroller, great graphics - that exactly how we felt!

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
kewhoward, I can only imagine the relief you guys felt when you got through the passport control the other end. Time for another Irish jig.
snow report
kewhoward, don't want to put a downer on your luck, but lets hope that there were no repercussions for either the airline or the guy that checked you in.

If you travel with incorrect documents the airline is liable for a fine. From what you have written it seems like the Chambery people took some details so it's possible it has gone back to the airline. If it gets back to the airline as a fine then you can be sure they'll go after the check-in guy.

I know he wasn't doing his job properly, but if he had been, you wouldn't have gone ski-ing.

It's entirely possible he doesn't have that job anymore.
snow conditions
bladeskier wrote:
kewhoward, I know he wasn't doing his job properly, but if he had been, you wouldn't have gone ski-ing.

It's entirely possible he doesn't have that job anymore.

You are absolutely right (except I would have gone and left Mrs KH at home Toofy Grin )

I genuinely hope the gut doesn't get sacked and at the macro level agree she shouldn't have been able to travel (though why didn't the UK sign the Schengen Accord???)

At the micro level I'm as happy as a canine with an extra appendage.... snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
kewhoward wrote:
why didn't the UK sign the Schengen Accord???

They signed half of it (or at least cooperate with part of it) for police and judicial cooperation only.

Glad you got there and back. Maybe would have been different if you went through Geneva or any airport where electronic reading of the passport is prevalent.
ski holidays
andy wrote:
Maybe would have been different if you went through Geneva or any airport where electronic reading of the passport is prevalent.

Manchester did have electronic reading on the way back (which picked it up and cue another telling off) but not on the way out...go figure UK's priorities there...
snow conditions
bladeskier wrote:

I know he wasn't doing his job properly.

Surely the point is that immigration/passport agencies are slightly less concerned about who is LEAVING the country than who is entering it. Toofy Grin
snow report
bladeskier wrote:
lets hope that there were no repercussions for either the airline or the guy that checked you in.

Why? If the guy didn't do his job as he should have, why should he and his employer get away with it? The fact that kewhoward's wife should obviously have been allowed to travel is beside the point.
snow conditions
My son lost his passport between boarding the plane at Bristol and getting to passport control at Geneva. They wouldn't let him through and said that he's have to return to the UK. When the police turned their backs a security guard came up to him, took a copy of his driving licence and let him through the French side! He reported the passport lost in Chamonix and the following Sunday was waved through the Swiss side of the airport by the same guy who'd let him out the previous week. No problem!

Incidentally, the passport turned up in lost property at Dortmund Airport... Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sue S, Going and coming back through Geneva 3 weeks ago they didn't even look at our passports
snow conditions
great news pal. Little Angel
ski holidays
bladeskier wrote:
don't want to put a downer on your luck, but lets hope that there were no repercussions for either the airline or the guy that checked you in.

bladeskier Have you ever been to Chambery? I have. It can be best summed up by the phrase 'I spent a week there one morning'. This incident happened early on a Saturday/Sunday morning, a rather sleepy gendarme was greeted by a plane full of skiers and one happened to have a passport issue. He rung his mate/boss who advised him that if he made an issue of it he would have 27,141 forms to complete and he would not finish his shift for 17 hours. He thought long and hard and said 'fork it', 'on your way thehowardfamily'. Nothing will come of it. I would love to think that electronic systems were so joined up but the check at Chambery is by hand and not scanned. The cop did the lazy but right thing bearing in mind the 'terrorist' in front of him wink Laughing
snow conditions
Geneva rarely if ever check our passports on arrival. They see the maroon EU cover amd wave you through. However someone in front of us had a foreign passport (possibly US) and was subjected to increased scrutiny.
snow report
kewhoward, Well done. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
halfhand, Thanks - still Laughing about it and can't believe our luck. Not something I would advise... snowHead
snow conditions
kewhoward, I still can't begin to think how brown your pants were on the morning you were leaving.... Embarassed
snow report
thefatcontroller, My tactic was to remain asleep with my eyes open (it was a 2:30 taxi for a 4:00 am check in) It all felt a bit unreal. Still does.... snowHead
latest report
kewhoward, you must be a cool customer - I would have bottled that in some way... It's the 2 lots of UK check in - desk and gate - that I'm amazed you got past, they always seem to take a really long look
latest report
red 27, Desparate rather than cool - kept having flashbacks to Midnight Express - I now know I couldn't be a drug smuggler Laughing

Meanwhile - the story has taken a different turn on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=38606&highlight= if your still interested....

snowHead
latest report
kewhoward, Years and years ago I was living in Cardiff and going home on the ferry out of Holyhead to Dublin. It meant getting a 7pm train or so out of Cardiff to Holyhead. I went for a few pints near the station with some mates before the train. They were very giggly in the pub. I knew there was some sort of joke on the go but I could not suss it. Anyway just before I got on the train they came clean. They had rung Holyhead customs and given my description saying I was carrying a load of coke (the white stuff) through that night on the ferry. They then got me to empty my canvas clothes bag and underneath the cardboard support in the bottom they had placed a large bag of flour tightly sealed into the base Shocked Shocked Shocked all done when I had been in work that day. I took it all oout of the bag and went through customs one very, very scared man that night. Didn't get stopped though but I had brown pants. Twisted Evil

Good practical joke though. Fork they paid dearly later Twisted Evil
snow report
thefatcontroller, Don't tell the guys on the other thread - they'd have you and your mates banged up in a Turkish jail doing yoga in the shower all day.... rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy