Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help choosing a resort for early March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm a beginner going abroad with a group of around 10 in early March - mostly beginners, some more advanced.
We are struggling to decide on a venue so i'd appreciate any advice.
The main criteria : Slopes not too busy, good ski school, middle-range price, accommodation still available, variety of runs and snow! We aren't too worried about nightlife as we are going primarily to ski / board, but good local facilities would definately be a bonus. We think a package option is probably the best bet. We've considered Levi - Finland, Andorra and Val Cenis so far.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, wanderer9. What sort of budget are you working on? And what sort of accommodation? You have a huge range of places to choose from. If you head to France, go the week beginning 8 March, as the previous week is a busy school holiday week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi,

thanks for replying - budget i'd say is £500-600, seems to me like most packages include ski pass/ equipment.

accommodation-wise, we are quite flexible...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wanderer9, Geilo in Norway is good for beginners. It's a small resort, with limited advanced pistes - but lots of choice for beginners/intermediates.

You should be able to get a cabin or maybe even a catered chalet for that sort of cash (we did). I think only Neilson organise package trips to Geilo - so try them.

Most package prices do not include equipment/lift passes - these are nearly always additional charges on top of the basic holiday price - so make sure you take this into account.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wanderer9, some beginner packages do include everything, but on the whole they don't. £500-600 is a fairly tight budget (and you'll spend money on lunches and beers over and above that) so we'll get thinking about some ideas. Norway is a very expensive place to drink! I don't know Andorra but that is probably a good idea - the ski schools there have a good reputation. If there's any snow.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi wanderer9, Have you thought about Livigno, Italy. I've been about 4 times now, always in the 1st or 2nd week in March and the snow has always been great. There is a wide range of accommodation available to suit most budgets and the real plus is that the whole place is duty free so (especially) drinks are very reasonable. The ski school is pretty good and with two mountains to choose from, plenty of choice for beginners and intermediates.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would also plump for Italy for value for money resorts.I've done Passo Tonale 3 years-compact resort well suited to beginners/ints and linked to Ponte de Legno which has great advanced tree-lined skiing,and the snow quality is very good-2.5m high up!Ryanair fly to Bergamo-2 hour drive.Try a search for hotels there-quite often availability.Better in an apartment/residence and eat out every night as it's so cheap and the food is great
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
appreciate the help everyone - let me just point out that the budget can be a little flexible and that figure was only for flights and accommodation.
For me, one of the most important things is quiet slopes - i don't expect to have the runs to myself (!), but would like to be able to concentrate on my boarding without worrying about wiping out some poor kids (or more to the point, being shown up by them!) would the italy resorts fall into this category?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wanderer9, I can only comment about Livigno and to be honest it does not have a reputation for empty pistes, that said with two mountains to choose from, i'm sure you can find the space you need.

Try typing Livigno skiing into youtube, lots of recent videos- may help to make your mind up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want really quiet slopes, and don't mind the apres being equally quiet, come to Les Saisies. Good for beginners - the more experienced skiers can go to the lift linked Notre Dame de Bellecombe. But you'd need to get private lessons (groups all French). They're good value here. Being used to skiing here I get a culture shock when I go to places like Tignes, Val D'Isere or Flaine. Heaving.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about the Italian Dolomites. Our place in San Cass is excellent for beginners as it's on the piste and ski school is brilliant. All booked up thought except for 15th - 22nd March and the cost is £399 including transfers from Venice. Beautiful mountian restaurants that are easy to access by all levels of ability.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The slopes in Levi are normally not to crowded, it's a great place to learn.

Some bargains to be had too Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy