Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small French resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for some really small resorts in France or Germany - the type that you tend to see in New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine etc. A small mountain/hill with a few runs as I'm taking my 6 year old shortly and will be driving down but don't want a resort that will overwhelm her! Any advice?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, you've left it a bit late for small French resorts most of whom will shut immediately after easter or by end of March at the latest. With poor snow below 1700m some have shut already.

This is probably the year of big, high altitude resorts.

Certainly don't look below 1200m at the moment. Last weekend I was at Hirmentaz, Pras-Lys-Sommand and la Grande Terche. All would suit your requirement and all still had reasonable conditions. There is reasonable snow in the Jura above 1200m - Crozet might fit the bill but some of the lifts are a bit violent.

Remember the small resorts will largely mean drag lifts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
an alternate suggestion might be a small area of a larger ski domain eg monetier from serre chevalier, os en oisans from alpe d' huez, courchevel 1650 and stick that to area - at least you ahve access to the higher areas of necessary
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MattyNeth, You mention France or Germany, but Courmayeur and Pila on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc tunnel could fit the bill. Both are relatively small, and very friendly. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been to New England so don't know how the comparison works. There are quite a number of small French resorts. One thing I would be a little cautious about is the amount of English spoken in group lessons if this is your plan.

The Maurienne valley has a lot Termignon looks pleasant, Bonneval is very attractive and snow sure and small but the pistes are not great for a beginner. Val Cenis is somewhat bigger but not overwhelming with good easy skiing and English speaking lessons.

Further south Puy St Vincent is a child friendly medium small resort that has a following amongst snowHeads with an English speaking ski school that sounds good. There are several other small resorts nearby such as St Veran that I have never tried.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MattyNeth, when were you planning to go?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MattyNeth, Having skied with kids of that age, they tend to look no further than the end of their nose. The size of resort is not important IMHO, but quiet and suitable terrain is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timing is key here.

In Northern Germany, the Wurmberg in Braunlage http://www.wurmberg-seilbahn.de/ looks set to open this weekend. That'll depend on snow, as will how long it remains open. Farther west, Winterberg is open http://www.winterberg.de/, and in the Black Forrest there is skiing on the Feldberg http://www.liftverbund-feldberg.de/ until 13 April. These places are low (and not in the alps), and the snow will not last long if it gets warm. These places can also get mobbed on weekends as they are the closest skiing to a lot of major population centers (like the whole of Northern Germany and the Netherlands).

In German alps and foothills, you have lots of options. http://www.bergfex.com/deutschland/ is a good resource for locating ski areas. They are all pretty small and low key, with Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Oberstdorf being the largest. Apart from the Zugspitze (the glacier at Garmisch-Partenkirchen), I imagine Oberstdorf will have the longest season.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would agree with the comments of Davidof, but if the snows good and its open then Bernex is good for children
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
MattyNeth, Les Saisies is open in until 25 April, though part of the area will close the week before. It's not that small, but it is very unintimidating and friendly. I can't imagine you're looking for group lessons in English, if you want a small French resort! (If you do, you'd be out of luck, but there are instructors who speak enough English for private lessons, which are good value).

If you were thinking of early to mid April, it should be fine. Have a look at the website lessaisies.com
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should have said, Les Saisies is at 1650m.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MattyNeth, Why would your child be overwhelmed? and even so why would this be a problem?

if its because you want quiet slopes fair enough. But other than that I dont understand why larger resorts are a problem?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loads of little ones down here in the Pyrenees - Pereygudes, Ax les thermes, Luz St Sauveur (Ardiden), Gourette, Pierre st Martin, Bareges (a large resort), Gavarnie, les Angles....... check out the French tourist office websites for the French resorts for good unbiassed info. Just type the resort name and "Office Tourisme" after as a search term to find them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi - thank you so much for all the replies Very Happy

I didn't realise there were so many smaller resorts Shocked
I'm just looking for somewhere quiet so do want to avoid some of the bigger resorts that can get very crowded. This has really helped.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MattyNeth, you said in your initial post France or Germany, would you extend that to include Austria as well?
If so there's 322 resorts listed here to keep you busy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy